Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you trim your own? UPDATE 8-6-2012

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM
  • 28 Replies

Its almost back to school for the kids so next week they will get their hair cut. I noticed today for the first time in years I need a trim. 3 years ago I shaved my head and let it grow. We've always been tight on money but how my hair grew it was very healthy. I just noticed that I have bad split ends.

DH says I can't get a hair cut as kids need them more then me. So I am trying to figure out how to trim my own hair.

So what is the best way to do it? My hair is just past my shoulders.

UPDATE!!!!

I did it I cut my hair on my own with help of my DH. I used a mix of few different YouTube video's to guide me. I got up this morning said today is the day. Went got a decent pair of hair cutting scissors. Then about an hour ago after sending kids to bed. I put it into rubber bands. First cut was for the layers I wanted. We did oopps a little as I have long bangs now but I like it. Then went into the bathroom alone and trimmed a little more. I washed and blew it out. In a few days I'll recolor it as with the cut and trim I noticed my stinken grey's popping through.

In the morning I'll post before and after photo's.

Shockingly it turned out ok. I wouldn't do it for DD but for myself its fine and its just hair.

Total cost the investment of scissors and a new comb $15. No where in my area could I have had my hair cut or trimmed for $15. I told DH it'll never cost me a dime again to trim my hair.

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. Will never either. Everyone I know that trimmed their own hair has always needed to go get it
Fixed professionally. I would budget for your own haircut.
Momof2Stepof3
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Sadly DH controls all income even my pay checks. I think I am screwed unless I shave my head again. Which I don't want to as I'm in a professional program at school. Not saying shaved heads don't look professional I am just not wanting to go through the months of regrowth.

Quoting poshkat:

Nope. Will never either. Everyone I know that trimmed their own hair has always needed to go get it
Fixed professionally. I would budget for your own haircut.

ae86mommy
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I just take some hair scissors when I get bored, and only clip off the dead ends individually. I think it's called search and destroy haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamisAngels
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I have always trim and cut my own. Not even sure that I can give a technique, I learned from my mom and even through beauty school I picked up a few other tricks but it's easier to show than tell, sorry.
One simple way, If your hair is long enough you can brush it straight back, use a rubber band on the very end of your strands, maybe the bottom inch or half inch and secure evenly between your shoulders so it isn't leaning to the left or right, if you can do it alone, if not have someone else help. Then just snip the hair beneath the rubber band. I'm not sure if I explained that to make sense. :-/
Otherwise I would suggest just going through to find the split ends and cutting the ones you see. It will at least freshen your hair up.

"Beauty is God's handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

SophistoCat
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM

There are some helpful tutorials on youtube.  I looked this up when my stylist was out of reach and I didn't want to start the search again for someone who understands my hair.  If you decide to do it, just don't take too much off.

MamisAngels
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I quickly grabbed my daughter to show you what I meant. But I just finger combed her stands back and her hair is dry here.
It's best done with wet hair brushed straight back all around. Then fasten the rubber band where you want to cut and go from there. After realeasing the band see if someone can look at your ends to let you know if it needs evening out.
I know it necessarily isn't the best way but understanding your situation this may help some, hopefully.
Sometimes I hate giving DIY haircut advice because having gone to school for it and enjoying what I do I'd rather do it and make the person feel great when I'm done. But I've literally had customers at a salon I worked at ask for tips on cutting their hair on their own because they couldn't afford coming in anymore due to the economy, cutbacks, raising the family, etc. It was always sad for me to see them leave cause we developed relationships over time. :-(
I'm rambling now, but just wanted to let you know I understand and hopefully my tip or someone else's can help you out so you're looking and feeling great regardless the circumstances.
Stay beautiful! :-)
(hugs)

Quoting MamisAngels:

I have always trim and cut my own. Not even sure that I can give a technique, I learned from my mom and even through beauty school I picked up a few other tricks but it's easier to show than tell, sorry.

One simple way, If your hair is long enough you can brush it straight back, use a rubber band on the very end of your strands, maybe the bottom inch or half inch and secure evenly between your shoulders so it isn't leaning to the left or right, if you can do it alone, if not have someone else help. Then just snip the hair beneath the rubber band. I'm not sure if I explained that to make sense. :-/

Otherwise I would suggest just going through to find the split ends and cutting the ones you see. It will at least freshen your hair up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iHay
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM
First thing to do is look on youtube. You'll find some helpful videos there. I trim my own because everytime i go to a salon i have to come home and fix it. Mine is just past my shoulders right now.
usually i have my mom or someone (husband when i had one, brother, boyfriend it doesnt matter who) help get the back even and then i just comb up small sections holding the comb vertically and trim about a half inch at a time. It takes awhile but i usually end up with some thing similar to "the rachel". I like a lot of layering though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

When mine was about shoulder length I could do it. I would bend over, gather it all in my hands, stand up and pull it all above my head and cut across. It would end up layering my hair and getting rid of the split ends at the same time.

jenny0709
by Jenny on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I do trim my own hair sometimes.  

Trixi.VonLace
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:19 AM
I trim my own, I do it wet and just clip the very ends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)