Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

K12 lawsuit

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 9:39 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 1371 Total Views

I found this very interesting.  I hear so many people say how homeschoolers need oversight to make sure we are doing a good job educationing our kids.  The fact is the more oversight we have the harder our job is.  I know k12 is inviting to a lot of new homeschoolers because of their lack of confindance.  When I began homeschooling I had the same lack of confindance.  I wasn't sure that I could teach a child to read.  It was very quickly I realized I didn't really need to.  I merely set up the right environment and then just followed their lead.    Interested in hearning some more thoughts.  Have a great weekend.

Class Action Lawsuits Against K12 Inc. Announced

A recent post, Outcomes Analyses Suggest Concerns for Virtual Schools, presented evidence warranting concern for increasing access to full-time online schools. Among the top virtual school providers is K12 Inc., a for-profit organization. It appears, as documented below, that in addition to troublesome academic outcomes K12 Inc. faces class action lawsuits from their stockholders. Here’s a listing of the law firms alleging specific complaints on behalf of their clients.

A law firm, Lieff, Cabraser, Heimann & Bernstein LLP, announced on February 15 it filed a class-action lawsuit against K12 Inc. The complaint alleges,

… that during the Class Period, defendants misrepresented and omitted material information concerning K12’s operations, financial performance, and business prospects. On December 12, 2011, The New York Timesreported its findings from an investigation into K12 and its online schools. Based on a review of K12’s operations, the Times found that “a portrait emerges of a company that tries to squeeze profits from public school dollars by raising enrollment, increasing teacher workload and lowering standards.” The Times also found that K12 used high-pressure recruitment strategies to increase student enrollment at K12 schools, that K12 teachers were pressured to pass students despite poor academic performance, and that a significant number of K12 students failed to meet federal and state standards of academic achievement. Following the publication of the Timesarticle, the price of K12 common stock fell $6.79 per share, or approximately 23.5 percent, to close at $22.00 on December 13, 2011, on unusually high trading volume.

Law Offices of Howard G. Smith alleges a similar complaint against K12 Inc.

The Complaint alleges that defendants misrepresented or failed to disclose material adverse facts about the Company’s business, operations and prospects, including that: (i) the Company had engaged in improper and deceptive recruiting and sales strategies, aimed at enrolling students regardless of their ability to successfully complete the curriculum; (ii) the Company failed to disclose administrative pressure from upper management to pass students, despite poor or nonexistent academic performance, so as to maintain high enrollment levels and continued government payments; (iii) the Company failed to maintain its students’ math and reading performance at statewide grade-level performance; and (iv), as a result of the foregoing, defendants’ statements regarding the Company’s empirical academic performance, financial performance, and business and financial prospects were false and misleading and lacked a reasonable basis.

by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I've never heard of these people...

faeriemom1972
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM
This is that online school thing right? I don't watch too much TV, but when i did it seemed like there was always a commercial for it.
It is a dream come true to be able to give my son the gift of learning on his own terms, a cubicle at home is no different than a cubicle at school, they both stink.
Saracide
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM
I looked into K12 for my son, but all I read were bad reviews. I'm glad I didn't go that route.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM

K12 was worst thing I ever did. We were in it 6 weeks of HELL !!!! Never do anything like that again ever!!!

rachelrothchild
by Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Sad.  We see the commercials here, but I haven't looked into it.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Mar. 24, 2012 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you know how many people would have taken 5 years to realize it wasn't working?

Way to go, recognizing the mis-step and correcting it!

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

K12 was worst thing I ever did. We were in it 6 weeks of HELL !!!! Never do anything like that again ever!!!

doughgirl37
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Quoting LindaClement:

Do you know how many people would have taken 5 years to realize it wasn't working?

Way to go, recognizing the mis-step and correcting it!

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

K12 worked well for us for my son's year of K and 1st (back in 2008) but it took me another year and a half to let go because of my own fears of going on my own. But I am so glad we did!!

ravenfuture2000
by New Member on May. 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I pulled my son out of public school  almost 2 years ago after repeated complaints to the teachers, principal, and superintendent regarding physical and emotional abuse toward my son by fellow students that went unanswered. I filed a complaint as well with the state. He is highly intelligent but in 5th grade they were still teaching "run sally run". No joke. As there were other students who couldn't read and somehow made it to 5th grade in that condition. My son has Aspergers Autism, and in the 1 yr 9 months I've had him in K12, he has finished, 6th grade, with an A-, 7th grade with a B+ and an A in 2nd year French, and he is now finishing 8th grade, with an A-, and a 97 in fFench 3rd year. All his schiences were advanced level, Life-Natural_and Earth science. He starts 9th grade in September, and it will be through the K12 Academy, since he does so well with this system. Oh, and he is only just 13 2 months ago. The K12 system is not for everyone or every child, and PARENTS need to do their own homework and assess their own skill levels, time restrictions and tolerance abilities before jumping into any program when it comes to their kids, especially with regards to education. I work full time, and am a single mother. I thought homeschooling would be impossible, especially with a special needs child. K12 works for him, and for me but thats because we work with it. it's a learning process, and you need to learn to change your thinking and become more flexible, make it enjoyable for them, WORK AT THEIR PACE (childs) not your own, and yes it is still your responsibility as the parent acting as teacher to send back assignments to re-do, or re-write, and yes you need to check their work, You are their teacher now, not the school system anymore. Homeschooling is NOT a license free for all to just let them do what they want, there still needs to be structure, but you can desing that structure to benefit your child and what works best for them, there as many different ways to learn, not every child learns the same way.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on May. 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM

You do know that this is a group for unschoolers, right?

Quoting ravenfuture2000:

I pulled my son out of public school  almost 2 years ago after repeated complaints to the teachers, principal, and superintendent regarding physical and emotional abuse toward my son by fellow students that went unanswered. I filed a complaint as well with the state. He is highly intelligent but in 5th grade they were still teaching "run sally run". No joke. As there were other students who couldn't read and somehow made it to 5th grade in that condition. My son has Aspergers Autism, and in the 1 yr 9 months I've had him in K12, he has finished, 6th grade, with an A-, 7th grade with a B+ and an A in 2nd year French, and he is now finishing 8th grade, with an A-, and a 97 in fFench 3rd year. All his schiences were advanced level, Life-Natural_and Earth science. He starts 9th grade in September, and it will be through the K12 Academy, since he does so well with this system. Oh, and he is only just 13 2 months ago. The K12 system is not for everyone or every child, and PARENTS need to do their own homework and assess their own skill levels, time restrictions and tolerance abilities before jumping into any program when it comes to their kids, especially with regards to education. I work full time, and am a single mother. I thought homeschooling would be impossible, especially with a special needs child. K12 works for him, and for me but thats because we work with it. it's a learning process, and you need to learn to change your thinking and become more flexible, make it enjoyable for them, WORK AT THEIR PACE (childs) not your own, and yes it is still your responsibility as the parent acting as teacher to send back assignments to re-do, or re-write, and yes you need to check their work, You are their teacher now, not the school system anymore. Homeschooling is NOT a license free for all to just let them do what they want, there still needs to be structure, but you can desing that structure to benefit your child and what works best for them, there as many different ways to learn, not every child learns the same way.

My kids did not live within any form of educational 'structure'... they were, genuinely and literally 'free' to do anything they wanted to --same as they would have been on any Saturday afternoon in July.

Including 'nothing at all' on any specific subject, for as many years in a row as they didn't feel like doing anything at all on the subject.

smbrott
by New Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

This is my take on the lawsuit...  this is my own opinion.....

Okay here goes.

1.  it is wrong to do false reports about the corporation.....This is soooooo wrong but they wouldn't be the first for profit company has done this.  So them doing this should be blown up to more than Walmart or Facebook doing the same thing.

2.  raising enrollment fee's ....ummmm if this is so bad than it is not for profit.  Everything goes up in prices....If they are the only one than why does gas go up...why does it cost more to buy toliet paper. ......why does it cost me more each year to buy food to keep in my children's stomach...why do we have to pay more out of pocket for my children to have health benefits?

3.  High pressure Reqruitment.....ummm they didn't force my hand or anyone to apply.  Yes they do  make it appealing for first times but every other circulum i have checked out was high pressured and appealing too.  I have AOP calling me every two weeks to ask me what they can do to have me purchase their curriculum.  I get about 40 emails a week from other publishers/companies.  I have Calvert emailing me every month trying to help me "afford" their curriculum...

4. "The Times also found that K12 used high-pressure recruitment strategies to increase student enrollment at K12 schools, that K12 teachers were pressured to pass students despite poor academic performance, and that a significant number of K12 students failed to meet federal and state standards of academic achievement."  <--- Sounds like all of the public schools hear without my child being bullied in the bathroom and out on the playground.....

5.  "Following the publication of the Timesarticle, the price of K12 common stock fell $6.79 per share, or approximately 23.5 percent, to close at $22.00 on December 13, 2011, on unusually high trading volume."....yeah....  All companies go up and down....companies don't stay at the same stock price for its life time... nothing is smooth...as you look at all companies, their stock goes up and it goes down.

6.  "The Complaint alleges that defendants misrepresented or failed to disclose material adverse facts about the Company’s business, operations and prospects, including that: (i) the Company had engaged in improper and deceptive recruiting and sales strategies, aimed at enrolling students regardless of their ability to successfully complete the curriculum"  <-- Isn't this the parent's fault?  If a parent signs their 5 year old up for physics class...it is obvious it won't work and the student won't pass.  The parent is the childs last defence and has last say at what is the best curriculum for their child.  K12 gives demo accounts that allow parents to view all the grades.  I thought at first that yeah right and when i go enroll it will be different.  I sat and compared the dummy account with a mother of a local child in k12.  It was the same...No different.  I have the info for K-8 grades and I can see that in a few subjects my son will hit the wall/being harder at various subjects earlier than others....Don't blame k12 for the parents signing their child up for a program that they can't do or unable to complete.  Not one curriculum will suit every homeschool child in the world.  I love unschooling method.  It is a great idea, but it isn't what works for my children.  It is not their fault or my fault.  But it would be my fault if I picked a curriculum that was wrong for them.

7. "(iii) the Company failed to maintain its students’ math and reading performance at statewide grade-level performance"  <-- okay and core curriculum is any better?  My child was as I called it Dumbed-up.  He went into Grade K with first or second grade level in all of the subjects.  The district supervisor and super refused to allow him to go to the first grade class for both subjects while he was in Grade K.  They even admitted that he is way beyond what the grade k is teaching.  But in the same breath they said they don't and won't do that for any child till the first day of 5th grade.....The only thing has changed is he has better penmanship.  He has better than I have ... LOL .... If you look at his report card he has maintained the highest grade across every core requirement.  And he was left with comments that he hasn't improved in any area's since the beginning of the year.  I am having to fight the school district/school principal to have this comment removed.  I had no control over him being able to be at a level that challenged him.  His teacher actually told him if he was board he could help the other classmates or put his head down till they go to the next activity....<-- the principal and school district said this was an acceptable instruction for a child that is bored in class.  While he maintained his #2 (would be #1 if he didn't have sick days) spot his bestfriend who received all 1's and 2's which are below average.  This child can barely read and he doesn't know the difference between writing the letter S and the number 5.  And he is being moved to first grade.  The teacher and Princpal state they teach at the level of the class and that every child should be able to learn....I responded with then why isn't my child learning anything?  

I think the parents that don't succeed in this program are actually not using the program as it should be done.  I have met with families within my county that have opinions ranging from awful to perfect for their children.  Each one that was a negative remark showed no assistance to their child to learn and the parent did most of the learning than the child.  They fudged the answers that they reported and than it just snowballed to where it is the worest program for the child now.  The ones that were positive were ones that allowed their children to fail and progress.  They typed in the information correctly.  They asked for help from the services provided.  They admitted it was hard to use but very much worth it for their child.

One of the families gave their 9th grader the choice to continue on or go to the local B&M school.  The child asked to go to the local public B&M school.  The child was extremely bored and asked to go back to K12 thru the entire year.  The child  was at college level in all subjects because they were allowed to excel past their grade.  They are now signed up to go back to k12 for the 10th grade.  Where I live they do not allow children to graduate more than 1 academic year early or before they turn 17 years old.  They don't allow the child to progress more than 1 year past their standard grade for their age.  So if this child tested out of all of his high school classes they will be sitting for two academic years doing what we call "fluff" work corses.    The AP courses here are not what I even consider AP.  While fighting for my son to do advanced course I found out that the district's scores for elementary schools averaged 64% ... Ummmm that is considered failing in my book.

I am on my iPad trying to respond this and having problems going back to fix my typing and grammer.  I am still learning.  I am sorry if I have typed incorrectly and hope that what I am trying to say is clearer than mud.

Just remember no one is perfect homeschooler and no curriculum or type of curriculum is perfect for everyone.  If it was than all the kids would be in the B&M and there wouldn't be any homeschooling families.

Shannon Margaret

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN