Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I an unschooler?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • 0 Replies
  • 102 Total Views

I found this article and found it quite interesting.  It is a question I have always asked myself.  I started very tradational and have learned so much along the way.  I have learned to relax a lot.  I do have some structure and I do also use some curriculum.  I enjoy following their interests so much.  I make suggestions and then they decide how they wish to proceed.  Lately for spelling my boys been picking 5 words they want to learn how to spell.  Once they have their list we write it on the white board and then they learn them whatever way they wish.  My youngest this week is going to write all his words using legos.  We use teaching textbooks for Math but not every day.  Some days they want to learn math on the computer.  Other days they rather read the life of fred.  Some days they want to play with math.  My son loves to grab his protractor and stencils and just play with angles and math problems.  His favorite is asking me the answers to large math problems.  Some I can answer and others require a little more work on my part.    My sons have just started his own blog.  He decided he wanted to write a 60 page book on the world of legos.  I consider myself a facilitator.  I make suggestions and they make suggestions as well.  I know if they don't want learn about something now there will always be a later.  I also find myself agree with unschoolers the most.  I cringe sometimes when I hear what some people force their children to do.  They then ask how I got my children to willingly read  books on science and history.  I read books on science and history myself and talk about what I am learning.  I get books and leave where they can find them.  The rest is up to them.  One notion that was really hard for me to give up was critical periods.  If they don't learn how to write well in 2nd and 3rd grade they will be doomed to be horrible writers later in life.  I have learned rather that if they don't learn to love the written word then they will most likely never learn to love it.  

http://patriciazaballos.com/2011/06/08/am-i-an-unschooler/

http://patriciazaballos.com/2012/05/31/how-do-kids-really-learn-to-write-2-0/

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN