Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How is everything going? Share away!

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 256 Total Views

I haven't from everyone here in awhile and I thought I would just check in.  Any plans going on?   

I am currently working hard on a co-op class I will teaching soon.  I do have one problem my son keeps reading all my books ahead of time.  He simply can't help himself.  I am also currently reading George Washington's socks to my boys.  They love it. It is a very cute book.  We are also getting ready for spring.  My youngest wants to start studying botany soon.  We are getting spring fever already.  This summer I am planning a month long road trip from VA to Montana.  It is going to be quite an adventure.  We are doing a US study so it will be a lot of fun seeing some of the states we have been reading about.  I also have another problem.  My son keeps beating me at Chess.  He is teaching me how to play and he is so much better than me.  It is very humbling being beaten by a 9 year old.  I did win once but it was only because my husband was helping me.  Yesterday we played a geography game together for the first time.   My son thought it wasn't going to be fun but he changed his mind.  I have to admit we did change the rules a little bit to make it last longer. We had a great time.  

Currently, I am reading Common Sense by Thomas Paine.  It was kind of boring until I got to the parts he wrote.  I had to skip 70 pages and get past all the boring forewards by everyone else.  He really had some strong opinons.  I came across a really good quote from him that I wanted to share.  Have a great week everyone!

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faeriemom1972
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't do anything formal. We live in the moment for the most part. We will be attending the Life is Good conference in Vancouver Washington this May and we are looking forward to that. It will be interesting to spend some time with other unschoolers. 

jen2150
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Do you usually go every year?  Do you usually do any spring planting?  Sounds fun.  What kind of things are your kids into?  

Quoting faeriemom1972:

We don't do anything formal. We live in the moment for the most part. We will be attending the Life is Good conference in Vancouver Washington this May and we are looking forward to that. It will be interesting to spend some time with other unschoolers. 

faeriemom1972
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM

We have never been to the conference, I didn't even know it existed until last year. We are very excited. I only have one child, he will be 7 in April. My other child is a grown woman, lol. My son is a builder. He loves minecraft right now and when he's not playing it on the computer he is playing it in real life. He builds with Lego's, he likes to cut into the yard and dig little trenches, he makes up games and tells stories. I used to be an activity coordinator, so I love making schedules but they are more for me. He loves just hopping out of bed and figuring things out as he goes. I used to think everything had to be scheduled and every moment had to be an "experience", but I've lightened up considerably in the 20 plus years since I became a mother, lol.

Quoting jen2150:

Do you usually go every year?  Do you usually do any spring planting?  Sounds fun.  What kind of things are your kids into?  

Quoting faeriemom1972:

jen2150
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for sharing.  I completely agree.  

Quoting faeriemom1972:

We have never been to the conference, I didn't even know it existed until last year. We are very excited. I only have one child, he will be 7 in April. My other child is a grown woman, lol. My son is a builder. He loves minecraft right now and when he's not playing it on the computer he is playing it in real life. He builds with Lego's, he likes to cut into the yard and dig little trenches, he makes up games and tells stories. I used to be an activity coordinator, so I love making schedules but they are more for me. He loves just hopping out of bed and figuring things out as he goes. I used to think everything had to be scheduled and every moment had to be an "experience", but I've lightened up considerably in the 20 plus years since I became a mother, lol.

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting faeriemom1972:

dedicatedrider
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM

We don't do anything scheduled.  My boys have been watching a lot of Magic School Bus, and they all enjoy playing Minecraft quite oftne (they call is the "Dig, Dig Game", lol, they're 3, 4, and 5).  They play Viva Pinata on the X-Box, play superhero with blankets wrapped around their necks as capes (I need to sew up some capes for them, even the 1 year old wants to play superhero now), and pretend to be power ranges.  They love to sit and look at flash cards, and play with the learning robot my 4 year old got as a birthday present from my MIL.  We have toys split up by totes, so one day they might have their cars and robots out, and the next Little People, or play food.  They always keep busy.

In other news we're in the process of buying our first house.  We'll finally have a YARD!!!  We've been in an apartment for the past 3 1/2 years and I'm beyond ready to get out.  It's been a bit of a process and we're on house #3 at this point, but I really think this one is it.  Inspection is this afternoon so we should know soon.  It's right down the road from where my husband works, compared to the 30+ min. commute he has now so that would be a HUGE blessing.  We're also looking to be able to get a $20,000 grant toward our home purchase which will make an incredible difference on our monthly payment, hopefully that will mean more fun outings for our family with some of that freed up money.  If we get this house we'll have a tree that looks just about perfect for building a tree house in, I know in the next few years my husband would be tackling that project with our boys, how fun would that be?

Also preparing for our 5th child who's due the end of May.  We're DIYers and planning our second Unassisted home birth and can't wait!  I'm hoping the boys will be able to be present for the birth this time around, last time I had a whirlwind labor while out of the house and gave birth in a friends bath tub while my boys were at home with my SIL.  My 4 year old has been especially interested in the baby, wanting to see pictures of what the baby looks like each week, and asking LOTS of questions, I'm LOVING it!

jen2150
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Congratulations on your new house, yard, and new baby. My son's love magic school bus and mindcraft. They are really big roblox fans as well. My younger son loves to dress up as well. He has drawers of things to put on. We do we have a schedule but we only do things they ask to do. My boys are really into to science so we do a lot in that area. My oldest loves Chemistry. Yesterday he got out his science box and had a great time experimenting. They had a lot of fun. Have a great week
Quoting dedicatedrider:

We don't do anything scheduled.  My boys have been watching a lot of Magic School Bus, and they all enjoy playing Minecraft quite oftne (they call is the "Dig, Dig Game", lol, they're 3, 4, and 5).  They play Viva Pinata on the X-Box, play superhero with blankets wrapped around their necks as capes (I need to sew up some capes for them, even the 1 year old wants to play superhero now), and pretend to be power ranges.  They love to sit and look at flash cards, and play with the learning robot my 4 year old got as a birthday present from my MIL.  We have toys split up by totes, so one day they might have their cars and robots out, and the next Little People, or play food.  They always keep busy.

In other news we're in the process of buying our first house.  We'll finally have a YARD!!!  We've been in an apartment for the past 3 1/2 years and I'm beyond ready to get out.  It's been a bit of a process and we're on house #3 at this point, but I really think this one is it.  Inspection is this afternoon so we should know soon.  It's right down the road from where my husband works, compared to the 30+ min. commute he has now so that would be a HUGE blessing.  We're also looking to be able to get a $20,000 grant toward our home purchase which will make an incredible difference on our monthly payment, hopefully that will mean more fun outings for our family with some of that freed up money.  If we get this house we'll have a tree that looks just about perfect for building a tree house in, I know in the next few years my husband would be tackling that project with our boys, how fun would that be?

Also preparing for our 5th child who's due the end of May.  We're DIYers and planning our second Unassisted home birth and can't wait!  I'm hoping the boys will be able to be present for the birth this time around, last time I had a whirlwind labor while out of the house and gave birth in a friends bath tub while my boys were at home with my SIL.  My 4 year old has been especially interested in the baby, wanting to see pictures of what the baby looks like each week, and asking LOTS of questions, I'm LOVING it!

Ecoseem
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

We're trying to spend lots of time together, and serve others when we feel called.  Ds has recently had some pretty bad aggression when he's been at the babysitter's (and they actually reported us to the "behavior intervention" center) so we're just relaxing, hoping he'll open up about what's been bothering him.  Taking a trip out of state next week, so YAY!  I'm so sick of being in the same spot.

jen2150
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Where are you going if you don' mind me asking.  We love to travel.  Sorry to hear about your son.  I hope things get figured out very soon.  Sometimes it is hard for  kids to tell you what is bothering them.  Have a great trip next week!  

Quoting Ecoseem:

We're trying to spend lots of time together, and serve others when we feel called.  Ds has recently had some pretty bad aggression when he's been at the babysitter's (and they actually reported us to the "behavior intervention" center) so we're just relaxing, hoping he'll open up about what's been bothering him.  Taking a trip out of state next week, so YAY!  I'm so sick of being in the same spot.

Ecoseem
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM

We're heading to MI for my spring break with a stopover in NE Indiana and one in NW Ohio.

Quoting jen2150:

Where are you going if you don' mind me asking.  We love to travel.  Sorry to hear about your son.  I hope things get figured out very soon.  Sometimes it is hard for  kids to tell you what is bothering them.  Have a great trip next week!  

Quoting Ecoseem:

faeriemom1972
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM

First, I am so happy to hear that your boys like minecraft! My husbands coworkers were surprised to hear that Graham was playing it. I researched it, it, I thought that for the most part is was totally cool. It's not as though I'm letting him play grand theft auto, lol! Second, HOORAAY for the house with a yard!! I am so excited for you. I'm telling you, one of my biggest saving graces is Graham being able to just go out to the yard and be wild and crazy. You are going to love it!! You're pregnant right? How's it going? If I'm mistaken, sorry :/

Quoting dedicatedrider:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)