Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Educational Places and Activities

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 218 Total Views

Hey Ladies, 

I have a question for you all. I have read all these unschool books and talked to a few ladies personally who unschool, and they always have this big list of places that they go with their kids and all these great experiences that they offer! We are just starting out, DD is 4, so she is just getting old enough to really enjoy these sorts of activities, and I was just looking for some ideas. We do a lot of seasonal activities already like pumpkin patch and apple festival. I have looked into going to our local nature center and museums. (We Love museums.) Local parks. And when DD shows an interest in something, we make sure to try and find somewhere for her to go, like the butterfly garden when she was learning about butterflies...Any ideas? Maybe sites I can go to that have a list of "educational gold mines" in my area. I live near Chattanooga, TN. 

Thanks! 

I am an all natural, attachment parenting, co-bathing, co-sleeping, kiss on the lips, unschooling, lead by example, know my place as a woman, go to church, get involved, stay at home kind of Mom. I am married to my highschool sweetheart, have one Super Cool Preschooler and one Little Angel In Heaven. Her name is Lucy.

http://immahomeschoolingmama.blogspot.com/

http://brittanyhomemaker.blogspot.com/

http://lovemylifeasamommyandawife.blogspot.com/

ttckissing

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
faeriemom1972
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

This Saturday my son and I are going to Bug day at the Burke museum which is at the University of Washington. We have been looking forward to it for a month and Thurs and Fri we will be doing some bug related activities at home. We also have memberships to the Pacific Science center, the aquarium, and the zoo. 

I bought this great book a while ago called 101 things you gotta do before you're 12! Some of the things are just fun silly things that you can do anywhere. I have a lot of books full of ideas, because on my own, I'm not terribly creative. I'm great at following direction though and my son is creative so I just stumble along behind him for the most part :)

jen2150
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I used to go to school near Chattanooga.  Lots of good places to visit.  I remember going to Lookout Mountain.  One of my favorite things to do in college was our caving trips.  I would talk to your local museums a lot of time they have excellent ideas for things to do.  I also loved Ruby Falls as well.  I don't remember what other things were around.  I remember going somewhere where we could look out at 6 different states.  I can't remember the place though.  Our museum here has a passport program where we get admittance to other museums in different states.  I would ask if any of the museums have any such programs.  Good luck on your search.

MommyMays
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I believe you are thinking of Rock City? 

Oh. I have never heard of that, with the museum admittance. I hope we can find something like that, because it isn't worth it to us, a family of 3 to pay for a season pass for one place. 

Quoting jen2150:

I used to go to school near Chattanooga.  Lots of good places to visit.  I remember going to Lookout Mountain.  One of my favorite things to do in college was our caving trips.  I would talk to your local museums a lot of time they have excellent ideas for things to do.  I also loved Ruby Falls as well.  I don't remember what other things were around.  I remember going somewhere where we could look out at 6 different states.  I can't remember the place though.  Our museum here has a passport program where we get admittance to other museums in different states.  I would ask if any of the museums have any such programs.  Good luck on your search.

faeriemom1972
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Some of our museums here have a reciprocal program if you pay a little extra for the annual membership. I think it's basically the passport thing. It's wonderful! It even works for things within our state. 

Quoting jen2150:

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM

It sounds like you already have a longer list than you realize...

We used to spend time every week with my grandmother (she died at 91, when my kids were in their early teens) ... sometimes with her friends, too.

We used to go to the library once a week.

We had a few playgrounds near our house.

We had museum passes, and often went to the free days at the art gallery. We also spent a day or two a month downtown --poking around in shops and galleries, and watching the outdoor shows (concerts, buskers, some of the Fringe stuff, markets, fairs), and the parks (a petting zoo, a putting green, cricket pitch, soccer fields, baseball, field hockey, rugby, lawn bowling --all the amatuer sports love a couple of free and unknown fans!)

Take a look at the local classified and 'free' papers for Things to Do. There's always a listing of who's got a festival, which cultural fair is happening, where the outdoor concerts are being held... free evening movies, fireworks, art shows, tournaments, train or rock hobbyiest shows, poetry slams, etc. Go to some of all of them --if they're terrible when you get there, you haven't lost anything. Who knows, you might find some fun new interest in life!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM

It would be worth it if you used the pass three times a month...

Quoting MommyMays:

Oh. I have never heard of that, with the museum admittance. I hope we can find something like that, because it isn't worth it to us, a family of 3 to pay for a season pass for one place. 

Quoting jen2150:

faeriemom1972
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:40 PM

If we use our woodland park zoo membership only 2 times, it pays for itself. For my dh, ds, and I it would be almost $50 each visit! An annual membership is only $95. It's about the same for the science center as well, plus we get into OMSI for free. We do day trips to Portland often enough that it's a nice perk.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting MommyMays:

Quoting jen2150:

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM

For us, the museum entrance was about 60% of the price of the annual membership.

Quoting faeriemom1972:

If we use our woodland park zoo membership only 2 times, it pays for itself. For my dh, ds, and I it would be almost $50 each visit! An annual membership is only $95. It's about the same for the science center as well, plus we get into OMSI for free. We do day trips to Portland often enough that it's a nice perk.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting MommyMays:

Quoting jen2150:

jen2150
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

One thing I wanted to add was joining local homeschool groups on yahoo.  A lot of homeschool moms will post links special events, museums, and in our area a lot of places have special homeschool days.  We love those days!  I remember once we went to Montpellier for free because of James Madison's birthday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)