Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

need a make up over haul!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM
  • 20 Replies

I cant afford expensive make up.. and I dont wear it everyday... just when I go out mostly...

I love MAC studio fix foundation and concealer... but it is to expensive... 

I have compination skin... but with some fondations I find my forehead gets flakey... (even when appling only a little bit)

I need all new makeup... for a few reasons its all at least 1 yr old... for another im out of a lot of things... (fondation...liquid eyeliner.. eye shadow...)

what do you ladies recomend for compination skin. and someone on a budget?

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama_Dolly
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:50 AM

BUMP!

Vicariously
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:48 AM

I know a lot of ladies on here use Revlon's Colorstay and really like it. I use Revlon's Photoready and it's decent.. I'll be switching. Try looking through a few options on Makeupalley before you buy anything. (That site is a $$ saver for me! lol)

I have combination skin that gets dry very easy. I just did a review for an Aubrey Organics moisturizer that has evened out my skin very well. I would suggest trying to find a good moisturizer to help take care of the dryness. You will have that problem with any foundation if you don't address it.

praisinghim2day
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM

It's not just about the makeup! :)  Wash, tone and moisturize your skin DAILY.  2x a day is best, but at least once a day.  Make sure you use a moisturizer with a spf.  You can find inexpensive products. :)  Get your skin on a good routine, even if you're not wearing makeup that day.  Always wear a moisturizer under your foundation to help prime the face for more even coverage. 

My dd has started wearing a very small amount of makeup and I just buy her the RImmel.  (When she is old enough to do a full face and has good application skills she will get the professional stuff like me.)  Rimmel is inexpensive but you may need to use a setting mist for longer wear.

mspecan_tan
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Mineralfacefx.com has makeup that isn't expensive.

Concealer, bronzer -- goes a long way instead of foundation.

kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Try a BB cream or a tinted moisturizer with SPF - both evens out the skin tone without it feeling or looking heavy, and both have SPF so you only have to wear one product instead of three. LM, one of the ladies here, likes Garnier. I prefer tinted moisturizers. You have both at various price points, and there is bound to be something good at your budget (I've got combination skin, btw.)

That means that all you need to do afterwards is see how you feel about makeup that day. However you feel, you'll already look pulled together because your skin tone is even. This also means that you can take your time to assemble the makeup that you want. For a quick, natural look all you need to do is put on lip gloss. Want to emphasize your eyes? Use eyeliner and mascara. Want to change a bit? Add blusher. Put on eye shadow. Going out in the evening? Intensify the total look or do smokey eyes.

And the person who said to clean and moisturize your face religiously is correct. Also pay attention to the food that you eat - I am not talking about the chocoalte and peanuts, but fruits and vegetables :-)

Mama_Dolly
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

wow thank you ladies! I have alot to check out

Mama_Dolly
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM

and as for brushes I was thinking a stippling brush, a kabuki brush, and a basic eye shadow brush to start?

pixiemg1
by Amy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

For brushes try the ELF Studio line ones.  They are $3 and at Target.  I have the complexion, flat top powder, c eyeshadow and angled contour brush.  I use them everyday.  The $1 ELF eyeshadow brush is good too.  I love that the are inexpensive, soft and do the job.  

Mama_Dolly
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

we wont be getting a target until next yr. but ill keep my eye out for the elf brushes. thanx!

Quoting pixiemg1:

For brushes try the ELF Studio line ones.  They are $3 and at Target.  I have the complexion, flat top powder, c eyeshadow and angled contour brush.  I use them everyday.  The $1 ELF eyeshadow brush is good too.  I love that the are inexpensive, soft and do the job.  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers  Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersImage

Fire911gal
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Elf stuff can be found online also.

Quoting Mama_Dolly:

we wont be getting a target until next yr. but ill keep my eye out for the elf brushes. thanx!

Quoting pixiemg1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)