Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Henna Hair Dye

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM
  • 19 Replies

Has anyone tried it? Im  pregnant and havent dyed my hair, and it is starting to look aweful! After researching, henna dye is supposed to be completely natural. Has anyone tried it? Know how it works?

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoriAnn87
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM

nope sorry i have never tried it before. i have always used gariner nurtisse to dye my hair even while i was pregnant.

kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:58 AM

I've never used it either. It just take too much time, and I don't like the colours of traditional henna. Once you henna, you can only cover it over with other henna and not with a chemical dye.

PrincessZelda89
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM
My sister in law uses it.
It takes a bit of time, she uses the red one. She mixes it with chamomile tea and lemon juice. It has this weird smell and looks like mud. Lol.
Her hair looks really healthy though! She says it makes her hair nice and soft.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I also haven't tried it, but it's really popular among AA with natural hair because it healthier than chemical color.  I've heard it can loosen your curl pattern though.

JavaMom2one
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:16 AM

I have some friends who use henna to dye their hair.  I think the thing I'm not keen on is it tends to be one color only, like a dark red.  Or at least that's all I've ever seen.

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I've used it. You can get mostly dark colours...basically red or black. I have never seen blonde henna ...I'm not sure it even exists. You have to put in in your hair a long long time for it to work, and you should only use it if you don't have dye in your hair already.

Vinterland
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Definitely check this website out before doing anything. http://www.hennaforhair.com/ Also, there is no such thing as black henna. Be weary of anything advertised as "black henna" because there may be a chemical in it that can cause severe allergic reactions. I remember when they were telling people not to get black henna tattoos on the news because it affected so many people but that's because of PPD (para-phenylenediamine). There's another plant like it called indigo if you wanted to dye your hair black but that site has all there is to know about dying your hair naturally and achieving the color you want.

Vicariously
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I have not, but I know a few people that have. They all love it. Very good natural alternative and there is no damage involved. It's actually good for your hair (strengthens). Post some pic's if you try it! =)

Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Ok so henna hair color is not as good as it sounds.. It may say all natural but it has metallic salts in it, which with repeated use can turn your hair green or if you color your hair with henna then use something else in the future any part of your hair that has henna on it could start smoking and break off, or just turn an awful shade of green and you can't get henna out of your hair, it has to grow out. Just because it says "all natural" or "organic" does not mean it's good or healthy for you. Gasoline is organic, but would you drink it? No. You can color your hair while you are pregnant, why are you looking to henna?

littleinsect
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM
If you have dyed your hair it might have a weird reaction. Plus your hair does weird things while preggo. Just don't be surprised if it turns out funky lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)