Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Tainted Ink

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM
  • 13 Replies

Tattoo's, almost everybody has them. And either you love them or hate them or secretly want them. Then again you may not feel the need to be tatted up.

Signs Of Tattoo Infection An Infection May Be Present If Any Of The

For those who do or are about to get a tattoo there is something you should be concerned with. Recently health officials are seeing more nasty infections related to tattoo's.. The infection is traced to a common bacteria by the ink that is used. There are cases where the tatted have a bubbly red rash like the photo below

In this Jan 2012 photo provided by the Monroe County (N.Y.) Department of Public Health a persons arm is seen after receiving a tattoo covered with a red bubbly rash. As more people get tattoos, health officials are seeing more cases of a nasty skin infection blamed on the ink. In the largest outbreak reported, 19 people in Rochester, N.Y., recently ended up with bubbly rashes over their new tattoos. Cases also occurred in Colorado, Iowa and Washington States this year, health officials say. All together, the four states had 22 lab-confirmed tattoo-related infections and more than 30 suspected additional cases. (AP Photo/Monroe County (N.Y.) Department)

Tattoo Infection Contaminated Ink

Red,irritated,oozing puss from a tattoo is something to be alert about. Some people think they have allergies. but realistically it may be the contaiminated ink. It has been found that the manufacturer of tattoo ink used contaiminated water to  dilute the black ink to mke shades of gray. The FDA doesn't regulate tattoo ink.

Infections from tattoos aren't new,it's common usually with unlicensed artists,dirty needles,unsanitary conditions..e.t.c     Infections such as hepatitis,staph infections,the superbug known as MRSA

.However ,it wasn't the case that tattoo's were infected by these circumstances.

I'm sorry for the gross pictures but it's just me keeping it real. Be aware of the risks and be very cautious if you plan on getting a tattoo because of the recent cases of infections linked to contaminated ink is on the rise.  

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ae86mommy
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM
That's why you only go to a licensed place :) and a good artist :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstrendygirl
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM

i agree :)

Quoting ae86mommy:

amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Absolutely, and read ALL of the reviews for both the artist and shop.

Quoting ae86mommy:

psych_mom
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Ugh... agree with going to a trusted place that is licensed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loriec
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Yes,but this has nothing to do with licensed or whether it's a good artist. This is an infection from contaminated ink,made by manufacturers.

Quoting ae86mommy:

loriec
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Health officials report infection on the rise from contaminated ink,linked to the ink's manufacturers. The shop or artist has  nothing to do with that.

FDA doesn't regulate the ink,so it's at your own risk regardless!

littlemascara
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Quoting ae86mommy:

Ditto.... and LOOK AT THEIR WORK, both right after and healed.  Most artists LOVE to show their work.  I've used the same artist since 2003 or so.  He's like 2 hours away now, but I'd spend just as much time reasearching a new one, so why bother. 

littlemascara
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Quoting loriec:

Health officials report infection on the rise from contaminated ink,linked to the ink's manufacturers. The shop or artist has  nothing to do with that.

FDA doesn't regulate the ink,so it's at your own risk regardless!

what ink brand(s)?  There are literally hundreds.  GOOD artists would be up on this and ditch that ink ASAP.

ShutterBug3
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM

OMG those are awful! I have 10 tattoos and I have always been extraordinarily picky about who did them. I never went to an artist I did not know personally, or knew several people who have been a customer. Of my 10 only 3 people have inked me.

rockinmomto2
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Exactly. Do your research, and you'll be fine. I have a friend who had her boyfriend at the time do tattoos on her arms in their kitchen. *shudders*

Quoting ae86mommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN