Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Different personalities/interests?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 124 Total Views

How do you ladies reconcile the issues when you have vastly different interests than your children, and they really despise your activities? 

I ask because ds wants to go to Disneyland this year, which is fine, and to save money/get experience, we'll be driving and camping along the way.  Ds is 5, and really isn't into camping.  He's a hotel kinda guy, and has been balking at the idea of being outside for 10 nights as we travel.  We've talked about the fact that if we stay in hotels, we can't afford to even make the trip, and he's alright with that, but he doesn't want to walk around and explore the area while we're there.  I can't leave him alone to go explore by myself, and there are no other adults that are willing to come with us (I'm single, his dad has no interest in him other than his every two weeks).

I could just say okay, and stay in our tent the whole time, but I've never been that far from home, and I doubt I will get to go back, and I'm frustrated.

How do you handle these things?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
CaitsCookies
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Keep it low-key. When you get to a new campsite, get him involved in helping set up the site. Make fixing your meals a fun thing to do together. Sit at your campsite and watch the birds and flowers you can see. Then maybe suggest a walk to work the kinks out of your legs. Let him take pictures for a "report" on your trip or do a video log.
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

No one in our home was ever allowed to monopolize the activities with their personal preferences.

I would save up until I could afford the kind of trip that is suitable to everyone: alternate camping nights with hotel nights ... or camping there and hotelling back. Or fly down and back and save the camping for a different trip (the difference in gas cost may actually make it so the stay in the hotel isn't the dealbreaker...)

Strangely, the idea of asking kids how they wanted to travel was never on our mental agenda: we told them when we were going camping, and when we were doing to Disneyland --not the other way 'round. Of course, they got to Disney once, but we camped pretty much every year... much, much closer to home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)