Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

any good sites/tips for at home speech therapy?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 190 Total Views

my 2.5 year old has a slight speech delay.  i am just wondering is i should get him into speech therapy, or if i could do it myself at home.

he says mostly one word at a time.  so for instance instead of saying "i want milk" he just says "milk" and we always try to get him to repeat all the different parts of the sentences before giving him what it is he is asking for.  we keep sentences pretty simple for him.  slowly but surely he is moving on from one words and short phrases to short sentences.  we make sure to sound out words.  i also will take an object and shake it slightly back and forth in my hand as i say what it is because it is supposed to help them retain better.  we go through color books repeating colors, touch different body parts learning what they are (he now know eyes, ears, mouth, nose, head toes, gingers, foot ect) and we try to make sure we are reading to him and talking very directly at him on a daily basis.

he has made great strides in the past few months.  he wasnt talking at all by age two.  he is almost 2.5 years old so while his speech is still delayed for his age, it considerably better than it was.  my sister is a teacher and she says that one of the issues is that he is SO independent that he doesnt really have to ask for a lot of stuff because he just does it himself.  which is great in some aspects, but its probably one of the reasons why he is not talking as much as he should be.

according to his ped he is still behind.  she left it up to us if we want to pursue speech therapy of not since he is right on the edge.  when i am around another child his age it amazing me how much further behind my child is in comparison.

so does anyone have any experience with this or advise?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jen2150
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM

My son was the same way.  Actually he was worse.  In truth he wasn't behind he just had a different time table than everyone else.  Einstein was the same way.  I bought  a book on speech from Amazon of ways to help my son.  It really helped me to know how to help my son.  Never correct them.  It makes the problem worse.  Just repeat it correctly back.  Also talk out loud as much as you can.  As you are cooking or whatever.  Just think out loud so he can hear.  Keep reading a lot to him.  My son was almost 4 until he started speaking in 2 or 3 word sentences.  I also suggest starting to teach him some signs.  He is now 10 and never stops talking.   Sometimes I think he is making for lost time.  More than likely he just has a lot to say.  Don't compare your child to anyone.  My son was 4 until he stared speaking and 16 months until he started walking.  You can do speaking exercises but just make it fun and into a game.  Follow your instinct.  What is your gut telling you?

tansyflower
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM

my gut is telling me that he doesnt have an auditory dysfuntion (like how his brain percieves sounds or the ability to pronouce sounds) because his words for the most part that he does say are very clear when he does say them.  he also uses words in context and knows that certain groups of words belong to each other (like number, colors, animals ext).  that all gives me the impression that he is just a little bit slow but his continual gain makes me feel like he WILL get there.

the reason i am edging towards not getting him therapy is because i know that i am already doing a lot of the things that a speech therapist does.  i try to keep it fun and read lots of books.  i sound words out and enunciate.  i keep lots of sentences short so he can move from phrases (like thank you) to short sentences (like more food please). 

i try to do repetition within my own speech ("hoyt, would you like an orange?  is this the orange you want?  you may have an orange") so that he learns to associate the word with the object.  he has made such strides in the past 6 months that i feel like at this point i dont really want to push him into therapy if all he needs is a little extra time to learn it naturally on his own.  in fact just yesterday he counted to ten all the way through!

do you mind me asking what the name of the book is???

Quoting jen2150:

My son was the same way.  Actually he was worse.  In truth he wasn't behind he just had a different time table than everyone else.  Einstein was the same way.  I bought  a book on speech from Amazon of ways to help my son.  It really helped me to know how to help my son.  Never correct them.  It makes the problem worse.  Just repeat it correctly back.  Also talk out loud as much as you can.  As you are cooking or whatever.  Just think out loud so he can hear.  Keep reading a lot to him.  My son was almost 4 until he started speaking in 2 or 3 word sentences.  I also suggest starting to teach him some signs.  He is now 10 and never stops talking.   Sometimes I think he is making for lost time.  More than likely he just has a lot to say.  Don't compare your child to anyone.  My son was 4 until he stared speaking and 16 months until he started walking.  You can do speaking exercises but just make it fun and into a game.  Follow your instinct.  What is your gut telling you?

jen2150
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this is the book but I am not sure.  It was almost 7 years ago.  I mostly just helped me to relax.  Also I wanted to add I saw the greatest improvement when I started to teach him to read when he turned 5.  I am sure if it was just timing or learning the letter sound combinations helped him to be able to say the words.  Let me know if I can be any more help.

Quoting tansyflower:

my gut is telling me that he doesnt have an auditory dysfuntion (like how his brain percieves sounds or the ability to pronouce sounds) because his words for the most part that he does say are very clear when he does say them.  he also uses words in context and knows that certain groups of words belong to each other (like number, colors, animals ext).  that all gives me the impression that he is just a little bit slow but his continual gain makes me feel like he WILL get there.

the reason i am edging towards not getting him therapy is because i know that i am already doing a lot of the things that a speech therapist does.  i try to keep it fun and read lots of books.  i sound words out and enunciate.  i keep lots of sentences short so he can move from phrases (like thank you) to short sentences (like more food please). 

i try to do repetition within my own speech ("hoyt, would you like an orange?  is this the orange you want?  you may have an orange") so that he learns to associate the word with the object.  he has made such strides in the past 6 months that i feel like at this point i dont really want to push him into therapy if all he needs is a little extra time to learn it naturally on his own.  in fact just yesterday he counted to ten all the way through!

do you mind me asking what the name of the book is???

Quoting jen2150:

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I've watched the entire 'speech therapy' industry grow up in the glory of its own wonderfulness...

In my experience, the best thing for kids' speech aquisition is having people around them who speak clearly while facing them.

It's ordinary for boys to be behind girls in spoken language --they tend to be miles ahead on big-motor skills. 

Pathologizing the range of normal has made a lot of people a LOT of money, without doing anything but reassuring a lot of people that they're abnormal. Not a great idea, imo.

jen2150
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree.  My whole family was convinced he had speech delays, autism and even ADD.  I am so glad I didn't listen to them.  He is 10 now and talks non stop.  He is my most outspoken child.  He has so much to share.  I think  like a lot of the probems are over diagnosed.  Our child has to be at just the right spot on the chart.  

Quoting LindaClement:

I've watched the entire 'speech therapy' industry grow up in the glory of its own wonderfulness...

In my experience, the best thing for kids' speech aquisition is having people around them who speak clearly while facing them.

It's ordinary for boys to be behind girls in spoken language --they tend to be miles ahead on big-motor skills. 

Pathologizing the range of normal has made a lot of people a LOT of money, without doing anything but reassuring a lot of people that they're abnormal. Not a great idea, imo.

tansyflower
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

thanks for the reinforcment.  everyone keeps telling me how behind he is, and yet the kid knows where to get the key, how to insert it, turn it on, use the throttle/brakes and can fully operate a 4 wheeler because he is SO SMART.  and the logsplitter.  and his dad's chainsaw.  actually that boy has a death wish and i have to keep a hawk's eye on him if i ever want him to live to see his 3rd birthday lol!

so in some ways he is very far ahead for his age.  he just cant speak in sentences.

NANA9259
by New Member on May. 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

As a Mom of 2 and Nana to 3 who has been there. Let him develop at his own pace. My oldest ad a hearing problem that was undiagnosed for 6 years, even while I told them there was a problem. Listen to your instincts, don't let family pressure you both into being stressed out. Don't allow anyone to talk about how far behind he is in front of him. He may not talk but, he understands enough to sense they say something is wrong. Keep doing what you are doing, he will be talking before you know it. My Mother used to say "You spend the first 2 years of a child's life, teaching them to walk and talk and the next 20 telling them to sit down and shut up."

Nana259

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)