Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Head is Spinning

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 160 Total Views

I have been a single mom for the past year and we have really enjoyed our time as a close knit threesome :-) Well, I am currently seeing someone who has two kids of his own (13 and 4). Things have progressed to the point that we are talking about moving in together and getting married. He had already planned on homeschooling his youngest but now his oldest is expressing that she'd like to be homeschooled as well. I couldn't be more excited about the idea of a houseful of self-guided learners! It is something that I have always envisioned for my family and I'm thrilled at the opportunity to realize that vision! But still....my head is spinning!

I'm not worried about the 4 year old- I've got that down. LOL. But the 13 year old is a bit intimidating. She's very bright and she's been in a public school that's less than awesome so she's never really had to apply herself. I have faith that after a period of deschooling she'll get into the swing of things. But I'm still a bit worried. I want to give her- all of our kiddos- an interesting, supportive, and encouraging atmosphere. Any tips of piquing the curiosity of wide age ranges? Any suggestions for young teen girls specifically? THIA!!! 

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jen2150
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My sons are 8 and 10 so we don't have very wide age ranges but I wanted to say congratulations.  What things is she interested in?  With my children many times I will sit down and discuss my ideas with him and then we will decide together what we want to do.  He always has plenty to add.  I try and keep access to all kinds of activities for them.  

songbird2716
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM

She's very much into the arts. She loves to play with her dad's drums and guitars. But one thing I've noticed is that she craves constant recognition. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that her mom is a bit self-absorbed. She's in no way a bad person, or a bad mom. But she was never the type to roll up her sleeves and really interact with Sky (she was also only 17 when Sky was born). And her father is an engineer on the patrol boats that maintain the oil rigs in the gulf so he's gone for weeks at a time (although he is very much a hands on dad). 

We will be moving in together around July. The tentative plan is that July and August (at least) we're not gonna do a darn thing but get used to life as a big family. At some point we'll sit down with her and talk about what types of things she'd like to pursue and learn about and have her make some goals for herself. Perhaps we'll help her develop an incentive type system for achieving those goals? 

On of the other obstacles is that as per their custody agreement, Sky is with her mom when her dad is at sea, so some form of "official" curriculum will be needed for her to follow at those times that would require little involvement from her mom. I've already suggested that Sky can spend time with the family while her dad is gone. We think her mom will be ok with that, so long as she's not with me so much that it would effect how much child support her mom receives. LOL. But we're looking into easy curriculum (I'm thinking we'll probably make our own) for Sky to do when she's with her mom just to keep her mind active.

This ended up being way longer than I expected. LOL. But yeah, it's a lot to process!!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think she'll need to 'apply herself' anymore at home than she doesn't at school.

In fact, she might be delighted to find out how simple and easy it is to learn without that environment...

Exciting, though!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)