Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Dyed my hair. Need some pointers for next time.

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
  • 20 Replies

Ok I'll start with pics, I used Revlon Dark Ash Blonde.
Before

After

What did I do wrong? lol. What color should I choose next time? This is what I'm trying to get.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KarensFaith
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

It looks reddish. L'Oreal has a kit that is sold at Walmart...about $10. Called Brass something or other....lol...try it. BUT you might have to bleach it to get it that light blonde color like Taylor Swift's hair, which I LOVE, by the way, you can go to Sally's Beauty Supply, they will help you better than I can. I tried to go blonde too but I could not get all the red out of my hair and bleaching it was too damaging to my already damaged hair...I will warn you, the brass stuff is drying...use LOTS of moisturizer. What color is your hair naturally. If it's red or has red, you're probably going to have to bleach it. I have red hair. That's what got me. I ended up dying it back to the color it was...lol...it was a mess. Good luck! 

mommy-munster
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:30 PM
You need light ash blonde and if it turns out brassy out yellow grab some toner and put it in for ten minutes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iHay
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I honestly have no idea what my hair is naturally. It gets really red in the sun but I think its just brown. I dunno. Lol. It does go red easily obviously.
I should have added, I'm allergic to ammonia so can't use anything with it, thats why I use revlon.

Quoting KarensFaith:

It looks reddish. L'Oreal has a kit that is sold at Walmart...about $10. Called Brass something or other....lol...try it. BUT you might have to bleach it to get it that light blonde color like Taylor Swift's hair, which I LOVE, by the way, you can go to Sally's Beauty Supply, they will help you better than I can. I tried to go blonde too but I could not get all the red out of my hair and bleaching it was too damaging to my already damaged hair...I will warn you, the brass stuff is drying...use LOTS of moisturizer. What color is your hair naturally. If it's red or has red, you're probably going to have to bleach it. I have red hair. That's what got me. I ended up dying it back to the color it was...lol...it was a mess. Good luck! 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iHay
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks I'll try that.

Quoting mommy-munster:

You need light ash blonde and if it turns out brassy out yellow grab some toner and put it in for ten minutes
Mrs.wilcox01
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM
You need to go to the salon to get it to look like that
iHay
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I can't go to a salon, they're beyond crazy expensive and I simply can't afford them. I called the college of cosmetology but can't go there because they only use colors with ammonia and I can't have ammonia because it makes me sick. Very sick. Thanks though :)

Quoting Mrs.wilcox01:

You need to go to the salon to get it to look like that

KarensFaith
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Try the toner or the brass stuff. It might take most of the red out. The toner is probably better to try. 

Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Color won't lift color.. To get your hair the lighter color you pictured you are going to have to bleach it.. Then go over it and tone it to the color you want.
Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Also you should ask what brand of color the school is using. I use Matrix, and the color sync demi permanent doesn't have ammonia. They also just came out with a new permanent line that is ammonia free.
KarensFaith
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

It sounds like it's Auburn. Brown with red is auburn. :)  I think you're gonna have to bleach it. I am not sure about the amonia. If your hair is in great condition, can you go to Sally's? Is there one near you? I checked into when I wanted to go blonde and it wasn't really expensive there. They can help you get what you need and make sure it doesn't have amonia. My hair was not in great condition so I was afraid to bleach it. I just dyed it back to red. Red is HARD to get out of hair unless you bleach it. That's about all I can tell you. I hope it helps. 

Quoting iHay:

I honestly have no idea what my hair is naturally. It gets really red in the sun but I think its just brown. I dunno. Lol. It does go red easily obviously.
I should have added, I'm allergic to ammonia so can't use anything with it, thats why I use revlon.

Quoting KarensFaith:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN