Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Fashion Alert, Please Help

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hi Ladies, mama's,

I need your expertise. Any Fashion Designer's. Any Ladies with Style. Well, I'm 36 and had always needed help with style. Some sights say I'm a spoon, some say I'm curvy, some say my assets are my legs and buttocks. P.s. I'm ashamed of my buttocks. Here's my measurements: 5'2 1/2", Bust =38B, Waist (widest ) = 38 3/4- 39 it may as well b, hips=45... I know, I need help with fashion/ style and lifestyle (eating/working out). Oh yeah, and I'm w hair stylist with no style, well some say I have a little. What's your thoughts? Any pics, Any advice? Etc.
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeiOKeOla
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Oh and if needed, I'm 171lbs. Fluctuate between 161 and 171. Usually enjoy my yoga, which I'm planning to get back into and I enjoy going walking- dancewalking, since my knee's and ankles doesn't allow me to run. I will b getting back n2 Shake that 808. Thanks Ladies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillian_G1
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I'm built like you, I'm 5'1', hips 38", waist 35", chest 36dd, I'm about 155-160. I working on toning back up. If you have hips and butt don't wear flare or boot cut jeans they make your hips and butt look bigger. Wear skinny jeans or straight cut jeans. Also jeans with bling and stuff like that on the butt pockets will accentuate your butt. I wear shirts that are longer, instead of shirts that barely hit my waist. That way you will look longer in your torso area. 

chloemom531
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Im 5'8..160...i like to shop every where but i dont know ur style or preference..so i dont know...how do u wanns look?
kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Whatever your style (or shape) make sure that you buy the best quality clothes at the price point that you can afford. If you clothes fit right, it's going to complement you and your body shape.

If you have super legs, then hightlight your legs. Don't be ashamed of your buttocks but work with it.

Use accessories to reinforce your style, or to change styles all the while using the same basic clothes.

So what's your personal style/look/preference? What's your lifestyle like? Do you work outside the home? What kind of clothes do you need for work? What do you do in your leisure time? Are you sporty or not? It all depends on so many things - and body shape is just one of the elements not the everything.

Holztastic
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I got nothin'. I can't even figure out my own style.

LeiOKeOla
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:28 AM
Hair Stylist. Plain Jane. Wear too many plain t's. Love hiking, ocean, dancing, . Conservative. Love to color, highlight my hair and or a rich warm brown. One sight says little to no pockets helps to not make hips/ buttocks even more pronounced / bigger. Wear pants that flies straight down. Don't wearpants that r too high waisted. Dress code @ work is black and or white. Covered toe. Wearing open toe @ work isn't professional , its like showing your cleavage, one tv host elaborate's
LeiOKeOla
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM
I admit , I was a pretty provocative dresser until about 23.. I too love the flower n my hair. What r your favorite stores and or online websites to shop ?wish I could have u here with.

Quoting chloemom531:

Im 5'8..160...i like to shop every where but i dont know ur style or preference..so i dont know...how do u wanns look?

LeiOKeOla
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM
I'm a hairstylist w no sense of style. Eventually I wanna become a massage therapist-prenatal massage. I love going to the malls even though I get frustrated in the fitting room, love the beach, some traveling, hiking, dancing but don't go out to clubs like before, beach, camping, movies, dinner dates w so., would love to learn natural alternative. Medicine . Love going to church and praise and worship. I can b shy and loud. Love spending time w family.

Quoting kika.fleur:

Whatever your style (or shape) make sure that you buy the best quality clothes at the price point that you can afford. If you clothes fit right, it's going to complement you and your body shape.

If you have super legs, then hightlight your legs. Don't be ashamed of your buttocks but work with it.

Use accessories to reinforce your style, or to change styles all the while using the same basic clothes.

So what's your personal style/look/preference? What's your lifestyle like? Do you work outside the home? What kind of clothes do you need for work? What do you do in your leisure time? Are you sporty or not? It all depends on so many things - and body shape is just one of the elements not the everything.

kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you do have a style, but that you need to jazz it up a bit. I think also that you just need to retrain your eyes and your mind to see beyond what you normally see and what you currently feel comfortable with. It's one of the reasons why friends of mine take me along shopping: I think differently from them, so I always propose clothes that they normally wouldn't consider for themselves and which the brain automatically discounts and thus they don't really "see" the item in the first place. It's also why I love it when my friend wants me to model clothes for him when he's on a shopping spree for his store - I get to put on clothes I usually don't even look at and I've been surprised a few times.

One of the problems you might be having is that it looks like you are in between sizes so it might be difficult to find something that fits well especially pants and jeans. It's not your fault - it just that the manufacturer had chosen a model (whose measurements they take for their clothes pattern) who has a different body shape than yours. It's a frustration that millions of women across the world share with you. Have you ever tried online shopping to expand the range of shops available to you?

The frustrating part of shopping is indeed the fitting room, but you do have to try and try, and try from different stores, too. So try different types of pants - classic, straight leg, boot cut, slight flare, cigarette, skinny, cargo - from different stores. Why different stores - because it might be called boot cut but store A will have proportions that is slightly different that store B and you might look 100% better in the store B version.Go online, too and see if there's anything that looks promising. I put in cargo pants in there, because some of the cargo pants that I've seen (and worn) can be a nice, sporty-casual outfit than one can take to work depending on what one does for a living.

Neutral colours to pick - black, navy blue, greys, dark brown, camel, white, khakhi. If your work attire is balck and white, then aim to have two or three pants and jeans in black, and when you find it, something in white.

When I say aim, think within 8 months. Building up a wardrobe is never short term, but always on going. You've already something now, but act like a curator: throw away the stuff that doesn't complement or fit you, or that is too worn, add new items.

Tops: in addition to your basic Ts, think of adding shirts and blouses as well as knits. What you want to do it draw the eyes to your upper body and eventually to your face. Long-sleeves dress shirts with darts to give it some shape in black and in white are pretty much classical. Look for shirts with ruffles, blouses with a V-neck, tops with an empire waist. Look out for tunic. When buying Ts and blouses, think also fabric - what about something in crepe or silk? Or something with lace? Try to also look for wrap blouses. And finally, don't forget prints. There are prints in black and white for work, and all sorts of prints for play!

Skirts and dresses: if you've got the legs, show 'em! Try A-line skirts in soft or heavy fabric that skim your hips then fall nicely. Try dresses with V-necks and wrap dresses. Quite honestly, right now at my current weight and body shape, I am liking dresses a lot more than skirts, but I have a couple wrap skirts that I love a lot. Wear them with knee-high boots in the winter - it's comfortable but great look.

Shoes: shoes also count for a lot. You are on your feet all day, so you need comfortable shoes, but shoes will affect the whole look.

Accessories: for me, it's the accessories that will tie everything together to make an outfit and that will also put a stamp of your own style. Accessories can add a touch of colour to your work outfits. Necklaces, chokers and earrings help draw the eyes to your face and upper body, thus deflecting them from the hips and buttocks. A ring or two will also draw the eyes to your hands and to what you are doing when you are working on your clients' hair. You can use a scarf to put some colour in the neck area, on tie it to your hair?

Quoting LeiOKeOla:

I'm a hairstylist w no sense of style. Eventually I wanna become a massage therapist-prenatal massage. I love going to the malls even though I get frustrated in the fitting room, love the beach, some traveling, hiking, dancing but don't go out to clubs like before, beach, camping, movies, dinner dates w so., would love to learn natural alternative. Medicine . Love going to church and praise and worship. I can b shy and loud. Love spending time w family.

Quoting kika.fleur:

LeiOKeOla
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM
THANK YOU , THANK YOU , THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH.

Quoting kika.fleur:

I think you do have a style, but that you need to jazz it up a bit. I think also that you just need to retrain your eyes and your mind to see beyond what you normally see and what you currently feel comfortable with. It's one of the reasons why friends of mine take me along shopping: I think differently from them, so I always propose clothes that they normally wouldn't consider for themselves and which the brain automatically discounts and thus they don't really "see" the item in the first place. It's also why I love it when my friend wants me to model clothes for him when he's on a shopping spree for his store - I get to put on clothes I usually don't even look at and I've been surprised a few times.

One of the problems you might be having is that it looks like you are in between sizes so it might be difficult to find something that fits well especially pants and jeans. It's not your fault - it just that the manufacturer had chosen a model (whose measurements they take for their clothes pattern) who has a different body shape than yours. It's a frustration that millions of women across the world share with you. Have you ever tried online shopping to expand the range of shops available to you?

The frustrating part of shopping is indeed the fitting room, but you do have to try and try, and try from different stores, too. So try different types of pants - classic, straight leg, boot cut, slight flare, cigarette, skinny, cargo - from different stores. Why different stores - because it might be called boot cut but store A will have proportions that is slightly different that store B and you might look 100% better in the store B version.Go online, too and see if there's anything that looks promising. I put in cargo pants in there, because some of the cargo pants that I've seen (and worn) can be a nice, sporty-casual outfit than one can take to work depending on what one does for a living.

Neutral colours to pick - black, navy blue, greys, dark brown, camel, white, khakhi. If your work attire is balck and white, then aim to have two or three pants and jeans in black, and when you find it, something in white.

When I say aim, think within 8 months. Building up a wardrobe is never short term, but always on going. You've already something now, but act like a curator: throw away the stuff that doesn't complement or fit you, or that is too worn, add new items.

Tops: in addition to your basic Ts, think of adding shirts and blouses as well as knits. What you want to do it draw the eyes to your upper body and eventually to your face. Long-sleeves dress shirts with darts to give it some shape in black and in white are pretty much classical. Look for shirts with ruffles, blouses with a V-neck, tops with an empire waist. Look out for tunic. When buying Ts and blouses, think also fabric - what about something in crepe or silk? Or something with lace? Try to also look for wrap blouses. And finally, don't forget prints. There are prints in black and white for work, and all sorts of prints for play!

Skirts and dresses: if you've got the legs, show 'em! Try A-line skirts in soft or heavy fabric that skim your hips then fall nicely. Try dresses with V-necks and wrap dresses. Quite honestly, right now at my current weight and body shape, I am liking dresses a lot more than skirts, but I have a couple wrap skirts that I love a lot. Wear them with knee-high boots in the winter - it's comfortable but great look.

Shoes: shoes also count for a lot. You are on your feet all day, so you need comfortable shoes, but shoes will affect the whole look.

Accessories: for me, it's the accessories that will tie everything together to make an outfit and that will also put a stamp of your own style. Accessories can add a touch of colour to your work outfits. Necklaces, chokers and earrings help draw the eyes to your face and upper body, thus deflecting them from the hips and buttocks. A ring or two will also draw the eyes to your hands and to what you are doing when you are working on your clients' hair. You can use a scarf to put some colour in the neck area, on tie it to your hair?

Quoting LeiOKeOla:

Quoting kika.fleur:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN