Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

politics

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 177 Total Views

for those with chidren 18+ are your children interested in the presidential debates or voting or any other political stuff? Where do they get their info? (any great websites?)

just ftr, i do not my dd is 1 she doesn't care at all lol. but i was curious how some unschoolers go about seeking out this knowledge.

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
faeriemom1972
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Lol! I think I might be horrified that much of my dd's political savvy comes from Tumblr :/ She's 21 btw. She would probably argue that but I know most of what she thinks she knows comes from the Internet. I keep trying to get her to watch the documentary 'Ethos', but she never has time. 

haleykj
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Lol! I think I might be horrified that much of my dd's political savvy comes from Tumblr :/ She's 21 btw. She would probably argue that but I know most of what she thinks she knows comes from the Internet. I keep trying to get her to watch the documentary 'Ethos', but she never has time. 

never heard of it. but i love watching documentaries i will check it out :)

haleykj
by Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Quoting faeriemom1972:

so i hadn't heard of it so i went to check it out today...turns out i have seen it. i'm watching it again though but idk if i can make it through again they talk SOOO SLOWWWWWWWW it's driving me bananas!

Raintree
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, my older two boys have done an in-depth study into the candidates this year- all of them, not just the two major parties. They looked them up, read their issues pages and read the party platforms. I've got one kiddo solidly behind Barack Obama (because he doesn't want to vote third party) and another who likes Gary Johnson.

We have a rather contentious senate race going on here right now, and last week, one of the candidates came to the college my husband works for (and I attend in the evenings)- we went to hear him speak and to take part in the q/a afterward. The boys were able to meet him and talk to him quite a bit. He actually used to be our governor back in the late 80s-early 90s- and balanced our rather shakey budget at the time- before we added a balanced budget amendment to the state constitution. He was also one of our senators for a time- we're hoping he will be again, but it's going to be very close.

Anyway, they were very excited that he took time to talk to them- I think they thought he'd spend a lot of time talking to the older folks and college students there, rather than speaking to them. Gave them all a little boost.

They asked me on Tuesday (which is the day we go to town for piano lessons and groceries) to take them to party headquarters in Lincoln. So we did that. The democrats office was quite busy and they were able to talk to one guy there and ask him some questions. The republican office was very empty, only one young lady was there eating a salad and talking to someone on the phone, so we weren't able to ask the questions we wanted to while we were there. We'll probably try again next week.

jessradtke
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My son isn't old enough to vote (he's almost 16), but he sure wishes he could! He's become very interested in politics and government this year. We watch all of the televised debates (presidential, state, and local) together and discuss them as a family. My husband is moderately conservative, I'm much more liberal, so we have some intersting conversations. LOL My son and I follow fact checking organizations on facebook together. He also really enjoyed taking political quizzes like http://www.politicalcompass.org/ and http://www.isidewith.com/ . But honestly, I think he learns the most through parody videos and cartoons. They allow him to explore focus issues in a less serious manner, while bringing up lots of questions, which he then explores through google searches. 

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Oct. 28, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Neither of my kids pays much attention to politics. They vote when they're able to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)