Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Eyeshadow questions

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM
  • 12 Replies

I've been watching some eyeshadow tutorials on YouTube.  I don't usually wear eyeshadow, but when I do I use one...maybe two colors.  These YouTubers have huge palettes and use anywhere from 3-8 colors all on the same eye.

How many colors do you usually use when you put on eyeshadow?

Do you use a primer? Can I get the same benefits using concealer?

Do you put shadow right under your lower lash line?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bloodytears1986
by Kelli on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

bump. I need answers too!

louannwilkins
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I use a primer all the time.  I normally only use 1 color.  I wear grey a lot.  I don't put eye shadow under my lower lash but I do use a pencil that's a hyacinth color there.  I think eye shadow can just brighten up your eyes.  Some people wear really bright colors and lots of it....that's just not me.  It does look good on some people but I wouldn't do it.

ae86mommy
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM
I wear a primer everyday. I put a matte medium brown in the crease. Then I usually do a lid color. Then another color over the crease. Then a light color under the brow and on the inner eye. Then a really dark color in the outer v. I like the way it looks that way :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I usually use 3 colours + eyeliner, sometimes a forth for dimension. NO way I hve the time,or experience to work with 8! I basically always have a smokey eye, but with different colours. If I am feeling like being very natural I will use 1 nude colour all over my lid and eyeliner. I don't usually shadow under my eye, but sometimes I will around the outer bottom edge of my eyes if I am doing something dramatic. Right now I just use a regular primer all over my face and I apply power to my eyelids before applying shadow, but I am looking into an eye primer.....just need to pick a good brand!  YouTube tutorials are kind of iffy I find, there is just some styles of application that don't work for everyone. IMO it's better to find some kind of illustrative guide that shows where to apply shadows and figure out how to apply on your own with a bit of experimentation. They have ones on certain eye kits, and you can look in magazines too. But I'm amateur so yeah..... that's just how I do it.

pixiemg1
by Amy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I  use 3-4 colors at a time.  I use a primer everytime since I have oily lids and it helps with keeping the shadow from creasing and makes the colors pop.   I use Urban Decay Primer Potion which runs about $18 but lasts a long time.  I have had mine for about a year & half and probably have another 2-3 months left. I don't put shadow under my lower lash line since I don't like how that looks on me personally.  I normally just put a nude liner in my waterline.  I am sure a concelaer would work as a primer but there are lots of primers on the market in all different price ranges.  Also, some people will use cream shadows as bases like NYX Jumbo pencils in Milk is a popular one. I can't use them since again I have super oily lids and if I don't use UDPP they crease horrible on me. 

Zadidoll
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Quoting Babujai:

I've been watching some eyeshadow tutorials on YouTube.  I don't usually wear eyeshadow, but when I do I use one...maybe two colors.  These YouTubers have huge palettes and use anywhere from 3-8 colors all on the same eye.

How many colors do you usually use when you put on eyeshadow?

Do you use a primer? Can I get the same benefits using concealer?

Do you put shadow right under your lower lash line?

You can use as many colors as you want however the more you are, and if you're not experienced with blending or layering, the more work it is to get it look really good. It's like painting a portrait and it takes practice, practice, practice.

I wear anywhere from three colors - a highlight, contour and something for the lid - up to five. I try go past five colors because it's too much work.

In the "old days" people used foundation then applied their shadow. A primer is used for a variety of reasons including having a working base for the color to adhere to to changing the color. If you use a lighter base rather than a darker one it can totally change the look of the color(s) you're using. A concealer will work but it may not prevent creasing.

I do put shadow under my lower lash line but it depends on the look I'm going for. It's relatively a newer thing to do (within the last few years). It all depends on the look you're going for and honestly it's not necessary.

mattiehatter
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I always used primer because it keeps the shadow from creasing and fading. I usually do 2 to 4 colors depending on my end goal. I have used shadow on the lower lash line to achieve a goal. I don't use concealer at all and espcially not as a primer.

grnrose
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I use a colored cream eyeshadow primer and 2-3 eyeshadows for everyday look. I might use 3-5 when I'm going out.. I put shadow underneath if I'm doing a smokey eye.

www.marykay.com/rmiera

http://www.facebook.com/decoratedbeauty

sugar_pie299
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I use at least 4 colors when i'm using eyeshadow and yes i use the nyx primer I haven't put shadow under my lash line but i'm not aposed to it.... and i don't think concealer would work the same as a primer does.

kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:10 AM

You can use as many you want. Once in a while, I use 2 to 3 colours. I rarely use more than 3 - if that's the case my make-up was done by a make-up artist.

Usually though, I use one colour. Here's an article and video on using a single colour:
www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/2012/nov/02/sali-hughes-beauty-single-eyeshadows

Whether I use a primer or not depends on when my meeting is. If it's in the morning, then I don't use it. if it's after lunch, then I use it. If I have an appointment in the evening - meeting, drinks, dinner - then I use a primer. Ditto when we have an event at work and I have to be in front of a crowd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)