Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

For people who specialize in hair!

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:33 AM
  • 6 Replies

Are these good ingredients in a Shampoo and conditioner? I need a good shampoo and conditioner because mine is bad.. I found this online from an "apothecary" website. 

Shampoo

Ingredients: water, decyl glucoside, coco betaine, lauramide dea, lauryl glucoside, disodium edta, methylchlorisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, citric acid, sodium chloride, vitamin a, vitamin d, vitamin e, hemp oil, avocado oil, coconut oil.

Conditioner

Ingredients:  Water, glycerin, emulsifying wax nf, mineral oil, quanternium-7, pvp, glyceryl stearate se, stearalkonium chloride, ethoxydiglycol, propylene glycol, butylenes glycol, extracts of matricaria, nettle, birch sap, arnica, cinchona, and birch leaf, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, imidazolidinyl urea 

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommysince2010
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM

BUMP!

Vicariously
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Huum... It's not horrible, but I have seen better. How much are they asking and what kind of S&C are you looking for (volume, clerifying, Shine, etc..)?

Shampoo is good. 

I would pass on the conditioner. Avoid Mineral Oil in anything. It's a by-product from crude oil production (petrochemical). PVP is also petroleum derived. Stearalkonium chloride is put in conditioners to reduce static and soften. It's a cheap substitute for natural protiens or herbal additives. quanterium-7 is a fomaldehyde releaser. Imidazolinyl urea is in the formaldehyde family.  

mommysince2010
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Awesome thanks. It's $13 for a gallon. It's also unscented. I have naturally curly hair and I want to improve the texture and ends. I would like it to go back to curly again. Do you know of any at home remedies too?? I would like moisture back in my hair w/o it becoming greasy too..

Quoting Vicariously:

Huum... It's not horrible, but I have seen better. How much are they asking and what kind of S&C are you looking for (volume, clerifying, Shine, etc..)?

Shampoo is good. 

I would pass on the conditioner. Avoid Mineral Oil in anything. It's a by-product from crude oil production (petrochemical). PVP is also petroleum derived. Stearalkonium chloride is put in conditioners to reduce static and soften. It's a cheap substitute for natural protiens or herbal additives. quanterium-7 is a fomaldehyde releaser. Imidazolinyl urea is in the formaldehyde family.  

Vicariously
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

That's pretty cheap, but I would suggest looking around on a site like Vitacost to see other options. Giovanni, Aubrey Organics and Avalon Organics make great organic hair products. I use Vitacost for all of my hair stuff. If you want to go that route I can give you a referral code for $10 off your 1st order. Just let me know.  

Here is a list of simple routine changes you can make to improve the quality of your hair. Look through it to see if there's anything you could alter.

The best thing to ever happen to my hair was discovering oil masks. There are so many oils and they all have different benefits. I would suggest Jojoba Oil. It's a very light oil that puts lasting moisture into your hair and scalp and it's easy to wash out. It's the closest oil to your scalps natural sebum (oil), so if you use it regularly it will actually moderate your scalps oil production. Heres a journal post I wrote on Jojoba Oil. I do hair masks at least once a month.

Did your hair become less curly after having kids? Or is it longer than normal right now? JW because I used to have curly hair, but I moved to a less humid part of the country and my hair went to wavy. After I had my son it lost more of the wave. Now my hair is hip length and basically straight.... I kind of miss the curl sometimes.

Now that I think about it, you should definitly try clerifying your hair and you will probably get some curl back right away. I have info on that in the hair care basics post I linked to at the top of my reply.  

Quoting mommysince2010:

Awesome thanks. It's $13 for a gallon. It's also unscented. I have naturally curly hair and I want to improve the texture and ends. I would like it to go back to curly again. Do you know of any at home remedies too?? I would like moisture back in my hair w/o it becoming greasy too..

Quoting Vicariously:

mommysince2010
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Great info! I think after coming to CA my hair has changed. I used to live in Alaska... Thinking it is the possibility of the climate, but I thought AK was more dry? 

Is there a natural way to clarify hair? Like homemade? I know I can buy shampoos that do that, but wondering about the other way :)

Quoting Vicariously:

That's pretty cheap, but I would suggest looking around on a site like Vitacost to see other options. Giovanni, Aubrey Organics and Avalon Organics make great organic hair products. I use Vitacost for all of my hair stuff. If you want to go that route I can give you a referral code for $10 off your 1st order. Just let me know.  

Here is a list of simple routine changes you can make to improve the quality of your hair. Look through it to see if there's anything you could alter.

The best thing to ever happen to my hair was discovering oil masks. There are so many oils and they all have different benefits. I would suggest Jojoba Oil. It's a very light oil that puts lasting moisture into your hair and scalp and it's easy to wash out. It's the closest oil to your scalps natural sebum (oil), so if you use it regularly it will actually moderate your scalps oil production. Heres a journal post I wrote on Jojoba Oil. I do hair masks at least once a month.

Did your hair become less curly after having kids? Or is it longer than normal right now? JW because I used to have curly hair, but I moved to a less humid part of the country and my hair went to wavy. After I had my son it lost more of the wave. Now my hair is hip length and basically straight.... I kind of miss the curl sometimes.

Now that I think about it, you should definitly try clerifying your hair and you will probably get some curl back right away. I have info on that in the hair care basics post I linked to at the top of my reply.  

Quoting mommysince2010:

Quoting Vicariously:

Vicariously
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Apple Cider (or white) Vinegar is actually the best way to clerify your hair. All clerifying shampoos have acetic acid in them, and that is basicallywhat ACV is. It will also give your hair a lot of shine and balanced your scalps PH level too.  

Just do a 1/3 cup ACV in 1qt water and rinse your hair with it in the shower after you shampoo (rinse with cold water). It might smell a little bit, but it will go away when your hair dries.  

If you color your hair it would be better to use a shampoo with less acetic acid in it. ACV is way more effective, but it could remove some color. You should do a rinse once or twice a month depending on how much product you use on your hair.

Quoting mommysince2010:

Great info! I think after coming to CA my hair has changed. I used to live in Alaska... Thinking it is the possibility of the climate, but I thought AK was more dry? 

Is there a natural way to clarify hair? Like homemade? I know I can buy shampoos that do that, but wondering about the other way :)

Quoting Vicariously:

Quoting mommysince2010:

Quoting Vicariously:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)