Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what lead you to unschool?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 169 Total Views

i go back and forth with myself all the time about if i should mainstream school my kids or if i should keep them home.  i hate how public school forces children to fit into a narrow little box.  i want my children to feel FREE to learn, not to be FORCED to learn.

i can see already that while my oldest will enjoy the social aspect of school he has traits that have me doubt if it will be a good fit.  he is crazy smart, never sits still, is interested in things way beyond his age and is so independant his speech is actually delayed slightly because he NEVER asks for anything...he just does it himself.  idk i see him struggling to conform to a school structure.  i see him getting bored easily.  i see him pushing back when pushed to do things he doesnt want to do.

he is two and already knows how to push the choke, put the key in the ignition, turn it and adjust the throttle to both the atv and the logsplitter.  he LOVES tools and walks around the house with his dads screwdriver and tried to unscrew anything he can get his hands on.  i have to keep him inside when my husband is doing things like changing the hydrolic fuel on a piece of machinery because they kid wont keep his hands to himself and is dad's little helper (which sometimes is not much of a help lol!)....it doesnt matter what it is he wants to know why something works the way it does and wont give up until he figures it out.  i see this being such an issue for him in school because he will get frustrated at the timeframes if he wants to continue doing something he finds interesting and will not want to switch over to something else.  i can honestly see this kid being a deisel mechanic by the time he is 14 if he was left to himself!

i was sort of like him in school and they tried to beat my spirit until i gave in....by 14 i quit going.  i moved out by 15, got my cna certificate then i went on to school to become a massage therapist, opened my own business and after that ran a chiropractic office for 7 years.  i KNOW  that my kids can succeed even if they dont have the "formal" education of public school because i myself did very well without a formal high school education.

but i am scared of not being "enough" for him.  were you ever afraid of making the leap?  if so how did you handle it?  did it get easier once you decided to unschool?  are your children happy?  are YOU happy?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
dedicatedrider
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I are homeschool graduates, we always knew we would homeschool.  I discovered the concept of Unschooling when my oldest was a baby, and LOVED it.  My boys are all still young, and not even the compulsary age for our state, but I see SO much learning already going on, it always amazes me.

Here are some links that may help ease your mind in regards to the merits of unschooling-

tansyflower
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

we have an awesome free k-12 public school curriculum in our state...and from what my mom told me the kids in it can take all the extra curriculars they want.  wisconsin is VERY homeschooling friendly in general and there are three homeschool associations really close by.  i love the idea of unschooling/homeschooling (probably a little bit of both) and starting a family business where the kids could take an active role.  i know that it could work, bu for some reason i still get scared...like low self esteem?

i dont want them to be put at a disadvantage because i am not a good enough teacher.  but then i think about public school and it makes me feel even worse :(

Quoting dedicatedrider:

My husband and I are homeschool graduates, we always knew we would homeschool.  I discovered the concept of Unschooling when my oldest was a baby, and LOVED it.  My boys are all still young, and not even the compulsary age for our state, but I see SO much learning already going on, it always amazes me.

Here are some links that may help ease your mind in regards to the merits of unschooling-

faeriemom1972
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband actually saw a news report about unschooling when ds was still quite young. He was sold immediately, but I was sceptical. Which is weird because until I was 13 I was in school from Sept-Dec and then my mom and I would leave the country to travel from Jan-May. Anyway, after doing my own research, I fell in love with the concept. My son is only 6, but he's pretty happy with the whole situation :)

jen2150
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I am a quasi unschooler and I was lead here by my children.  I started off traditional and I found that I was bored as much as they were.  It has been a slow progression which was lead by my goals set for my children.  No matter what I wanted to make them life long learners.  Encouraging curiosity, imagination and a love for learning was really my only goal for them.  Unschooling works so well with these goals.  My sons have many teachers other than myself.  I sign them up for classes of things they love.  There is no teacher more qualified than a parent.  Who know them better than we do?  I always make sure I email their other teachers and tell them things about my sons.  This year my son is taking a class in computer science.  His teacher was amazed at his Math skills.  My son loves math and I have always encouraged him to play with math. 

