Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bedtimes..

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 200 Total Views

This is something we struggle with on a regular basis. I tried to not have bedtimes and it works out fine with my 9 year old. He just doesn't have it in him to stay up later than me. He has to be tucked in before he goes to sleep and if I'm asleep before him, who will tuck him in? He gets stressed by this. So no issue there. My 7 year old falls asleep on his own by 9 every night. The issue is my 4 year old....she would stay up all night if she could...But I can't stay up late. By the time 9 or 10 comes around I'm too tired to function. I need lots of sleep. She can't stay up alone because she could hurt herself. She goes out onto our balcony every chance she gets. She digs in the kitchen, she climbs on things. And this all is not an issue with supervision. What do I do? I hate putting her to bed if she's not tired. But how do I compromise if I get tired before she does?

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Ah, parenting... if there were easy answers, it would be called Grade 1 Math.

There are lots of things you could be doing, and some of them might work --who knows, kids are weird. Different things work for different kids.

~ caffeine has a contrary effect on many children, making them fall asleep faster rather than keeping them up (hence the cocoa habit all across Europe)

~ napping during the day, strangely --somehow, being less over-tired at the end of the day aids sleep for many people

~ more time outside during the day, every day, particularly time in nature --forests, seashores, at the lake, in big fields

~ hot milk, a warm bath and a cool room (make sure your house is cooler in the night than in the day) with snuggly covers

~ can you lie down with her for 45 minutes or an hour, when you see that she's first getting sleepy... sing her repetitive songs, read her familiar stories, tell her familiar stories from memory in a room lit only by the light from the hall --often what keeps little kids from falling asleep is anxiety about the dark and the aloneness and the night and monsters and everything (if you have any sense of urgency to get up and leave, your body's tension will keep her awake)

~ some parents find that their kids will happily stay in their rooms if they're allowed to keep the light on doing quiet things like reading... they may also find the kids asleep on the floor, in the toybox or closet, under the bed... 

~ a night walk, or late visit to the local pool, can often relax active kids... even a routine of playing outdoors after dinner (dark or light --with supervision) can wipe them out faster than anything they can do inside

~ some kids simply need a lot less sleep than they're 'supposed' to --can you nap earlier in the day so you can stay up with her?

supermom2xlb
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I think you are awesome. I am going to try some of these...

I am not sure how caffiene would affect her because to my knowledge, she has never had it.

She usually gets tired around 5 or 6 but we try to keep her awake until at least 730...but that's when she gets her 'second wind' and keeps on going...we have tried naps but she isn't a big fan.

We will most def be going outside more now that the weather is getting cooler. Living in South Mississippi..yeah, it's pretty hot!

Right now she is very tired so I asked her if she would like to lie on the sofa and watch a movie. I am hoping she falls asleep so she won't be so cranky! We took a trip out of town this morning to a park and for icecream. It wore her out!

After her rest time, I'm going to take her back outside for a while. After that we will try the hot bath, warn milk, snuggle with mommy time. I'll let you know how it goes!

As far as me taking a nap during the day...Is that possible?? LOL

I babysit 3 little girls. I won't be doing it after next week though. It's just too much for me. I also go to school full time from home. That keeps me pretty busy.

Quoting LindaClement:

Ah, parenting... if there were easy answers, it would be called Grade 1 Math.

There are lots of things you could be doing, and some of them might work --who knows, kids are weird. Different things work for different kids.

~ caffeine has a contrary effect on many children, making them fall asleep faster rather than keeping them up (hence the cocoa habit all across Europe)

~ napping during the day, strangely --somehow, being less over-tired at the end of the day aids sleep for many people

~ more time outside during the day, every day, particularly time in nature --forests, seashores, at the lake, in big fields

~ hot milk, a warm bath and a cool room (make sure your house is cooler in the night than in the day) with snuggly covers

~ can you lie down with her for 45 minutes or an hour, when you see that she's first getting sleepy... sing her repetitive songs, read her familiar stories, tell her familiar stories from memory in a room lit only by the light from the hall --often what keeps little kids from falling asleep is anxiety about the dark and the aloneness and the night and monsters and everything (if you have any sense of urgency to get up and leave, your body's tension will keep her awake)

~ some parents find that their kids will happily stay in their rooms if they're allowed to keep the light on doing quiet things like reading... they may also find the kids asleep on the floor, in the toybox or closet, under the bed... 

~ a night walk, or late visit to the local pool, can often relax active kids... even a routine of playing outdoors after dinner (dark or light --with supervision) can wipe them out faster than anything they can do inside

~ some kids simply need a lot less sleep than they're 'supposed' to --can you nap earlier in the day so you can stay up with her?

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM

If you went down for a nap at the same time your munchkin did (around 5 or 6) you'd find you have enough energy to deal with her 'up' until she was tired again... especially if you set an alarm for 40 or 45 minutes --about the length of a single sleep cycle, rather than letting her sleep for 4 or 5 hours, and to be awaken at OMG o'clock. 

:D

Crockpots are your friend here... if dinner was 'ready to eat' because you'd made it earlier, you could eat before the sleeping, or get up for dinner at 7, wash up and be out of the house again for a while by 7:45 or 8 for 40 or 90  minutes of big muscle activity... then come home for the long wind-down.

While it's easy to get kids into what looks like sleep paralysis (they can't move their bodies) watching screens, it's very stimulating for their brains --the flicker, which we don't really notice consciously, keeps alerting our brains that there is movement to pay attention to --plus all the stuff that's actually happening on the screen. Kids might fall asleep to it, but it's not typically a very restful sleep.

It does seem like the babysitting is using up more energy than you have...

Quoting supermom2xlb:

I am not sure how caffiene would affect her because to my knowledge, she has never had it.

She usually gets tired around 5 or 6 but we try to keep her awake until at least 730...but that's when she gets her 'second wind' and keeps on going...we have tried naps but she isn't a big fan.

We will most def be going outside more now that the weather is getting cooler. Living in South Mississippi..yeah, it's pretty hot!

Right now she is very tired so I asked her if she would like to lie on the sofa and watch a movie. I am hoping she falls asleep so she won't be so cranky! We took a trip out of town this morning to a park and for icecream. It wore her out!

After her rest time, I'm going to take her back outside for a while. After that we will try the hot bath, warn milk, snuggle with mommy time. I'll let you know how it goes!

I babysit 3 little girls. I won't be doing it after next week though. It's just too much for me. I also go to school full time from home. That keeps me pretty busy.

supermom2xlb
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Once I stop babysitting, I am going to try the napping thing. I will still have one of the little girls but only for 2 hours, four days a week. So I don't think that will be any trouble.

As far as the crock pot thing, I do once a week cooking so Shelia (my crock pot's name...yes, I use her THAT much lol) is my best friend!

We have a pool at our apartment complex. Again, once I stop sitting, we will start going to the pool daily.

Quoting LindaClement:

If you went down for a nap at the same time your munchkin did (around 5 or 6) you'd find you have enough energy to deal with her 'up' until she was tired again... especially if you set an alarm for 40 or 45 minutes --about the length of a single sleep cycle, rather than letting her sleep for 4 or 5 hours, and to be awaken at OMG o'clock. 

:D

Crockpots are your friend here... if dinner was 'ready to eat' because you'd made it earlier, you could eat before the sleeping, or get up for dinner at 7, wash up and be out of the house again for a while by 7:45 or 8 for 40 or 90  minutes of big muscle activity... then come home for the long wind-down.

While it's easy to get kids into what looks like sleep paralysis (they can't move their bodies) watching screens, it's very stimulating for their brains --the flicker, which we don't really notice consciously, keeps alerting our brains that there is movement to pay attention to --plus all the stuff that's actually happening on the screen. Kids might fall asleep to it, but it's not typically a very restful sleep.

It does seem like the babysitting is using up more energy than you have...

Quoting supermom2xlb:

supermom2xlb
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Last night was a success. For her. She didn't take a nap yesterday although we did lie down and read books for a while. She wanted to read to me. SHe can't read but she opens the book and makes up these wild, crazy, awesome stories. I dozed off and she tucked me in and snuck out of the room..So I had to get up :( We went for a late afternoon walk, even Jeff came along so it was a family thing. Really nice. She didn't like the beans I made for dinner so she had a sandwich about 5 and an early bath. Then we made bread. After that I read her 6 stories, Xander (my 9 year old) read her some,(which I thought was very sweet) and then Jeff read to her until she fell asleep. It was very nice to have their help. Of course, it didn't help my sleep issues since I was up late getting Spanish papers done that were due by midnight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)