Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are finally taking the plunge!

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 276 Total Views

Howdy, all!  We've been hs'ing for a few years, but we have finally gotten up the nerve to unschool! My kiddos attended ps through 6th and 3rd grades.  As ps goes, they were great students.  Straight A's, no discipline problems, but the whole system caused my head to spin.  Just the fact that my parental rights were put on hold for the 7 hours my kids were in the "institution" was enough for me!  Our first hs year, we tried to replicate school at home, and nearly gave up.  We became more relaxed the next year, but we still followed a curriculum.  This year, my dd 13 (who is registered with our umbrella school as a 10th grader) broke down.  She was trying to learn algebra, and she was in tears.  That's when I realized something.  She wasn't failing algebra because she wasn't able to do the work.  She was failing algebra because she hates it.  She is a talented artist, reads constantly, and is teaching herself Latin. My ds 11, on the other hand, loves math!  He asked me yesterday if he could try algebra.  I told him to go for it!  So, for the first time, the curriculum is going on Craigs List, and we are going to start exploring!  I'm excited, but scared to death!  Any tips ya'll have would be welcome!

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 11 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
faeriemom1972
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Sorry, no words of wisdom. My son is only 6 so I am really wet behind the ears. Excited and scared to death sums it up! Everyday though, I see or read something that makes me feel very good about what we are doing. Good luck, I look forward to hearing about your adventures!
jen2150
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

My boys are only 8 and 9 so I don't have any teenagers but I just wanted to say hello.  I took Alegebra 1 in high school and failed it miserable.  I retook it the next and did very well.  I think that if a child doesn't take to something it doesn't mean they won't later when the time is right.  I started my boys learning to write when they were 3 years old.  I very quickly discovered they weren't ready developmentally.  I waited another year  and they enjoyed learning to write and did very well.  My son has always hated writing but I realized it wasn't writing he hated as much as being made to write.  He would make these special drawings and label his drawings.  He was writing in his free time.  He would even come to me and ask how to spell words for his drawings.  I think there is a time for everything.  I would wait a year or two and then see how she is doing but let her do the leading.  I use teaching textbooks for my boys but I let lead in how we do it.  Sometimes my son likes to play with numbers and then I just follow his lead.  Last week he was taking his CAT test and during the Math section he started playing with numbers on his scrap paper.  He wrote in the answer for 5 times 3 and then just started doubling the answer and had fun.  He was having fun while taking his CAT test.  I really love that kid.  He cracks me up so much sometimes.  

Right now I am reading  a book called Einstein never used flash cards.  It talk about how kids brains develop mathematically.  it is really amazing.  They found that 46% of kids play time involves the use of mathematical concepts.  Their brains are geared to think a certain way and given freedom they will develop those skills.  Personally I would tailor what you do around their interests.  I have heard great things about the Life of Fred.  I have never used it so I can't say how it might work.  My son is almost 10 and loves math.  I think he would enjoy it.  My son is very good with figures in his head.  Last year he was struggling with learning his times tables and he was getting frustrated.  I decided to just let it go.  I copied off a times tables chart for him to use with his math.  He loves it.  He uses it as he figures out his own problems.  He slowly learning his times tables as he was meant to learn them. 

Remember education is what remains when you have forgotten everything you have learned.  

I also think our example is the greatest benefit to our children.  If I want my kids to be curious and enjoy learning then I better lead by example.  There is nothing more special to me  than when I am curled up on my bed with a good book and my 9 year old is curled beside doing the same thing.  Set a good example, and follow their lead and you can't go wrong.  

LindaClement
by Group Owner on May. 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratuations!

Relax.

That's the tip I have.

Your kids WILL learn... they're learning all the time. There is nothing you can do to stop it, however easy it is to turn them off any given subject ...

carolkey74
by New Member on May. 26, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Quoting LindaClement:

Congratuations!

Relax.

That's the tip I have.

Your kids WILL learn... they're learning all the time. There is nothing you can do to stop it, however easy it is to turn them off any given subject ...

Boy, have we realized this JUST THIS WEEK! My dd has developed a fascination of the Mayan culture. She did a timeline of important Mayan events, has studied their language and mathematics systems, and their farming practices, all because she wanted to! My ds found a computer game about angle and velocity, and wanted to put it to the test. He made ramps out of books on the dining room floor, and jumped one of his toy cars. He said, "look, mom! If I change the angle, my car loses velocity! It needs a motor to compensate for the loss of velocity!" . Keep in mind that when we were in ps, my son was labeled special Ed due to his Aspergers. I was told he had a below average iq. Really?? Needless to say, I've just stared open mouthed at my kiddos this week. I would have never listed these things in a lesson plan, because they aren't on "grade level". I've turned my lesson planning book into a "look what we did!" book. It's a much happier book now! :)

Mom of Laura and Nathan, wife of Jason, and blessed beyond belief!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on May. 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM

The fun part is when that becomes so 'normal' in your life that when other people comment on it you say, 'oh, what? Oh. Oh, yeah...'

Quoting carolkey74:

Quoting LindaClement:

Congratuations!

Relax.

That's the tip I have.

Boy, have we realized this JUST THIS WEEK! My dd has developed a fascination of the Mayan culture. She did a timeline of important Mayan events, has studied their language and mathematics systems, and their farming practices, all because she wanted to! My ds found a computer game about angle and velocity, and wanted to put it to the test. He made ramps out of books on the dining room floor, and jumped one of his toy cars. He said, "look, mom! If I change the angle, my car loses velocity! It needs a motor to compensate for the loss of velocity!" . Keep in mind that when we were in ps, my son was labeled special Ed due to his Aspergers. I was told he had a below average iq. Really?? Needless to say, I've just stared open mouthed at my kiddos this week. I would have never listed these things in a lesson plan, because they aren't on "grade level". I've turned my lesson planning book into a "look what we did!" book. It's a much happier book now! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)