Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it possible for unschoolers to bite off more than they can chew...Update!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 205 Total Views

This year I may be doing 3 co-ops per week.  I just trying to figure out if it is too much for us but mostly me.  The co-ops would be on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

The one on Monday is more family run.  The kids pick the subjects. The moms volunteer to teach them.  It is a small group.  It looks like a few families are dropping out because they need to do more "school" at home.  I really love this group because so many kids have asked to learn about studying Physics and other science classes after classes I have taught.  I don't know how it happened but I kind of become the "science teacher".  The funny thing is  I hated science in school but now I love it.  

Our co-op on Tuesday is more traditional.  My sons love the classes.  My oldest is taking PE, Art, Science, and computer programming.  My youngest is taking the same classes except the last class.  He decided he wanted to take Chess.  He told me once he learns how to play he is going to teach me.  I can't wait.  My kids have homework for the science class but they love science so much they really enjoy it.  

Our co-op on Thursday is done at a camp.  They offer homeschool classes on Thursdays.  Their classes are based on hands on activities.  They will be learning about gardening and kitchen chemistry by making pizzas over an open fire.  Another class they will be learning about the water shed by digging in the creek and while canoeing.  I know they will love all the classes.

I am just wondering if it is too much for me.  I will be organizing the first co-op.  That is the one that concerns me.  I really enjoy our "lazy" days at home.  Where we don't have to be anywhere by a certain time.  My boys love all these co-op and they love going places.  I  will still have two day at home to relax, one is cleaning day, one day is a day of complete rest.  We are religious but worship at home so our rest day is very laid back.  

We also do karate 4 times per week.  

I am a quasi unschooler so I like to use a lot of different things.  I am really laid back and I really hate it when I feel over stressed.  I know my sons would want to do it all.  I am dong the co-ops on Tuesday and Thursday I am just having trouble deciding on the first one.  It will involve a lot more time from me.  I usually like to follow their interests and wants.  I know they will want to do them all.  Do you ever worry about doing too many things and not having enough days at home?  I am also wondering if I should just do all our activities and just do our days at home as relaxed as I can.  I usually find myself agreeing with the opinions of unschoolers the most so that is why I am posting here.  Thanks for any insight that you can give me.  

Update:

It has been a few weeks and everything is going very well.  We are busy but we are enjoying everything that we are doing.  My sons love their new classes they are taking.  I have managed to have my at home days.  My karate instructor has invited me to join the team sparring class.  It is invitation only so I couldn't say no.  Well I could but I really love sparring.    I felt very honored to be asked since I have been working so hard.  It means I will be adding more classes to my schedule.  Thanks everyone for all your advice.  I guess I was just concerned I was taking on too much.  My oldest is taking computer science and really loves it.  My youngest is taking Chess and has been having a great time "teaching" me to play Chess.  Have a great week

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM

This is weird... weren't there a lot of replies to this?

jen2150
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Yes, quite a few.  That is very weird.  What happened?

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Sep. 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I have no idea??

Quoting jen2150:

Yes, quite a few.  That is very weird.  What happened?

peacelovingmom
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM

When our schedule gets crazy I get stressed too. Yes I think we unschoolers can bite off more than we can chew.

faeriemom1972
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I've only got the one and he's only 6. I really haven't bitten off anything yet.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the update! It's good to hear you're enjoying yourself and it's working out well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN