Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have some exciting news!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 328 Total Views
1 mom liked this

My 10 year had just  started taking computer science this year.  It is going so well for him.  He loves it and can't wait to do his homework each week.  His teacher has been so impressed with his Math abilities.  They were figuring out degrees and she was surprised that he always knew the right  degrees to use.  He has an ability to take math he has never come across and just figure it out by thinking mathematically.  I remember giving him protractors to just play with.  He loves playing with Math and always have.  Yesterday she comes to me and tells how well he is doing.  She said he just gets it.  Her words and not mine.  She also wanted to know if he wanted to be a teacher's aide next year.  She said it will be a lot of hard work.  He would be helping students untangle their computer code and other things.  He is very excited at the prospect.  I just wanted to share our good news.  Sometimes I remember worrying if we are doing enough and it is times like these that I know we are doing what is best for our children.  

My youngest son is doing really well as well.  He is turning 9 next month.  He has been taking Chess and really loves it.  He begged me to buy him a chess set for his birthday.  He knows how to maneavor all the pieces now.  He also is looking for ward to teaching me how to play.  I have to admit I have always wanted to learn but the written directions have always confused me.  

Please feel free to share any great things that are happening in your family.  

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faeriemom1972
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

That's great :) Uh, my 6 year old drew me a picture of what he though his id would look like if it had corporeal form. That was pretty cool.

jen2150
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Sounds like something my sons would do.  It does sound like a very cool picture.  

Quoting faeriemom1972:

That's great :) Uh, my 6 year old drew me a picture of what he though his id would look like if it had corporeal form. That was pretty cool.

TinasTribe
by New Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM
4 moms liked this

The cool thing of the week for me.... My 8 year old and I were watching TV and out of the blue he says too me, Mom did you know that 2, 3 times is 6... and I said umm yeah it is... I then asked him if he realized he just did multiplication... and he was beaming... he has never been formally instructed on the concept of mulitplication, it just happened.  :)

songbird2716
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM
My daughter just did that with ship counting the other day. She counted her fingers and toes by fives. It was so exciting and reassuring to see all the lightbulbs going off :)

Quoting TinasTribe:

The cool thing of the week for me.... My 8 year old and I were watching TV and out of the blue he says too me, Mom did you know that 2, 3 times is 6... and I said umm yeah it is... I then asked him if he realized he just did multiplication... and he was beaming... he has never been formally instructed on the concept of mulitplication, it just happened.  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I love it when that happens.  There is a book called Einstein never used flashcards that talks about the research that explain how children learn.  It talks about how kids brains develop mathematically.  Over 70% of kids free play involved Math in some form.  They brains are wired for play and their play is always educational.  You never know what they are going to pick up and where it is going to come from.  When my son was 8 he asked to learn about Chemistry because he saw H2O on his water bottle and it made him curious.  Math is meant to be learned by real world examples.  Children learn Math by using it, experiencing it and also by touching it.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

That is awesome!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

The tragedy, for kids in school taking 'math' lessons, is that they often learn to follow the instructions (the algorithms) without having the slightest idea at all what they mean... so we end up with a lot of kids with no ability at all to think math, they can only 'perform' it.

Quoting TinasTribe:

Mommyfish831
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I am not yet homeschooling.  I just needed to share this with someone.  It kind of fits in your post since you said sometimes you wonder if your not doing enough.

i have been doing the flip flop, I'm going to fail, this is going to be great.  You know.  Anyways yesterday I pick up my 6 year old (since she will be finishing out the school year) and we are driving home and she says we are going south and I was a little surprised.  Then start think oh great these are the thing idk how to teach my kids, I'm going to fail at this.  Then I ask her did you learn that at school today and she said no I saw it on daddies compass (meaning the one in his truck) and then she shows me east west and north and I am reassured that real life learning through emotional connections and bonds teach them so much more then school ever will.

Mommyfish831
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Ot memorization, like in my 6 year olds case.  They use Saxon math which teaches them to memorize 1+8 instead of figureing out how to find 1+8.  My kids will be homeschool after school ends this year.  

Quoting LindaClement:

The tragedy, for kids in school taking 'math' lessons, is that they often learn to follow the instructions (the algorithms) without having the slightest idea at all what they mean... so we end up with a lot of kids with no ability at all to think math, they can only 'perform' it.

Quoting TinasTribe:

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.

It reminds me of that tragic/hilarious joke about the kid who learns to dial 9-1-1 in an emergency, and then asks, 'what's a 9?'

Quoting Mommyfish831:

Ot memorization, like in my 6 year olds case.  They use Saxon math which teaches them to memorize 1+8 instead of figureing out how to find 1+8.  My kids will be homeschool after school ends this year.  

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting TinasTribe:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)