Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 year old, what they NEED to know

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 184 Total Views

I am coming out the standard way of thinking about life and my kids and their learning.  My 4 year old son is in speech, and his speech therapist asked me friday if we had board games at home, I said a few.  We had candy land but most of the pieces and cards have been lost, lol.  Anyways she told me that had been doing counting while playing shoots and ladders and that it was kind of difficult for him, she said maybe you could play some board games at home, since he is having a difficult time with counting out the spaces as he goes.  I just said ok.  Later I was just thinking why is it so important that he knows this right now?  I brought this up with my husband and he said well it is a skill he will need to know.  I said he will learn it but why is it a necessary skill that he know right now, at 4 years old?  he said well they absorb things better at this young age.   I was like if its a life skill that he needs to know he will learn it and I don't see how focusing on the learning of this skill with help him "absorb" it better then when he just picks it up on his on.  I use to get so hung up on evaluations and what my kids knew on the evaluations that were being given.  I stressed so much about so many stupid things and now I am looking at my 4 year old son thinking why on earth is it even worth bringing up that he should learn how to count out spaces?

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Saracide
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I see it as something that will eventually be learned, just like reading, so why push it on them? Board games are definitely an awesome learning tool though, but at 4 they are sometimes hard to sit through. 

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM
3 moms liked this

It hasn't crossed the speech therapist's mind that he's not all that willing to perform Stupid Human Tricks?

Mommyfish831
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I assume she in the mind set that so many are in, which is that in order to progress farther without frustration he needs to get this skill down.  If he was continuing in school then maybe it would benefit him if we did focus on it, since the school environment would demand these types of skills regardless of weather they want them or not.  At this point I have unenrolled my kids from their public school and I just don't see the point in even entertaining the thought of teaching this skill, it really has no impact on his life right now.  Don't get me wrong, she is great. It was so frustrating for him to not being understood by the me and others around him.  I had no idea how to help him with speech, and she has done great with him, but she does seem to be inside the box when it comes to what children should be learning or should know at what age.

Quoting LindaClement:

It hasn't crossed the speech therapist's mind that he's not all that willing to perform Stupid Human Tricks?

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah... that's pretty far inside the box.

You know, I've never run across that 'milestone'... I've read a handful of curricula, and not once did 'counting squares on a game' come up...

Being the kind of sarcastic I am, I would likely have said something like, 'well, you can't expect anyone to give him a job with that skill, so we'll let it develop if and when it does...' :D

Quoting Mommyfish831:

I assume she in the mind set that so many are in, which is that in order to progress farther without frustration he needs to get this skill down.  If he was continuing in school then maybe it would benefit him if we did focus on it, since the school environment would demand these types of skills regardless of weather they want them or not.  At this point I have unenrolled my kids from their public school and I just don't see the point in even entertaining the thought of teaching this skill, it really has no impact on his life right now.  Don't get me wrong, she is great. It was so frustrating for him to not being understood by the me and others around him.  I had no idea how to help him with speech, and she has done great with him, but she does seem to be inside the box when it comes to what children should be learning or should know at what age.

Quoting LindaClement:

Anna92464
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a similiar problem with my son's first grade sunday school teacher.....He didn't write as well as the other kids in his class and it concerned his teacher.....sometimes we have to educate others, and they are not open to the education....I eventually took him out of Sunday School because this issue and their concern made him not like it anymore....

faeriemom1972
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM
3 moms liked this

This is the problem that I have with any group participation. People see my son and expect that he should be doing the "normal" things for a child his age. Well, he is doing normal things for a child his age. He has the freedom to run outside and play almost anytime he likes, he kicks butt at Mario Kart and he builds the most beautiful minecraft worlds I've ever seen. (though I admit I've not seen many and I'm biased, lol) He's also an amazing conversationalist. I never feel lonely for adult conversation, but at the same time, he isn't mimicking adults either. He's just got a good vocabulary. 

Quoting Anna92464:

I had a similiar problem with my son's first grade sunday school teacher.....He didn't write as well as the other kids in his class and it concerned his teacher.....sometimes we have to educate others, and they are not open to the education....I eventually took him out of Sunday School because this issue and their concern made him not like it anymore....

Lavi01
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm new to the group, but I must say that children learn at different paces and I agree with you moms.  When we find something my son likes we encourage it; we also use it as a teaching tool to learn other things. For instance, he likes using my phone to "order pizza" because you can choose the toppings and it has little pictures of each.  At the end you have to enter you birthday in mm/dd/yy format and I used it to teach him the months in the year. Now when he builds the pizza he has fun witht that part of the app at the end too.  Kids are so bright at 4 it's amazing what they learn when we're not even looking!

Quoting faeriemom1972:

This is the problem that I have with any group participation. People see my son and expect that he should be doing the "normal" things for a child his age. Well, he is doing normal things for a child his age. He has the freedom to run outside and play almost anytime he likes, he kicks butt at Mario Kart and he builds the most beautiful minecraft worlds I've ever seen. (though I admit I've not seen many and I'm biased, lol) He's also an amazing conversationalist. I never feel lonely for adult conversation, but at the same time, he isn't mimicking adults either. He's just got a good vocabulary. 

Quoting Anna92464:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)