Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Oil Cleansing Method

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM
  • 12 Replies

Has anyone tried this and had success?  I've read a lot online, but I wanted some "real" feedback. 

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlpiett
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I wouldn't know, I have never tried. My current prefrence for skin care is working wonders for me. Completely all natural, only using botanical ingredients. So I don't need to =]

Babujai
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't tried it, but I've recently been enlighted to the benefits of oil for my hair and scalp so I'd definitely consider it.

Vicariously
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM

It didn't work out for me... The first week was alright, second week wasn't as good and then weeks 3 - 6 got progressively worse. I only kept at it because I thought I might have had the oil mixture/types of oil wrong for my skin and because I had read that it might take a few weeks for your skin to acclimate. I ended up using a sunscreen that gave me a horrible reaction by the 6th week and completly gave up. WORSE SKIN I HAVE EVER HAD. It took 7 months to clear up the mess and now I have a ton of scarring... Horrible.  

I tried using jojoba Oil and Sweet Almond Oil (separately) as a moisturizer but my skin just doesn't like it... Good thing oils are so great for hair! lol

All of that said, OCM is still worth trying. It does work for a lot of women. I might suggest trying an oil as a moisturizer first just to see how your skin reacts. Use a drop or 2 of jojoba oil.

yourpassion
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:20 AM

thank you for the feedback!  i am hesitant to try it.  i think i might just stick to my proactiv.  i get cystic acne every month.  i get one or two (which i know isn't severe). it's all prompted by my period.  i'm just trying to figure out if there's anything i can do to elminate them. 

Quoting Vicariously:

It didn't work out for me... The first week was alright, second week wasn't as good and then weeks 3 - 6 got progressively worse. I only kept at it because I thought I might have had the oil mixture/types of oil wrong for my skin and because I had read that it might take a few weeks for your skin to acclimate. I ended up using a sunscreen that gave me a horrible reaction by the 6th week and completly gave up. WORSE SKIN I HAVE EVER HAD. It took 7 months to clear up the mess and now I have a ton of scarring... Horrible.  

I tried using jojoba Oil and Sweet Almond Oil (separately) as a moisturizer but my skin just doesn't like it... Good thing oils are so great for hair! lol

All of that said, OCM is still worth trying. It does work for a lot of women. I might suggest trying an oil as a moisturizer first just to see how your skin reacts. Use a drop or 2 of jojoba oil.

Peera
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:52 AM

I used bio-oil for about 6 months (I really need to get back into the habit) and it was AMAZING, I never got so many compliments on my skin, ever! It's really counter-intuitive, because the more oil your face is producing, the more it helps. I have a moderate acne problem, and when I started using it I was having some weird roseacia-like redness on my cheeks. The bio-oil cleansing cleared it up in a couple of weeks and I stopped getting acne for the first time since I was 11. Actually... I'm going to go do it right now. I talked myself back into it, lol.  

Vicariously
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I have the same problem with cystic acne. Only one or 2 spots a month and then a few smaller bumps... I'm hoping that the ACV and lemon water might help? Other than that benzoyl peroxide works very well for my skin too. I wish I knew a miricle cure! lol

Quoting yourpassion:

thank you for the feedback!  i am hesitant to try it.  i think i might just stick to my proactiv.  i get cystic acne every month.  i get one or two (which i know isn't severe). it's all prompted by my period.  i'm just trying to figure out if there's anything i can do to elminate them. 

Quoting Vicariously:

yourpassion
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

:-)  i'm glad you talked yourself back into it, hahaha.  thanks for the info!  i think i haven't been mosturizing my face enough maybe? it always feels so dry.  then when i get a flare up, i dry it out even more.  but since actually moisturizing, it got better.  still a HUGE cyst, but it went down at least.  so i'm going to try and consistantly put moisturizer on after the "lotion" of the 3 step proactiv routine. 

Quoting Peera:

I used bio-oil for about 6 months (I really need to get back into the habit) and it was AMAZING, I never got so many compliments on my skin, ever! It's really counter-intuitive, because the more oil your face is producing, the more it helps. I have a moderate acne problem, and when I started using it I was having some weird roseacia-like redness on my cheeks. The bio-oil cleansing cleared it up in a couple of weeks and I stopped getting acne for the first time since I was 11. Actually... I'm going to go do it right now. I talked myself back into it, lol.  

Peera
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too. :) My skin feels wonderful this morning, and every zit I had yesterday feels smaller & looks less red already. 

Entirely possible, moisturizer usually helps me out when I do it under my makeup, but my face doesn't like having it on overnight for some reason... Either way, moisturizer or oil, it's still more effective than any of the other "cleansers" on the market for me! Anything astringent has me looking 2x as bad the next morning, especially ZapZit, that crap is evil.  

Quoting yourpassion:

:-)  i'm glad you talked yourself back into it, hahaha.  thanks for the info!  i think i haven't been mosturizing my face enough maybe? it always feels so dry.  then when i get a flare up, i dry it out even more.  but since actually moisturizing, it got better.  still a HUGE cyst, but it went down at least.  so i'm going to try and consistantly put moisturizer on after the "lotion" of the 3 step proactiv routine. 

Quoting Peera:

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

ae86mommy
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM
The other night I did. I read a few sites and memorized the directions. So in the shower, I massaged my face with a mix of 1 part castor oil, 4 parts sweet almond oil. I also use sweet almond oil as a daily moisturizer. I usually have oily skin, but my skin is looking AMAZING! The pores on my nose are almost invisible now, and I haven't broken out even once this week :) I'm very happy. The sites I read said to do this like twice weekly at the very most. I'm thinking once a week, maybe once every other week. In between, I've been doing my usual daily routine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourpassion
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM

thanks for the info!  i'm so glad it's working for you!!!

Quoting ae86mommy:

The other night I did. I read a few sites and memorized the directions. So in the shower, I massaged my face with a mix of 1 part castor oil, 4 parts sweet almond oil. I also use sweet almond oil as a daily moisturizer. I usually have oily skin, but my skin is looking AMAZING! The pores on my nose are almost invisible now, and I haven't broken out even once this week :) I'm very happy. The sites I read said to do this like twice weekly at the very most. I'm thinking once a week, maybe once every other week. In between, I've been doing my usual daily routine :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)