Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

cleansing conditioners

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM
  • 4 Replies

We've all seen WEN on TV, some of us have tried it (I HATE it), now L'Oreal has a cleansing conditioner Evercreme.  I have not tried it.  Isn't it really just cowashing?  Have you ever tried cowashing?

http://www.glamourandlove.com/2009/06/what-is-co-washing.html

What Is Co-Washing

You may’ve heard the term “co-washing” before but you may not have known exactly what it is or what it means to “co-wash” your hair. Co-washing is actually short for “conditioner washing” which is the act of using a conditioner to wash your hair instead of shampoo. The method of co-washing is primarily used by African American women to increase moisture in their naturally dry hair.

There are several different ways use the co-washing method. It can be done along with a regular regimen of washing and deep conditioning. It can even be used in place of regular shampooing, with the intention of using a clarifier when needed to cleanse the scalp and hair from product buildup. Some may choose to co-wash their hair once a week midway between shampoos. Or some may co-wash up to 3 times a week if they suffer from very dry hair and scalp.

When co-washing the hair really any type of conditioner will do the trick. Many prefer to use cheaper brands of conditioners like Suave, White Rain, or VO5 because you still get the benefit of quick conditioning without having to break the bank replacing your conditioner! I personally like to take advantage of conditioners I’ve tried and didn’t love. That way I don’t have to feel bad about wasting money on trying out new products. I presently have about 3 different conditioner brands in my shower that I use solely for co-washing because they don’t work as well for deep conditioning.

With co-washing it is necessary to exercise caution so as not to over-moisturize the hair. If you start to notice that your hair is beginning to feel sort of gummy you may need to ease up a bit. If you are concerned, but unsure if you are over-moisturizing try this little test. Take a strand of your hair, hold both ends and pull. If you noticed the strand seemed to stretch for a while then snap, even possibly coiling up on the ends, you may be going a bit overboard on the co-washing and you might want to either ease up a bit or try incorporating a protein conditioner into your co-washing regimen.

All-in-all co-washing, or “conditioner washing” can be a very beneficial addition to a hair care routine for a person who tends to suffer from chronically dry hair. If you are unfamiliar with the concept of co-washing but are interested in finding ways to increase the moisture of your hair, try it out once a week and see how your hair responds. It may turn out to be just the thing you needed for soft, healthy, MOISTURIZED hair.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/co-washing/curlysuzy-tell-me-about-co-washing

I think co-washing on a daily basis is fine and cleansing once or twice a week is a good routine. In regards to co-washing drying your hair out, I think it depends on the conditioner that you are using. I think it is great to co-wash daily if you are using a moisturizing conditioner that is silicone-free. That way you are not causing build-up that then leads to dryness. Here is some silicone info:

Not Water Soluble

Learn more about silicones here.

Amodimethicone, Behenoxy Dimethicone, Cetearyl Methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Stearoxy Dimethicone, Stearyl Dimethicone, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone

Water Soluble

Dimethicone Copolyol, Hydrolized Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, Lauryl methicone Copolyol, PEG -12 Dimethicone, PEG- 8 Dimethicone, PEG-modified Dimethicone

Here is a list of some silicone-free conditioners that are super—

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Zadidoll
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Yes WEN is actually cowashing. There are less expensive products on the market comparable to WEN but the bottom line is WEN and those products (available at Sally's Beauty Supply) are just conditioners.

kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Most times what I do is thoroughly shampoo my scalp, but not really the hair shaft . Then I condition the hair shaft.

I don't shampoo that often anyways - at most twice a week.

Vicariously
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I've thought about switching to co-washing, but my hair doesn't get extremely dry - especially with my regular hair masks. It's my scalp that does and my hair gets weighed down easily. That is why I have been resistant. I don't wash my hair with very much shampoo and I use about double the conditioner, so I think switching might not be a huge change? IDK.. I might make the jump later in the fall when it starts to get dry.

I will try the Aubrey Organics conditioner if I do it. Everything I just bought from that company is amazing.

loriec
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Sometimes i do this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN