Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Letter of intent

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 184 Total Views

We live in Wyoming, I need to send in a letter of intent and include the curriculum we will use.  When you submitted your letter or form to you state did you have to provide you curriculum?  If so, what did it say or look like?  I am not sure how to show and unschool curriculum.  Thank you.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jen2150
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I use some curriculum but for some subjects I do my own.  All according to their interests.    I would write down books you are using or one's curriculum you are designing.  What you write down really depends on what type of unschooler you are.    I know some people just write down they are following the SOL's in each subject.  I would send it in and if it is not specific enough then they will just ask for more info.  If they are into a certain subjects maybe write down a estimate unit study on that subject.   I would just estimate what you might do and go from there.  It doesn't have to be exact.  

I simply listed some books we will be using and stated we will be following SOL for their grade level.  Once they sent it back and said they needed more info.  I added in some new info and mostly added we would be following the SOL in our curriculum.  To be honest it was kind of funny because I really needed to was add 3 letters that stood for something they understood.  

Mommyfish831
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Thank you.  I have some math and reading work books, for my oldest who is the only one I really need to list since the compulsory age for school in my state is 7.  I will site the plentarium, library, and museums around my area.  Hopefully that will be ok with them.  

Quoting jen2150:

I use some curriculum but for some subjects I do my own.  All according to their interests.    I would write down books you are using or one's curriculum you are designing.  What you write down really depends on what type of unschooler you are.    I know some people just write down they are following the SOL's in each subject.  I would send it in and if it is not specific enough then they will just ask for more info.  If they are into a certain subjects maybe write down a estimate unit study on that subject.   I would just estimate what you might do and go from there.  It doesn't have to be exact.  

I simply listed some books we will be using and stated we will be following SOL for their grade level.  Once they sent it back and said they needed more info.  I added in some new info and mostly added we would be following the SOL in our curriculum.  To be honest it was kind of funny because I really needed to was add 3 letters that stood for something they understood.  

faeriemom1972
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know, the compulsory age for school in my state is 8 and my son is only going on 7. I guess I'll find out next year!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Because I'm a devious person, with an extremely jaundiced view of this kind of bureaucratic 'oversight', I generally recommend the following:

Gather up a pile of stuff your kids have done over the past few months. Put them into categories and make a list of the kinds of 'education' they fit into... then describe what they are (art projects, notes taken, journals of outings, reflections on documentaries or movies or books or computer games...) and then take all that information and invert it:

Use the list and activities as the upcoming curriculum, then supply the materials as 'evidence' (if you need to) of the learning at the end of the term or year... 

Then, this coming year, gather up what they're doing and use it to do the same for next year... 

wink

Jortess
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

unschooling is child-led no curriculum required.

Sounds to me like your state doesn't offer this. What they are asking for is homeschool w/curriculum.

Unschoolers register as a private school or umbrella school.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN