Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a change in direction

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 107 Total Views
For the past 7 months I've worked at an in home daycare (my two kids, 4&6 come with me). It worked out well at first, but then my boss started scheduling me 10-15 hours more a week, and paying me $2.50 less an hour. I've searched got something else for months, but my options are limited. Being a single mom, plus having my kids home with me all the time adds it's challenges. I finally decided to quit my job, despite not having another "job" lined up. For now, I'm using my creative talents to make goods to sell. I'm going to sell purses and other handmade accessories on etsy. I'm also talking to a local produce shop about the possibility of selling/advertising my cupcakes there. I'm also in a band (tho it's less serious and more for fun) so I've got a pretty decent network of people to branch out to. Hopefully this is enough to make ends meet! I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where I can take that risk and not have to worry about keeping a roof over our heads, or food on the table.

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to having more quality time to spend with my kids, where they don't have to compete with 14 other kids for my attention or follow hoard's strict schedule!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
faeriemom1972
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Sounds very positive :) My dd and I are purse freaks, pm me when you have a shop on etsy!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Well, that's a real change!

I really like the idea of 'many streams of income' --as you describe. It can offer so many more opportunities to do interesting (and lucrative) things than 'a job' can...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)