Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

are u 40?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM
  • 12 Replies
Did u feel pretty or no? I dont. Turning 40 got me all upset. What do u do to feel pretty? Help me
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
D-Town
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel prettier at 40 than I did at 20.
kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:38 AM

I just turned 50.

When I turned 40 I felt as though I was on the top of the world. I didn't feel pretty. I felt fabulous and attractive.

I made sure that I ate well, walked everywhere, had a group of people around me who were funny, smart, witty, caring. I was creative. I had a few styles - from preppy to grunge passing by boho - but it was always *me*. The clothes didn't wear me, I wore the clothes and they were a reflection of my mood or a need (needed to be elegant to go out to a concert, needed to wear clothes I could get dirty in for jewellery making school). I was learning a lot, and keeping positive, so a lot of good energy was coming out from within, too. Whatever clothes I wore I made sure fit me well - it didn't have to cost a lot but it fit. I took care of my skin.

I laughed a lot, made others laugh and was surrounded by people who made me laugh.

KimmyPoo
by Kimberly on Aug. 20, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Thank you I needed to read this

Quoting kika.fleur:

I just turned 50.

When I turned 40 I felt as though I was on the top of the world. I didn't feel pretty. I felt fabulous and attractive.

I made sure that I ate well, walked everywhere, had a group of people around me who were funny, smart, witty, caring. I was creative. I had a few styles - from preppy to grunge passing by boho - but it was always *me*. The clothes didn't wear me, I wore the clothes and they were a reflection of my mood or a need (needed to be elegant to go out to a concert, needed to wear clothes I could get dirty in for jewellery making school). I was learning a lot, and keeping positive, so a lot of good energy was coming out from within, too. Whatever clothes I wore I made sure fit me well - it didn't have to cost a lot but it fit. I took care of my skin.

I laughed a lot, made others laugh and was surrounded by people who made me laugh.

purplemom3777
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I just turned 40 in July.... I feel your pain.

Twilight girl

kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

((((hugs))))

How are you feeling now?

We're kind of the transition generation (I am but it also trickles down to you, too, as there's such as culture that worships youth especially in the US.)

We are not like our grandmothers, who were considered old at 40 and who started to wear their hair short, started to wear more conservative clothes that covered everything because they were "old" and were "mothers".

Compared to them, we look younger and we are most probably in better physical shape, too. We are not on the brink of retirement. We're still got a lot of energy, there's another 30 to 35 years for you to start feeling old.

When I turned 40, it was a sort of liberation that I didn't feel when I was 30 (which, by the way, was an incredible decade for me.) Then things got in the way, I had to think and take care of other people, and I let myself go. Fortunately, I started to take care of myself again both physically and emotionally.

I've seen your photos. You are a beautiful woman. Don't let anyone, including yourself, tell you otherwise. Experiment a bit - it's fun, but you'll learn what works what doesn't right now for you. Take up a new interest. If you have small kids at home, there are a ton of things that you can do at home, but once in a while do go out and meet other women who share these interests of yours.

And honestly, whilst I was gorgeous back in my 20s and 30s, I'd rather be 50 right now.

Quoting KimmyPoo: Thank you I needed to read this
suesues
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:57 AM

been there now 50 get over it its still young change makeup or hair or clothes it just a #

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 2:09 AM

I'm 41, I still feel like 28.  I think having kids later in life, keep me young.  People don't realize that I'm 41, they think I'm in my mid 30's.  I am trying to eat cleaner, and have started working out.  I know that what is important is maintaining my health and the good relationships that surround me.  Welcome to the 40 club!

bhwrn1
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 6:03 AM

I'm 43. I don't "feel" 43, but not sure what it would mean to be anything else than what I am. I try to drink lots of water and wear clothing that I think looks nice. That makes me feel pretty.

Whereismymind
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM
I'm not close to 40 yet
SpiritedWitch
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I'm 44 and when my hair isn't being a PITA, yes I do. I embrace getting older b/c it means I have been alive for another year. It's another year I have been able to spend with my hubby. I don't even use those "anti-aging" products but I do color my hair but that's b/c I'm flighty about the color ... red to black to red to blended. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN