Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech Therapy?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 144 Total Views

My DD is 4 1/2. According to her pedi, she needs speech therapy. I'll admit she does not speak clearly. It may be our fault because we have always said 'her' words back to her instead of the correct word. Such as, she says nakey instead of naked. So now everyone in our home says nakey. LOL. We all just thought it was cute so we didn't 'correct' it. Her pedi is pretty much saying it's our fault and that she now needs therapy. She had 65 errors on her assesment test. We understand 95% of what she says. Sometimes we have to ask her to repeat herself and she will. If we still don't understand, she gets frustrated and gives us some type of description of the word she was trying to say. Like, for example, if she were to say 'octopus' and we didn't understand her, she would say something like 'you know, it lives in the water and has lots of legs!'.

She has been to one of her speech classes. They are twice a week for 30 mins each. She liked it the first time and was excited. Today, she does not want to go. I asked her why and she said at first because she doesn't think they will let her wear her swimsuit that I told her she could wear. I assured her she could. Then she said because her teacher won't let her play with some type of sandwich toy. I told her we could talk to the therapist and find out why. She said ok then.

I am sorry this is long and all over the place. I guess my question is, should I make her go? Does she really need it?

We do lots of things at home. We talk to her, we read to her, she watches tv. Is that enough?

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I think your pedi is ... speaking outside your pedi's field and should probably stick to the subjects she has actually qualified on for her licence.

Why was she assessed?

If she can speak clearly enough to be understood, and she's progressing in her abilities (and I suggest that you use real words around her, because that kind of thing is 'cute' for a 4yo, and obnoxious in a 9yo --who will not thank you when she finds out why people think she's stupid)... she has all of what she 'needs' to learn to speak correctly. Now she just needs to live in an environment of correct speech, and she'll catch on very quickly.

Yes, that is enough... but you will have to repeat back to her what she's trying to say 'correctly' (without emotion, just 'oh, you mean you want the yellow octopus...') so she gets lots of reinforcement for how it really is.

I had a friend who was very disappointed that we hadn't made up a whole new language, so our kids thought red meant car and up meant food, etc... wacky sense of humour, that guy has!

supermom2xlb
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM

She was assessed because at her 4 year well visit the pedi said he felt she didn't speak properly. So he sent her in for an assesement. I really don't like her going. The therapists seem nice enough but all they do is have her repeat words the whole time she's in there. I can do that at home. But I didn't want to feel like I was doing DD some type of disservice by not bringing her.

As far as the cute language goes...yeah, I know it probably wasn't our best idea. But she is our baby, probably the last, unless by some miracle I can convince SO that a fifth baby would be great....that's probably not gonna happen!I do tend to 'baby' her a lot.

I am going to try to work with her myself and see how it goes. I mostly just hate sending her some place she really doesn't want to go!

Quoting LindaClement:

I think your pedi is ... speaking outside your pedi's field and should probably stick to the subjects she has actually qualified on for her licence.

Why was she assessed?

If she can speak clearly enough to be understood, and she's progressing in her abilities (and I suggest that you use real words around her, because that kind of thing is 'cute' for a 4yo, and obnoxious in a 9yo --who will not thank you when she finds out why people think she's stupid)... she has all of what she 'needs' to learn to speak correctly. Now she just needs to live in an environment of correct speech, and she'll catch on very quickly.

Yes, that is enough... but you will have to repeat back to her what she's trying to say 'correctly' (without emotion, just 'oh, you mean you want the yellow octopus...') so she gets lots of reinforcement for how it really is.

I had a friend who was very disappointed that we hadn't made up a whole new language, so our kids thought red meant car and up meant food, etc... wacky sense of humour, that guy has!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I think I probably would have nodded and smiled at that 'properly' thing and done my own research. 

I suspect it's going that would be a disservice at this point... just keep in mind that it's important to enunciate clearly for kids to learn to speak clearly.

Later, you (or all of you) might like to take voice lessons... if you're interested in singing. :D

Quoting supermom2xlb:

She was assessed because at her 4 year well visit the pedi said he felt she didn't speak properly. So he sent her in for an assesement. I really don't like her going. The therapists seem nice enough but all they do is have her repeat words the whole time she's in there. I can do that at home. But I didn't want to feel like I was doing DD some type of disservice by not bringing her.

As far as the cute language goes...yeah, I know it probably wasn't our best idea. But she is our baby, probably the last, unless by some miracle I can convince SO that a fifth baby would be great....that's probably not gonna happen!I do tend to 'baby' her a lot.

I am going to try to work with her myself and see how it goes. I mostly just hate sending her some place she really doesn't want to go!

Quoting LindaClement:

Why was she assessed?

jen2150
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My son did not start talking until he was 4 years old.  I had friends that thought he had a bunch of disorders.  He was just on his own time table.  I got a book on speech therapy for kids and  just stared some of the  the same exercises with her. The books also helped me to understand my son's speech patterns a little more.  It gave me ideas on how to help him be less frustrated.   When my son was 5 he asked me to teach him to read.  It was also then that his speech really began to improve.  I would just get some books on speech and and do some exercises together.  You can pick and choose what things your child would enjoy.  It turns out he was just more on gifted side.  Einstein was a very late talker.  Some kids are on a different schedule.  My son is now 10 years old and loves to talk your ear off.  He still has trouble because he tries to talk too fast.  I just tell him to slow down and take his time and he does very well now. 

LizByers922
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Sorry in advance for any typos...I'm on mobile!
I've had two kids in speech therapy. Here are some things I've learned through the years:
1) its not your fault! Using cutesy words will not create a speech problem. If she is saying the cutesy words correctly there is not a *speech* issue..just a vocabulary issue that is easily corrected by starting to say the proper word.
2) If you know she is saying "nakey" but someone else wouldn't be able to recognize it because it sounds like (let's just say...) "datey" *that* is a speech issue ...you would also hear that d/n substitute on the front of other words like night-dight, not-dot, etc. And the k/t sub in the middle of other words like chocolate-chotolate.
3) correcting a speech problem is not always as easy as modeling. Many times there is an actual mouth mechanics failure. My son had to be taught to use his mouth properly. I was glad for us speech therapist because she had an hour a week to really work with him and then we practiced in between appts...instead of all our interactions becoming laced with speech corrections.
4) there may be more speech issues that need correcting than you realize at this point. However, speech therapists are all about early intervention BUT there are some sounds that kids don't even really have the ability to make until they are 7 years old (I think that is the age). Of course the speech therapist will never say that! If you were to wait until then many bod the issues would most likely work themselves out and the ones rhat didn't would he much easier to fix because a 7 year old is much more willing and able to focus and participate in therapy than a 4 year old. I can say this from personal experience. My son was 7 and my daughter was 4 when they each did speech therapy and the boy just got in and did it with out any pleading and prodding whereas the girl really struggled with the therapy work and with actually leaving me to go into her little class. In the two years since they did speech did has self corrected many issues and is open to me reminding her periodically by modeling the proper pronunciation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)