Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Foreign language?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 394 Total Views
I know a lot of colleges require foreign language (3-4 years, I think). So how does an unschooler get the foreign language requirement?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faeriemom1972
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm still new at this, but if your child wants to learn a foreign language either for pleasure or to get in to a school of his/her choice there must be classes that offer something. My son is only 6 and since I'm pretty committed to unschooling, so I really haven't thought that far ahead. I'm sure one of the more seasoned unschoolers will be more helpful.
Bleacheddecay
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

My kids wanted to study.Japanese

We tried a lot of different things.

English/ Japanese dictionary,

Pimsleur

Two years of Rosetta Stone free at library web site (not impressed)

My Japanese Tutor on Nintendo d/s $50.00, and

http://www.livemocha.com/ free.

These last two are highly recommended.

But my son says he picked up the MOST by watching anime and playing games in Japanese with English subtitles rather than English voice dubbing which he says is horrible voice acting.

YzmaRocks
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I just assumed my children would go to college. Growing up, not going to college was not an option. It wasn't even discussed. In fact, I don't think I ever considered not going so I assumed all my children would do the same.

Bleacheddecay
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM
2 moms liked this

My oldest got an academic scholarship and is in the honors program at her college. Next year is her Senior year.

My youngest got an athletic scholarship and is about to start his freshman year this fall.

jessradtke
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

My kids wanted to study.Japanese

We tried a lot of different things.

English/ Japanese dictionary,

Pimsleur

Two years of Rosetta Stone free at library web site (not impressed)

My Japanese Tutor on Nintendo d/s $50.00, and

http://www.livemocha.com/ free.

These last two are highly recommended.

But my son says he picked up the MOST by watching anime and playing games in Japanese with English subtitles rather than English voice dubbing which he says is horrible voice acting.

*THIS* My son started with Spanish and ASL when he was younger, but Japanese was what he really wanted to learn. He learned quite a bit just through listening to anime in Japanese (with subtitles) and using books like "Basic Japanese Through Comics", but wanted to learn more. He started taking kendo a few years ago and learned more Japanese from his sensei, who is also a Japanese teacher. He has also used several audio programs and online programs. He and a couple of other kids have been meeting with a Japanese tutor once a week. And now he's considering enrolling in a dual enrollment program at a local college so he can take basic college level Japanese.

PEACE,

JESSICA

faeriemom1972
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Quoting YzmaRocks:

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I just assumed my children would go to college. Growing up, not going to college was not an option. It wasn't even discussed. In fact, I don't think I ever considered not going so I assumed all my children would do the same.

My family was the same way and it was awful for me. If my "career" choice had required a diploma, I would have gone to college, but it didn't and I loved what I did before I became a sahm. My husband did not go to college, but he is very well read, intelligent and supports our family at his job of 16 years. We have a lovely home on an acre of land and are quite happy despite our lack of formal education. I say this, because my family is still horrified that I didn't go to college.
faeriemom1972
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Quoting Bleacheddecay:

My oldest got an academic scholarship and is in the honors program at her college. Next year is her Senior year.

My youngest got an athletic scholarship and is about to start his freshman year this fall.

That is so cool! Were they always unschooled?
Bleacheddecay
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:30 PM

No. They were in public school until 4th and 6th grades respectively. Then we homeschooled. We only fully unschooled for one year, the rest of the time we were eclectic.

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

That is so cool! Were they always unschooled?

LindaClement
by Group Owner on May. 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I know several people who learned foreign languages by doing cultural exchanges: going to live for a time with another family in another country. One friend learned both French and Japanese that way.

Colleges will let 'fluency' stand in place of 'credits' on the subject of second (and third and so on) languages.

TigerofMu
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:17 AM

You can usually test out with the colleges as far as fluency vs. credits.

As far as just dabbling in the languages and learning basics, there are classes offered through Currclick.com, and we like to use a program that our library has a free link to, called Mango Languages.  

You can also often checkout audio cd's or tapes of foreign language instruction at your local library, or sometimes find them reasonably priced on ebay.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)