Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Has anyone tried it? Im  pregnant and havent dyed my hair, and it is starting to look aweful! After researching, henna dye is supposed to be completely natural. Has anyone tried it? Know how it works?

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Replies (11-19):
JenW777
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I've used it.  Itworks great, but only if you want to go red.

When dealing with henna, get 100% BAQ henna, others may contain metallic salts which will react with other hair dyes.  Henna is permenant, you don't date it, you marry it.  If the henna says that it's other colors (besides red) it is not pure henna and should not be used as it can react badly with previous dyes used.

SandraJo
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Henna used to have salts, which is why it got such a bad rap. Now, there are many sources you can buy pure henna from. No added salts. But it must be 100% henna. Henna DYE usually means added ingredients, such as metallic salts.

I use Jamila henna in my hair. Be careful. Henna comes in one colour, red. Are you blonde or brunette? Oh, and its permanent. As in, you'll have to grow it out, you can't just bleach it, or wait for it to fade. You can get henna blended with indigo to make a brown color, or even black. But henna itself is red. And how it will look in your hair depends entirely on your hair. There are different brands you can get that have different strengths of the dye molecule due to the region they're in. I use a cheap jamila though, and try to do a treatment monthly until I get the color I want. I've been slacking though :/

Quoting Spoiled_Blonde:

Ok so henna hair color is not as good as it sounds.. It may say all natural but it has metallic salts in it, which with repeated use can turn your hair green or if you color your hair with henna then use something else in the future any part of your hair that has henna on it could start smoking and break off, or just turn an awful shade of green and you can't get henna out of your hair, it has to grow out. Just because it says "all natural" or "organic" does not mean it's good or healthy for you. Gasoline is organic, but would you drink it? No. You can color your hair while you are pregnant, why are you looking to henna?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I would wait. Your pregnancy can make the dye do some wonky things! Lol!
Bump;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Most people don't know that and they use the one with metallic salts in it. I can't count the number of people who have wanted corrective color done on their hair with Henna in it, and I can't do it because the strand test turns out awful! =(

Quoting SandraJo:

Henna used to have salts, which is why it got such a bad rap. Now, there are many sources you can buy pure henna from. No added salts. But it must be 100% henna. Henna DYE usually means added ingredients, such as metallic salts.

I use Jamila henna in my hair. Be careful. Henna comes in one colour, red. Are you blonde or brunette? Oh, and its permanent. As in, you'll have to grow it out, you can't just bleach it, or wait for it to fade. You can get henna blended with indigo to make a brown color, or even black. But henna itself is red. And how it will look in your hair depends entirely on your hair. There are different brands you can get that have different strengths of the dye molecule due to the region they're in. I use a cheap jamila though, and try to do a treatment monthly until I get the color I want. I've been slacking though :/

Quoting Spoiled_Blonde:

Ok so henna hair color is not as good as it sounds.. It may say all natural but it has metallic salts in it, which with repeated use can turn your hair green or if you color your hair with henna then use something else in the future any part of your hair that has henna on it could start smoking and break off, or just turn an awful shade of green and you can't get henna out of your hair, it has to grow out. Just because it says "all natural" or "organic" does not mean it's good or healthy for you. Gasoline is organic, but would you drink it? No. You can color your hair while you are pregnant, why are you looking to henna?

Momyplease
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I used it last week its easy and my hsir came out pretty red and thicker
Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I used a natural dye when I was pregnant with my middle son and it WRECKED my hair.  I will never ever use a natural dye again.

louannwilkins
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I'm sorry....I've never used it. 

MamaFrankie
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I let my hair alone my whole pregnancy and I'm happy I did. It's wayy healthier. It almost looks like a light to dark ombre now and I love it.

Your hormones may not let your hair take the coloring so well. I say just leave your hair be
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Derari
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I've used henna when I was pregnant. The colour was a deep auburn kind of colour. It only exists in one colour, it just changes depending on the person's hair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN