Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Does it hurt to have your teeth filed down by a dentist?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM
  • 17 Replies

One of my front teeth is a tiny teeny tad bit longer than the other, and I want uniformity in my teeth and thought about having them filed down, does it hurt, and how would I go about having this done?

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vicariously
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I havnt' done it, but I'm going to say no. your teeth don;t have any nerves in them. The gums do and there is a 'root' that goes up into your teeth, which is why they can be sensitive or you can get a tooth ache. It might be uncomfortable, but it's like filling a nail. I'm sure of the tooth needs to be filed anywhere near the root your dentist would give you something to numb the area.

stevens_mom2008
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM
In my experience yes, but I also have really really sensitive teeth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiveLoveLaugh01
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I agree with all of this!

Quoting Vicariously:

I havnt' done it, but I'm going to say no. your teeth don;t have any nerves in them. The gums do and there is a 'root' that goes up into your teeth, which is why they can be sensitive or you can get a tooth ache. It might be uncomfortable, but it's like filling a nail. I'm sure of the tooth needs to be filed anywhere near the root your dentist would give you something to numb the area.

loriec
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I have heard it doesn't hurt,but maybe people who have a higher senstivity would probably  say it does. I am sure the dentist would advise you best about your concerns and  this procedure which is cosmetic dentistry. 

ae86mommy
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Theyll numb you, or they should. It makes a REALLY ugly sound and it smells terrible, but it doesn't hurt during or after.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmomma326
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Does it kind of smell like something is burning? 

Quoting ae86mommy:

Theyll numb you, or they should. It makes a REALLY ugly sound and it smells terrible, but it doesn't hurt during or after.

ae86mommy
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Ugh. Yes. You never forget it lok

Quoting sweetmomma326:

Quoting ae86mommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy2bmom25
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM

i am pretty sure that dentists are not supposed to be doing that anymore. is your dentist pretty old? have you asked your dentist why there is an enamel coating on your teeth, and what could be the ramifications of removing it?

sweetmomma326
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Lol, I guess it smells like having your teeth drilled for a filling. 

Quoting ae86mommy:

Ugh. Yes. You never forget it lok

Quoting sweetmomma326:

Quoting ae86mommy:

mspecan_tan
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM
I didn't even know they still did this procedure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN