Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group and want to unschool

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 119 Total Views

Hello!  I have a 4th grader and a 7th grader I homeschool.  I started this year so i am very new at this..  I would like to unschool but am very nervous about it.  My law is so strict about homeschooling.  I live in NY.  They want quarterly reports and the middle school wants a curriculum.  Also I am supposed to have them take the standardized test.  I am worried that my kids will not do well on this test and the law will demand I put them back in school, something i do not want. So should I unschool?  Thanks for the advice.

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jen2150
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I suggest you find another homeschooler from NY that is familiar with the process.  Have you found any local homeschooling groups?  Try Yahoo groups and facebook.  I am sure there are some unschoolers in your area.  As far as curriculum goes, you can always just do your own or even find curriculum your guys enjoy.  I just started my sons on the life of fred and teaching textbooks.  They love them.  My youngest does extra lessons because he loves them so much.  My sons take the test and it is not really a big deal.  My son was doing the Math section and he started just playing with Math on his scrap paper so that is what he did for the rest of the afternoon.  He just finished the test the next day.  I just get the test and make there are no surprises.  My kids have pretty much just learned most of the material on their own.  I think you will be surprised how easy unschooling really is.  When I was doing a traditional approach learning was much harder.  I suggest you read some books on unschooling and just see how things go.  There is no set amount of unschooling that you have to do.  Just do whatever makes sense for your family.  Listen to your child and they will let you know when something is not working.  Your kids are older so I would just work with them and discuss your plan of action.  

jessradtke
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I have absolutely no experience with dealing with restrictive laws or with transitioning kids from schooling to unschooling, so I'm going to second jen's suggestion of finding other unschoolers in NY who have had to deal with similar circumstances. I will say that I believe you can unschool under just about any circumstances. If it's important enough to you, you find a way to make it work. Good luck!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Should? 

I think you can unschool, even in that environment. The trick, if you like to think it that way, is to collect a pile of stuff from around the kids and write a report about 'what they're going to be doing' based on what they did already, then at the end of the period hand over the 'proof' you already have, along with a report of 'what they did' :D

Between 4 months ago and today, your kids learned a lot. You can distort time a bit and pretend it's what they did over the coming four months...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN