Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

My poor scalp..*dryness question*

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 16 Replies

My hair and scalp is so dry, it isn't dandruff, but it's the dry white flaky stuff.  It itches so bad, and Ionly wash my hair twice a week.  What can I do to get it back to good without spending over 20 dollars???

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ae86mommy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM
A bottle of organic apple cider vinegar. The natural kind you'd get from a health food store with the film on top. Just put like a cup of vinegar and a cup of water in a cup, pour it over your scalp, let it sit a minute or so, then rinse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ae86mommy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Also, coconut oil warmed up and massaged into your scalp before shampooing may help. Just massage it in and let it sit an hour or two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vicariously
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Get Jojoba Oil ASAP. Here is a link to a journal post I make with more info on Jojoba Oil and why it works. It's the best thing to ever happen to my scalp/hair. My scalp is dry naturally, and I live in Maine. Once fall rolls around I get patches of itchy flaky spots (psoriasis like) and oil hair masks completely fix the issue. I do a hair mask once a month or every other week depending on how much my scalp needs it. For my mix I use Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil and Tea Tree Oil. I have coconut oil too, but my hair is sensitive to protein (coconut oil helps your hair to retain protein for a long time. Too much and it will feel like straw). Jojoba Oil is by far my favorite and the most effecting for long term moisture in the scalp and hair. If you can find some Castor Oil to mix it it will help the oil to penetrate deeper layers of skin and make the mask more effective.

suesues
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM

moisture shampoo and condition how do you now its not dandruff  try mayo on whole head then wash out

nngmommy83
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM

moisturizing products?

psych_mom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I will have to try this. Due to my thyroid condition I have the same issue and I need to do something bad. I could use dandruff shampoos all day long and it wouldn't do a thing.

Quoting Vicariously:

Get Jojoba Oil ASAP. Here is a link to a journal post I make with more info on Jojoba Oil and why it works. It's the best thing to ever happen to my scalp/hair. My scalp is dry naturally, and I live in Maine. Once fall rolls around I get patches of itchy flaky spots (psoriasis like) and oil hair masks completely fix the issue. I do a hair mask once a month or every other week depending on how much my scalp needs it. For my mix I use Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil and Tea Tree Oil. I have coconut oil too, but my hair is sensitive to protein (coconut oil helps your hair to retain protein for a long time. Too much and it will feel like straw). Jojoba Oil is by far my favorite and the most effecting for long term moisture in the scalp and hair. If you can find some Castor Oil to mix it it will help the oil to penetrate deeper layers of skin and make the mask more effective.

louannwilkins
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Sounds like you've gotten some good advice.  I may have to try them myself!  lol  What I've done in the past is put conditioner on my hair and put a shower cap on and then wrap a towel around it.  Turn the hair dryer on and really heat up my head for about 5 minutes or so....however long you feel like holding it....lol   Then just leave it in there for an hour or two if you have the time....then just rinse it out.  It seemed to help.  Good luck!

kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Is there any redness to the scalp? I'd go to the dermatologist or even the primary care doctor to have it looked at. My SIL has psoriasis, but only on one part of her scalp. It itches a lot. I have dermatitis on the face, but when I am super tired or stressed it'll also affect my scalp. And when I am even more stressed, it goes all flaky.

What did work for me was deep cleaning the scalp with a fruit acid - basically AHA. She applied the lotion throughout my scalp, waited for a bit, then washed my hair with a gentle shampoo. That helped a lot.

sweetmomma326
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM

It is only on the front side of my head, and the left side.  and There is some redness.

Quoting kika.fleur:

Is there any redness to the scalp? I'd go to the dermatologist or even the primary care doctor to have it looked at. My SIL has psoriasis, but only on one part of her scalp. It itches a lot. I have dermatitis on the face, but when I am super tired or stressed it'll also affect my scalp. And when I am even more stressed, it goes all flaky.

What did work for me was deep cleaning the scalp with a fruit acid - basically AHA. She applied the lotion throughout my scalp, waited for a bit, then washed my hair with a gentle shampoo. That helped a lot.

abra
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Neutrogena T/Gel!! You can get it at the grocery store for around $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Therapeutic-Shampoo-Original-Formula/dp/B0009KN8UA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1359752016&sr=8-5&keywords=neutrogena+shampoo

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN