Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brrr!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 177 Total Views
Tomorrow it is forecast to be in the single digits, so the kids and I are going to do some experiments. We're going to observe and compare the freezing speeds of cool water, boiling water, and salt water and see if we can get bubbles to freeze. This will be our first experience with grafts. We are all super excited (which suggests I'm a bigger science nerd than former Floridian because generally anything below 50° makes me cranky.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jen2150
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

It is warm here lately but it supposed to be dropping in temperature here very soon.  Have you thought about trying sugar water as well.  We read about maple trees and adding sugar water into the experiment it was a very cool experiment.  I grew up in MI and I don't care for anything under 50 either.  I have been getting more spoiled by the south each year.  We rarely get snow here in VA.  We are going snow tubing with some friends Wednesday and we can't wait.  

faeriemom1972
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

We had a frost last week, but other than that it hasn't been too cold. My son loves it when there is ice in the back yard that he can break apart. He pretends he's excavating, lol.

songbird2716
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM
We don't have the right ingredients to make strong enough bubbles that will last long enough to freeze. But the freezing water was fun, and throwing boiling water into the air to create a vapor cloud was a BLAST!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Oh, what fun!!

Ecoseem
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Looks like MY ds gets to learn about thawing pipes....

songbird2716
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Oh no!

Quoting Ecoseem:

Looks like MY ds gets to learn about thawing pipes....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinasTribe
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM

What ingredents do you need? We should do this tomorrow as well, it will be almost below freezing with windchills. And you just tossed boiling water into the air to get that cloud? 

songbird2716
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Any recipe for making extra strong bubbles works. Usually they include glycerin and dawn dish soap. And for the vapor cloud all you have to do is throw boiling water (be very careful!). The lower greater the temp difference between the air and the water, the better.

Quoting TinasTribe:

What ingredents do you need? We should do this tomorrow as well, it will be almost below freezing with windchills. And you just tossed boiling water into the air to get that cloud? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinasTribe
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Its going to be like -10 here tomorrow so that should work lol

Life is simple, We make it but we make it complicated. 

http://tinasblogok.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)