I hated Math and Science in school.  It was so boring to me.  Unschooling has not only helped my children but has helped me as well.  We are on this journey together.  I read books on Science all the time.  Currently I am reading a book on the story of electrcity and E=MC2.  I am also reading a book on mental math.  It is an awesome book.  Mental Math is actually an awesome way to learn about Math.  

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM

It's hard to believe any child in an environment as rich as your son's would ever be 'lacking'... 

I found myself nervous from time to time, but always noticed that it was about other people (or me) ... not my kids. Even a cursory glance proved that my kids were totally fine. My worry lived in a dark, dungeon dimension of fantasy, not my kids' lives.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM

If you want to excel at 'teaching' your kids (or anyone else) it would be best if you first pursued things you are personally interested in. No excellent teacher ever 'taught' crap they didn't care about.

Beyond that: I might suggest that you read the curriculum for your state before you feel that the 'free k-12' is 'great.' What is 'great' compared to other curricula is one thing, but it's not really possible for any to be anything but rampant mediocrity, ruled by dullness and oversimplified (with jargon to make it hard for non-professionals to understand!) to the point that even developmentally-delayed children can manage a grade or two ahead in most subjects.

Quoting tansyflower:

we have an awesome free k-12 public school curriculum in our state...and from what my mom told me the kids in it can take all the extra curriculars they want.  wisconsin is VERY homeschooling friendly in general and there are three homeschool associations really close by.  i love the idea of unschooling/homeschooling (probably a little bit of both) and starting a family business where the kids could take an active role.  i know that it could work, bu for some reason i still get scared...like low self esteem?

i dont want them to be put at a disadvantage because i am not a good enough teacher.  but then i think about public school and it makes me feel even worse :(

Quoting dedicatedrider:

tansyflower
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM
I should rephrase the use of the word great....i think its a step in the right direction to offer a curriculum to parents who are looking for a different alternative to public school that doesnt cost a fortune. I know a lot of lower income families struggle with the ability to afford private extra curricular activities and curriculums for their children. In that respect i do think its great to have that available.

Do i think it is perfect? No, the very definition of a curriculum has that one size fits all concept that we both can agree CANT work for every child and still foster the type of freestyle, passionate learning that unschooling offers. But there is an element of exposing a child to a wide range of subject matter that a curriculum can offer, and i personally feel that can be beneficial to a certain degree.

Regardless of if i choose public school, an online curriculum, unschoolong or a combination i will try and see what works best for my children...and i will continue to give my kids as many educational options as i possibly can. bottom line, i want them to love learning!

Quoting LindaClement:

If you want to excel at 'teaching' your kids (or anyone else) it would be best if you first pursued things you are personally interested in. No excellent teacher ever 'taught' crap they didn't care about.

Beyond that: I might suggest that you read the curriculum for your state before you feel that the 'free k-12' is 'great.' What is 'great' compared to other curricula is one thing, but it's not really possible for any to be anything but rampant mediocrity, ruled by dullness and oversimplified (with jargon to make it hard for non-professionals to understand!) to the point that even developmentally-delayed children can manage a grade or two ahead in most subjects.

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting dedicatedrider:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Well said!

Quoting tansyflower:

I should rephrase the use of the word great....i think its a step in the right direction to offer a curriculum to parents who are looking for a different alternative to public school that doesnt cost a fortune. I know a lot of lower income families struggle with the ability to afford private extra curricular activities and curriculums for their children. In that respect i do think its great to have that available.

Do i think it is perfect? No, the very definition of a curriculum has that one size fits all concept that we both can agree CANT work for every child and still foster the type of freestyle, passionate learning that unschooling offers. But there is an element of exposing a child to a wide range of subject matter that a curriculum can offer, and i personally feel that can be beneficial to a certain degree.

Regardless of if i choose public school, an online curriculum, unschoolong or a combination i will try and see what works best for my children...and i will continue to give my kids as many educational options as i possibly can. bottom line, i want them to love learning!

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting dedicatedrider:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)