Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Do you ever mix your foundations?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

I find myself mixing foundations lately. Sometimes if a colour is just a tad too light or too dark I don't return it and will mix it with another to get the "right" shade. I find that I can customize better this way as it seems pretty much impossible to get the exact right shade for my skin unless it is very sheer. Plus between summer and winter my skin colour changes! I also mix foundations to get different finishes, like radiant or satin. 

Do you mix foundations?

MUA's + beauty experts is this a good idea?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Yep, I've done this before and so do a lot of people I know.

momofsixangels
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

No I havent

ae86mommy
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I basically have to because with self tanning twice a week, I'm a slightly different color every day lol. And I don't tan my face so I have to wear foundation or I look like a crazy person. I have one in the shade my skin naturally is, and one in the shade I am at my very tannest. I mix them to match my chest and neck everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM

bump

Zadidoll
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:04 AM
2 moms liked this

I do mix foundations. So do MUA on tv and move sets as well as on other shoots. NO ONE uses one foundation because it creates a flat look OR it's not the perfect color.

Just remember one thing - mix like products, that is water based to water based, oil based to oil based. Brand doesn't matter so long as it's water to water or oil to oil.

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM

So I know oil and water don't mix, but if I did this with foundation, would it cause the colours to separate and result in patchy coverage? What about if I have a cream to power foundation and mix that with a liquid....?

Quoting Zadidoll:

I do mix foundations. So do MUA on tv and move sets as well as on other shoots. NO ONE uses one foundation because it creates a flat look OR it's not the perfect color.

Just remember one thing - mix like products, that is water based to water based, oil based to oil based. Brand doesn't matter so long as it's water to water or oil to oil.

Zadidoll
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

It can indeed do that. It can also become cakey or slide right on off your face after a short amount of time.

If you have a cream to powder foundation and you mix two different types but both are cream to powder and both have similar ingredients you'll be good to go. There are some instances though that it may become  cakey but it's going to be a matter of experiementing to see if you can get the right balance. That's the fun part about make up - the experiementing.

If you mix a cream to powder with a liquid it won't be a cream to powder finish. Again, you'll need to experiement with that. I've never used a cream to powder mixed with a liquid but I do mix my BB creams with my MUFE HD and Mat Velvet foundations but the consistency does change as does the finish.

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Great info thanks!

Quoting Zadidoll:

It can indeed do that. It can also become cakey or slide right on off your face after a short amount of time.

If you have a cream to powder foundation and you mix two different types but both are cream to powder and both have similar ingredients you'll be good to go. There are some instances though that it may become  cakey but it's going to be a matter of experiementing to see if you can get the right balance. That's the fun part about make up - the experiementing.

If you mix a cream to powder with a liquid it won't be a cream to powder finish. Again, you'll need to experiement with that. I've never used a cream to powder mixed with a liquid but I do mix my BB creams with my MUFE HD and Mat Velvet foundations but the consistency does change as does the finish.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anagalia022
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I have mix foundations before

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)