Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gee, Linda. That was fun!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 458 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Yo, mamas-

So, in conversations online, do you find that when discussing unschooling, you're somehow supposed to not say what you think about the school system for fear of 'attacking' the 'other side', but when they tell you their concerns, you're supposed to just stuff it?

I find it wildly hilarious... in a... oh, 'this is why society is so screwed' kind of way.

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dedicatedrider
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM
4 moms liked this

This goes for just about any unconventional parenting choice.....

YzmaRocks
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this
This is true. Even with things like Breastfeeding. If I dare mention anything about BFing, homeschooling, etc. on FB at least one friend gets upset.

Quoting dedicatedrider:

This goes for just about any unconventional parenting choice.....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheCrooners
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. These are the same people that preach tolerance in one breath and then make ignorant statements in the next. They also want to you to account for all your actions and decisions pertaining to your own children. I don't do that for the government much less some stranger on the Internet. I don't mind discussing unschooling methods. But when the person is hostile and closed off to understanding they aren't worth my time. Understanding doesn't mean agreeing.

But you ladies kept the exchange intelligent and interesting in the other thread. I really enjoyed reading your responses. :-)
jessradtke
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM

There's never been much about me that is mainstream, so I've gotten used to dealing with conversations like that. Luckily, I'm a very difficult person to upset and don't take most comments personally, so I can usually deal with it. I state my opinions, back up what I can with facts and research, and give the other person the chance to do the same. They can disagree all they want, but if they start calling people names, I'm outta' there. I can't make them respect me or my opinions, but I refuse to stand there and be disrespected.

faeriemom1972
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I cant even say "unschooling" without the person I'm talking to looking like they are going to have an aneurysm. It's sad and shocking how many people still believe home-schooled children are anti-social weirdos. 

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Well, they hear unschooling and equate it with no schooling which obviously means no education, right? (insert eyeroll) Which is why depending on who I am talking to I will refer to it as child led learning or eclectic learning or just plain old homeschooling. I don't know why it's so difficult to understand the whole concept but it makes people's brains pop from straining so hard to understand.
Raintree
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry that I posted and ran away. I got busy yesterday- and for some reason am not getting notifications for this post.

Anyway- yes, it is common for about anything non-conventional. Unfortunately. The crazy thing I noticed yesterday was that among the louder people against unschooling- some of them lean towards hating on the public school system when it suits them. Seemed a bit convenient for them.

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Someone responded that even with 7 years of college education she wasn't qualified to teach her own child. Not even her mother with the Master's Degree would be qualified. It was very ironic considering how the whole unschooling discussion was centered more on the importance of a college education than it was unschooling. What use is 7 years of college if you aren't qualified to even teach one child much less whatever it is you're studying for?! She should have just stated that she was against homeschooling and left it at that.

I didn't read one logical reason why they were so against unschooling. Their reasons were based on ignorance alone. Linda had some excellent responses though. My favorite was asking if someone's child had learned to walk through a committee approved curriculum. LOL!
faeriemom1972
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure you have all seen this one, but I just love it.

Raintree
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Yes- that was bizarre. And it's such a strange mindset.

Also, I've begun to think that college is hardly useful these days. I have a friend who skipped college- he started with us, took the MCAT (I think it's the MCAT) and went straight to medschool. College is so often a repeat of highschool. Most of my friends with college degrees work apart from what their degree was in. But they get paid more because of that degree- or so we're led to believe. It's weird. Just weird.

Quoting TheCrooners:

Someone responded that even with 7 years of college education she wasn't qualified to teach her own child. Not even her mother with the Master's Degree would be qualified. It was very ironic considering how the whole unschooling discussion was centered more on the importance of a college education than it was unschooling. What use is 7 years of college if you aren't qualified to even teach one child much less whatever it is you're studying for?! She should have just stated that she was against homeschooling and left it at that.

I didn't read one logical reason why they were so against unschooling. Their reasons were based on ignorance alone. Linda had some excellent responses though. My favorite was asking if someone's child had learned to walk through a committee approved curriculum. LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN