Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feels like home already!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:30 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 172 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I just joined, thanks to Linda's post in the Current Events board. I never knew this was here but I'm so glad I've found it!

I'm Ruby, mama to 4 year old Seri and I have an SO of 9 years. Right now we're parked in NYC and enjoying it but we've been very nomadic for the last 9 years and are looking for a place to settle outside the frantic city :)

I've secretly been interested in radical unschooling for years, even before Seri was born. We mostly live by the principles of RUing, in our family life and parenting as well as educationally. And yet I've never called myself an unschooler, mostly out of fear of judgment and shunning. But I'm growing more comfortable in my own skin, my independence, my motherhood, and I'm starting to embrace it more and more. Even better now that I've found a community, however small, to talk to on here.

So this is my coming out, I guess!

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jessradtke
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Welcome to the group! I'm avoiding the current events thread because I just don't want to deal with other people's drama, but it sure looked...interesting. lol

My kids have always been unschooled, but I don't always use that label. In general, we don't label ourselves at all, if possible. People make assumptions about what we do and I let them, and then we just keep doing what we do. It all works out and there's little to no drama.

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Hi Ruby, glad to have you here! I've got two autistic sons (12 & 10). We started off unschooling when my oldest was 2 and diagnosed with autism. We went completely against the current professional recommendations at the time and I've never regretted the decision. Both of my sons are flourishing in this lifestyle to the disbelief of their doctors. They're supportive now but remain confused. lol
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Welcome out!

I'm glad you joined in the conversation!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

We were much the same: I liked the ideas I encountered under the heading 'unschooling' but also 'attachment parenting' and 'non-coercive parenting' (all of which sometimes go too far, or are strangely distorted from my idea of them) ... but thought of our lives as 'living'.

Like how few people have a label for how they live on Saturdays in July :D

Quoting jessradtke:

Welcome to the group! I'm avoiding the current events thread because I just don't want to deal with other people's drama, but it sure looked...interesting. lol

My kids have always been unschooled, but I don't always use that label. In general, we don't label ourselves at all, if possible. People make assumptions about what we do and I let them, and then we just keep doing what we do. It all works out and there's little to no drama.

rachelrothchild
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome :)

-Ruby-
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Thank you for the warm welcomes!! I forgot I posted this, LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)