Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We Do That

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 487 Total Views

I'll name one wacky, homeschooler, out-of-the-mainstream thing we did at home... you say 'we did that' (or not) and then name something you did.

Remember the motto: 

People are weird, there are no exceptions!!

by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Sit on the couch on a sunny afternoon, under a pile of fresh library books and read the whole stack...

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Guilty as charged! I have a Kindle now but sometimes I love the smell of old musty books!

Who has:
Stayed in bed all morning long with the kids just talking, sharing and laughing?

HavenWoodHome
by Founder on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM
2 moms liked this

We haven't done either of the above. But one winter we had a bad snow storm. It snowed for days. My husband works for the power company so he was gone restoring people's electricity. My son and I would go out every few hours and shovel the driveway (it was coming that fast, and that was before we had the snow blower). Every time we came in we'd watch a few more episodes of LOST. In 4 days we watched 17 episodes!

faeriemom1972
by Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

We love snow day marathons! Our go to shows are Red Dwarf and Doctor Who. My son and I like to test dh's sanity. I help my son set up contraptions so he can perform stunts, my husband is wonderful but a bit anal, lol. I love seeing the panicked look on his face while our son does his tight rope act all of 3 feet off the ground :)

jen2150
by Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I don't usually help my son with his contraptions.  I am more of an idea person.  I am not very mechanical.  Most of the time I just ask what he needs.  He usually is the one helping me when it comes to contraptions.

Today I not only let my son get dirty but I basically encouraged him to to get dirty.  After being sick all week I took them to the city park.  There is a big stream running through the park and I told my son roll up his pant legs if he was going to go in the stream.   That was all the encouragement he needed.  Before i knew it my boys were drenched.  They even were able to catch a turtle.  My boys were the only ones in the stream.  I could tell the two boys they were with wanted to join them.  Apparently I was the only brave mom there.  I even a few looks from moms that probably didn't understand why any mom what let their boys get so wet and dirty.  They had so much fun.

songbird2716
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this
We love getting dirty! Playing in the garden, making mud puddles to splash in....recently EVERY painting activity has ended in full-body paints, followed by dancing around the yard.

We also have a tendency to look very much like "weird homeschool kids" and I absolutely love it. Halloween costumes to the grocery store in June, jammies for a week straight, pink and purple hair in various braids and ponies, every nail a different color, homemade accessories made from recycled materials we find around the house....my kids always walk out of the house feeling proud and confident. It is an incredible thing to witness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Ruby-
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 1:25 AM
2 moms liked this

LOL! We love dressing wacky too. Today we went to the store, me in my riding boots, breeches and half chaps, and DD in her jammies. I almost felt weird about it when I saw people staring, but then I thought, "Hell with them! I'm having fun and so is she!"

We get on different schedules sometimes and become huge night owls. Right now we're staying up until 2-3AM and getting up at noon. Screw it, I'm a SAHM! Who says getting up at 8 and going to bed early is the "right" way when you have nowhere to be? ANd the world at night is pure magic to a child. And to me too!

We get dirty looks when we go swimming (our building has a pool) at midnight or I take her out for a bite to eat at midnight or 1, but whatever. We live in a 24/7 city right now, and the owner of our favourite place loves us, LOL. It's slow at night and he comes over and just chats with us. He's even showed DD around the kitchen and let her try dropping different things into the fryer to see if they fry. How cool is that? Never get that during busy hours!

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM
My oldest has always had a different rythmn concerning sleep. There are times, usually around a full moon, where we stay up really late. Usually during that week a clock doesn't exist. Just this past weekend we stayed up to watch the meteor showers.

Okay, so the neighborhood kids like to visit my sons after they get out of school to see what sort of cool projects they're working on. When they made a huge volcano we not only had the neighbors' kids but their parents coming over wanting to watch. They also like to bring their homework so my sons can help them with it. Sometimes they get so wrapped up in learning with my kids that they don't want to go home.
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM

My kids used to help with homework --with girls they danced with, some of whom were a couple of years older than my kids!

My kids made a tin-can sized hole in the middle of the front lawn, and used it as an experimental beaker --pouring baking soda in it and adding vinegar, making mud pies, mashing leaves into potions, making flower infusions. We know a fairly large selection of ways to kill grass, as a result.

-Ruby-
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Got to try that when we actually have grass again LOL! We've done similar things in the sink though. Gotta brush up on chemistry, DD is getting more into science each day *eek!*

She loves to help. So so much. I never would have believed it, since other than those relating to horses, I hated work (though I'd run myself ragged all on my own, no prompting or reward for it, when it came to working in the barn). Reminded of that old adage, do what you love and never work a day in your life, heh. She truly loves it, it's a big game to her. She's even made it fun for me. We live in 550 sqft at the moment, not a lot to clean, but DD will come to me some days and ask if we can play with rags on our bare feet and clean the floor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN