Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

At home hair coloring

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM
  • 14 Replies
im no stranger to coloring my own hair, but my hair wont take lighter shades. Im dying color my hair blonde and ive heard its hard to do when you have brown hair. Any body have any good ideas on how to go from brown to blonde?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ae86mommy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
That a really hard thing to do at home. I've tried many times with no success. I'd just go somewhere and get it done. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMom20
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM

i have really dark brown  hair and tried to go light brown w/ at home hair dye, it was a disaster. I had to go to the salon so they could strip the color out and dye it back to normal.  i still box dye my hair (only because i go darker) but if i ever wanted to go lighter id make sure i went to a professional.

suesues
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM

need a professonal you need to strip or bleach it first

meldanielle
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

To be honest, everyone is different. I am naturally brown haired but I was very light blonde as a child. I recently went back to my natural roots so I will show you what I am talking about.

I have dyed this color bright blonde many times at home and it was super easy for me. Sometimes I only used one box and bam. It wouldn't fry my hair or do much damage. I used Loreal products and I easily went from that to this:

My roots are showing in this only because this picture was taken when I needed to re dye it lol but you get the point.

There is a better example. And I have even done this with boxed dye:

But anyways, this doesn't go so well for everybody. Some people have to bleach it and some people have to go to the Salon. I can just dye mine any color I want and it seems to work somehow. I don't do anything special like others have to. My advice would be if you can't just pick up a box and dye it and it work, go to the salon. Don't risk frying your hair! Good luck! :)

hot_momma633
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Ive tried once and it turned my hair strawberry blonde and faded fast. Ive got it prfessionally done and didnt have to strip my hair at all.
ittyprincess604
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

i tried years ago, my hair turned orange-ish....i cried lol thn went to a salon and had it fixed. I would suggest bleaching it out first if you really want to try this at home.

aniters
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:22 PM
my friend went from brown hair to platinum blonde. all she used was bleach and toner.
Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Go to a professional... how do you think people end up with ugly brassy orange hair?!

Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Um... You can't "dye" brown hair blonde... Color doesn't lift color.. Hate to break it to you but there is some form of bleach in the blonde color.... So no matter what if you want to be lighter than your natural level, it's going to involve bleach..

Quoting meldanielle:

To be honest, everyone is different. I am naturally brown haired but I was very light blonde as a child. I recently went back to my natural roots so I will show you what I am talking about.

I have dyed this color bright blonde many times at home and it was super easy for me. Sometimes I only used one box and bam. It wouldn't fry my hair or do much damage. I used Loreal products and I easily went from that to this:

My roots are showing in this only because this picture was taken when I needed to re dye it lol but you get the point.

There is a better example. And I have even done this with boxed dye:

But anyways, this doesn't go so well for everybody. Some people have to bleach it and some people have to go to the Salon. I can just dye mine any color I want and it seems to work somehow. I don't do anything special like others have to. My advice would be if you can't just pick up a box and dye it and it work, go to the salon. Don't risk frying your hair! Good luck! :)

Pixia
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:46 AM

everyone makes me lol on this topic, because I can understand everyone's POV (point of view)!  of course, the darker your natural hair color is, then the harder it will usually be to lighten to blonde sufficiently w/o being brassy (having the unwanted yellow, gold, orange, &/or reddish tones).  some hair is frankly a lot more stubborn to lightening/ going blonde than others, too.  darker hair naturally has more prodominently underlying red/ orange color, that will make it trickier to lighten towards a nice, blonde result.  (all hair colors naturally have some underlying pigment of red, orange, gold, and/or yellow tones, depending esp on the darkness and the tone).  of course, everyone's hair is also different, and can have different experiences!  if you don't get your hair color lightened to your desired result w a box of color, that probably means that it does not have enough lift/ lightening ability, and/or toning to suite your hair color.  that's prolly obvious!  the worst part, to me, is that once a box color is done on the hair, then it may be harder to lighen the artificially colored hair vs the natural hair color (being completely undyed or processed).  in other words, once you "dye" your hair, it might be easier to darken the color than it is it lighten the color further.  some people are lucky, and can lighten the previously color treated hair into a lil lighter color result.  some cannot, though.  a professional salon is generally best in these aspects!  furthur lightening can often require a lightener/ bleach (dryness and/ore damage), but keep in mind that thtat heat from your scalp will also make your roots lighten quicker than the length and ends of your hair.  yeah, it gets complicated w the what ifs, ands/ or buts!  it may or may nott result nicely, even if u don't mind really learning how stuff may or may not work, experimenting & working w the best educated opinions/ guesses possible.  it's not often easy.  consult a pro opinion or several when u have any doubts or questions!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN