Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Facial

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

I was told that I need a facial.  What is a facial, what do they do?  I have never had one.  Im not sure about others touching my face.

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Never had one!

johnny4ever

facial is a procedure involving a variety of skin treatments, including: steam, exfoliation, extraction, creams, lotions, facial masks, peels, and massage. They are normally performed in beauty salons but are also a common spa treatment. Facials are generally categorized, for example:

Facials are used for general skin health as well as for specific skin conditions.

johnny4ever

There are different kinds of masks (e.g. cactuscucumber, etc.) for different purposes: deep-cleansing, by penetrating the pores; healing acne scars or hyper-pigmentation; brightening, for a gradual illumination of the skin tone. Some masks are designed to dry or solidify on the face, almost like plaster; others just remain wet. The perceived effects of a facial mask treatment include revitalizing, healing, or refreshing; and, may yield temporary or long-term benefits (depending on environmental, dietary, and other skincare factors).

Masks are removed by either rinsing the face with water, wiping if off with a damp cloth, or peeling off of the face by hand. Duration for wearing a mask varies with the type of mask, and manufacturer's usage instructions. The time can range from a few minutes to overnight. Those with sensitive skin are advised to first test out the mask on a small portion of the skin, in order to check for any irritations.[citation needed] Some facial masks are not suited to frequent use. Aglycolic mask can only be used once a month without the risk of burning the skin.[citation needed]

Masks can be found anywhere from drugstores to department stores, and can vary in consistency and form. Setting masks include: clay, which is a thicker consistency, and will draw out impurities (and sometimes, natural oils, too) from the pores;[citation needed] a cream, which stays damp to hydrate the skin; sheet-style, in which a paper mask is dampened with liquid to tone and moisturize the skin; and lastly, a hybrid/clay and cream form that includes small beads for removing dead surface skin cells. Non-setting facial masks include warm oil and paraffin wax masks. These different forms are made to suit different skin types (e.g., oily or dry), and different skincare goals or needs (e.g., moisturizing, cleansing, exfoliating).[1] Clay and mud masks suit oily and some "combination" skin types, while cream-based masks tend to suit dry and sensitive skin types.[citation needed]

Egg oil has been used as a traditional face mask where it acts as an emollient, moisturizer, anti-oxidant, penetration enhancer, occlusive skin conditioner and anti-bacterial agent.[2][not in citation given][medical citation needed] As an occlusive agent, it protects against dehydration.[medical citation needed] It can be applied for two hours and washed off with a gentle face wash

TigerofMu
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I loved it!  Two years ago my husband got me a half day at the spa for Christmas, and it was fabulous!  The whole process was like one big, aromatic massage, and it felt wonderful!  Mine came with a neck and shoulder massage too :).  I got to lie down on a massage table in a darkened room, and they used steam and some moisturizing products to exfoliate, cleanse, and moisturize my face.

I think I got this one:
Detoxifying Vital C Facial - Oxygenates and removes free radicals to promote healthy, radiant skin and youthful glow (45 minutes)

I found a couple of links that talk about facials and what to expect.

Beauty 101     Join us in Beauty 101

Come Maximize your morning with

MAX THE MORNING!

othermom
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Never had a facial before, it does sound nice though

othermom
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM

That sounds nice

Quoting TigerofMu:

I loved it!  Two years ago my husband got me a half day at the spa for Christmas, and it was fabulous!  The whole process was like one big, aromatic massage, and it felt wonderful!  Mine came with a neck and shoulder massage too :).  I got to lie down on a massage table in a darkened room, and they used steam and some moisturizing products to exfoliate, cleanse, and moisturize my face.

I think I got this one:
Detoxifying Vital C Facial - Oxygenates and removes free radicals to promote healthy, radiant skin and youthful glow (45 minutes)

TigerofMu
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

It was definitely a treat!

Quoting othermom:

That sounds nice

Quoting TigerofMu:

I think I got this one:

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Never had one either. My mom loves to get them done though.

amyjane22
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I had a facial last year.  It was soooo relaxing!  The girl was so gentle.  She examined my skin and gave me some advice about it.  She exfolliated, moisturized, and did some other treatments on it.  I have sensitive skin, so she used products for those with sensitive skin.  It was great!  I highly recommend it.  I'd love to go back for another.

amyjane22
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Oh, and they had this relaxing music playing, and the lights were all dimmed....it was set up to be pefectly relaxing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN