Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Makeup Swaps!

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

I've heard and read about them online. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would you do it? 

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suesues
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:37 AM

No do you mean new stuff or used no way used

momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Never heard of it before

partyof54me
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM

New stuff of course(:

Quoting suesues:

No do you mean new stuff or used no way used

Zadidoll
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

The members on my forum participate in swaps frequently. In fact we were the subject of a Yahoo Finance article recently.

If you do a swap with a person there are certain steps you want to do to protect yourself and the person you're swapping with.

1. Don't trade expensive items. You need to either establish a "history" with them OR (as in the case of my forums) trade with someone with an established positive trading history.
  2. Take pictures. LOTS of pictures of what you're sending, how it's wrapped and anything should the other person try to scam you and claim you sent them the wrong things or it was counterfeit. (I've seen that happen.)
  3. Don't swap things that you'll lose money on in the event it gets lost or broken while in transit. For example, say you swap with someone an Urban Decay NAKED 2 palette - retails for $50 new - let's say it shatters on the way to the person you're swapping with. Both parties are going to have to chalk it up to a loss and depending on the arrangements you made with the person either you as the previous owner of it may have to return the items from the other person OR the person who received it will have to chalk it up to a loss.
  4. Bubble wrap, bubble wrap, bubble wrap. EVERYTHING should be bubble wrapped. What those who trade nail polishes do is place each bottle in a snack bag or larger size plastic bag then bubble wrap each item to prevent spillage and breakage. If you're sending some type of liquid TAPE the top to prevent it from spilling then place it in a baggie to prevent it from damaging other items if you're sending more than just that.
  5. ALWAYS use tracking and have the other person use tracking. There is NO excuse not to, not even cost, because you can use Paypal to ship First Class and Paypal provides tracking #s even on first class. I typically pay as little as $1.52 for shipping with tracking via Paypal.
  6. If the items are of higher value GET INSURANCE on your package. Remember that UD palette I mentioned above? If you put insurance on the package should the package become lost in transit OR arrive damaged you can file a claim.  Remember those pictures I told you about before? This is why you need to take pictures because if it's lost, stolen or damaged the USPS will want proof. Insurance is something like $1.20 and up.
partyof54me
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Thank you for all that great information:) I've got some banana powder that I'd like to swap for something else. I'll do some more research on the whole thing first. You've been very helpful.

Quoting Zadidoll:

The members on my forum participate in swaps frequently. In fact we were the subject of a Yahoo Finance article recently.

If you do a swap with a person there are certain steps you want to do to protect yourself and the person you're swapping with.

1. Don't trade expensive items. You need to either establish a "history" with them OR (as in the case of my forums) trade with someone with an established positive trading history.
  2. Take pictures. LOTS of pictures of what you're sending, how it's wrapped and anything should the other person try to scam you and claim you sent them the wrong things or it was counterfeit. (I've seen that happen.)
  3. Don't swap things that you'll lose money on in the event it gets lost or broken while in transit. For example, say you swap with someone an Urban Decay NAKED 2 palette - retails for $50 new - let's say it shatters on the way to the person you're swapping with. Both parties are going to have to chalk it up to a loss and depending on the arrangements you made with the person either you as the previous owner of it may have to return the items from the other person OR the person who received it will have to chalk it up to a loss.
  4. Bubble wrap, bubble wrap, bubble wrap. EVERYTHING should be bubble wrapped. What those who trade nail polishes do is place each bottle in a snack bag or larger size plastic bag then bubble wrap each item to prevent spillage and breakage. If you're sending some type of liquid TAPE the top to prevent it from spilling then place it in a baggie to prevent it from damaging other items if you're sending more than just that.
  5. ALWAYS use tracking and have the other person use tracking. There is NO excuse not to, not even cost, because you can use Paypal to ship First Class and Paypal provides tracking #s even on first class. I typically pay as little as $1.52 for shipping with tracking via Paypal.
  6. If the items are of higher value GET INSURANCE on your package. Remember that UD palette I mentioned above? If you put insurance on the package should the package become lost in transit OR arrive damaged you can file a claim.  Remember those pictures I told you about before? This is why you need to take pictures because if it's lost, stolen or damaged the USPS will want proof. Insurance is something like $1.20 and up.

cjsmom1
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM

bump

salamaat
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I am interested in doing makeup swaps I think it's a fun way to try new products. What is your forum called? Can I join?

Quoting Zadidoll:

Peace be with you <3

~ Aishah

othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

No I havent'

Zadidoll
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM

MakeupTalk.com.

Quoting salamaat:

I am interested in doing makeup swaps I think it's a fun way to try new products. What is your forum called? Can I join?

Quoting Zadidoll:

othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Good ideas

Quoting Zadidoll:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN