Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How is everything going? Share away!

Posted by   + Show Post

I haven't from everyone here in awhile and I thought I would just check in.  Any plans going on?   

I am currently working hard on a co-op class I will teaching soon.  I do have one problem my son keeps reading all my books ahead of time.  He simply can't help himself.  I am also currently reading George Washington's socks to my boys.  They love it. It is a very cute book.  We are also getting ready for spring.  My youngest wants to start studying botany soon.  We are getting spring fever already.  This summer I am planning a month long road trip from VA to Montana.  It is going to be quite an adventure.  We are doing a US study so it will be a lot of fun seeing some of the states we have been reading about.  I also have another problem.  My son keeps beating me at Chess.  He is teaching me how to play and he is so much better than me.  It is very humbling being beaten by a 9 year old.  I did win once but it was only because my husband was helping me.  Yesterday we played a geography game together for the first time.   My son thought it wasn't going to be fun but he changed his mind.  I have to admit we did change the rules a little bit to make it last longer. We had a great time.  

Currently, I am reading Common Sense by Thomas Paine.  It was kind of boring until I got to the parts he wrote.  I had to skip 70 pages and get past all the boring forewards by everyone else.  He really had some strong opinons.  I came across a really good quote from him that I wanted to share.  Have a great week everyone!

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Replies (11-16):
dedicatedrider
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband is BIG into gaming and found Mindcraft early on before it's "official" release.  My boys LOVE it.  Yes, I can't wait to be able to just open the door and let them run in and out all day long.  I'm excited for ME to be able to get out.... right now we're always cooped up in our apartment and it sucks.  Yep, I'm pregnant, going very smoothly.  Getting a lot easier to find a heart beat with my fetoscope now, one of these days I'll have to let the boys try to listen.... not sure I'd be able to find it with all their background noise though, lol.

Quoting faeriemom1972:

First, I am so happy to hear that your boys like minecraft! My husbands coworkers were surprised to hear that Graham was playing it. I researched it, it, I thought that for the most part is was totally cool. It's not as though I'm letting him play grand theft auto, lol! Second, HOORAAY for the house with a yard!! I am so excited for you. I'm telling you, one of my biggest saving graces is Graham being able to just go out to the yard and be wild and crazy. You are going to love it!! You're pregnant right? How's it going? If I'm mistaken, sorry :/

Quoting dedicatedrider:

We don't do anything scheduled.  My boys have been watching a lot of Magic School Bus, and they all enjoy playing Minecraft quite oftne (they call is the "Dig, Dig Game", lol, they're 3, 4, and 5).  They play Viva Pinata on the X-Box, play superhero with blankets wrapped around their necks as capes (I need to sew up some capes for them, even the 1 year old wants to play superhero now), and pretend to be power ranges.  They love to sit and look at flash cards, and play with the learning robot my 4 year old got as a birthday present from my MIL.  We have toys split up by totes, so one day they might have their cars and robots out, and the next Little People, or play food.  They always keep busy.

In other news we're in the process of buying our first house.  We'll finally have a YARD!!!  We've been in an apartment for the past 3 1/2 years and I'm beyond ready to get out.  It's been a bit of a process and we're on house #3 at this point, but I really think this one is it.  Inspection is this afternoon so we should know soon.  It's right down the road from where my husband works, compared to the 30+ min. commute he has now so that would be a HUGE blessing.  We're also looking to be able to get a $20,000 grant toward our home purchase which will make an incredible difference on our monthly payment, hopefully that will mean more fun outings for our family with some of that freed up money.  If we get this house we'll have a tree that looks just about perfect for building a tree house in, I know in the next few years my husband would be tackling that project with our boys, how fun would that be?

Also preparing for our 5th child who's due the end of May.  We're DIYers and planning our second Unassisted home birth and can't wait!  I'm hoping the boys will be able to be present for the birth this time around, last time I had a whirlwind labor while out of the house and gave birth in a friends bath tub while my boys were at home with my SIL.  My 4 year old has been especially interested in the baby, wanting to see pictures of what the baby looks like each week, and asking LOTS of questions, I'm LOVING it!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Apart from having the book I was editing crash and revert to within about 20 minutes of me starting, life is great!

Three weeks ago, I'd have said 'we' were finished homeschooling --but my youngest insisted I teach her to drive... so we've been doing that for the past two weeks. She's getting great at steering and pretty good at backing up, but the clutch is still enough of a challenge that she doesn't want to spend much time on roads yet.

So, more parking lot backing up practice will continue until she's confident...

jen2150
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM

My sons are 9 and 10 and already asking to learn.  They have awhile yet. 

Sorry to hear about the computer crash.  I have lost so much work in the past because of that.  Does homeschooling ever end?  I think as my kids get older they going to be the ones teaching me.  They are not even teenagers and they are already teaching me a lot of things.  My 10 year old wants to teach me computer science during this next year.  He has a gift for it.  He was so encouraging that I couldn't say no.  I am even learning to count in bases other than base 10.  I have to admit my son is catching on to it faster than I am.

Quoting LindaClement:

Apart from having the book I was editing crash and revert to within about 20 minutes of me starting, life is great!

Three weeks ago, I'd have said 'we' were finished homeschooling --but my youngest insisted I teach her to drive... so we've been doing that for the past two weeks. She's getting great at steering and pretty good at backing up, but the clutch is still enough of a challenge that she doesn't want to spend much time on roads yet.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Since we've tended to call what we did 'life immersion', I don't think it ends.

My mom commented that at one time I used to call her for information... and at some point, the tables turned and she realized she was calling me... so I think that's a natural progression.

Quoting jen2150:

Sorry to hear about the computer crash.  I have lost so much work in the past because of that.  Does homeschooling ever end?  I think as my kids get older they going to be the ones teaching me.  They are not even teenagers and they are already teaching me a lot of things.  My 10 year old wants to teach me computer science during this next year.  He has a gift for it.  He was so encouraging that I couldn't say no.  I am even learning to count in bases other than base 10.  I have to admit my son is catching on to it faster than I am.

Quoting LindaClement:

jen2150
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

totally agree.  I never realized before I became a parent how much I would learn from my children.  My youngest is teaching me to play chess.  The look on his face when he is teaching me is priceless.  He is also a very good teacher.

Quoting LindaClement:

My mom commented that at one time I used to call her for information... and at some point, the tables turned and she realized she was calling me... so I think that's a natural progression.

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting LindaClement:

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I loved it when my youngest would be explaining to me the street uses of some illicit drug :D

Quoting jen2150:

totally agree.  I never realized before I became a parent how much I would learn from my children.  My youngest is teaching me to play chess.  The look on his face when he is teaching me is priceless.  He is also a very good teacher.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting LindaClement:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN