Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think we are the weird unsocialized homeschoolers

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 171 Total Views

My nephew is outside playing (it is beautiful out) and my kids are all watching Jurassic park lol.  They are 6, 4, and 2 by the way, they've pretty much had as much time to play as they've wanted since I took my two oldest out of school a month and a half ago, so I am not really worried that they "shouldn't" be watching TV while there is beautiful sun shine outside.  I just find it amusing that my young children are so interested in Jurassic park, which is geared towards a much older audience.

by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
faeriemom1972
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Lol, we don't have a lot of "shouldn't" in our house. We love Jurassic Park! My son has been watching since he was about 4. We recently took him to see it in 3-D. When the big T-Rex came out and started doing his thing my son leaned in and whispered -"uh-oh mom, shit just got real!"

CaitsCookies
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
We let 10yo SS watch a movie set 2 yrs before the Civil War the other day, then read a book the next day abt a black family visiting Mississippi before the Civil Rights Movement. It gave rise to some interesting questions. This week, he's been watching season 1 of The Andy Griffith Show.
LindaClement
by Group Owner on May. 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM

That's funny!

Mommyfish831
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Ya, I pretty much have relaxed on a lot of the things I was so up tight about.  My 4 year old loves skylanders.  He would ask me everyday after preschool if he could play and I'd usually say not today (I was like he shouldn't play to many videos games). After I decided to homeschool I really changed how I thought about everything my kids do.  So one day I let him play until we had to go somewhere (it had been a good 4 hours probably) and he turned it off with no arguments.  The next day he played for maybe 2 hours then he didn't ask to play for while, then when he did he played for about an hour and turned it off by himself.  Now he asks maybe once a week if that.   And my oldest loves scary movies but the most I ever let her watch was the haunting hour on the hub.  So when I started to relax I told my husband (since i cant ti horror or scarry really) as long as there wasn't a ton of cursing, or any nudity or really graphic stuff in the movie then she could watch it.  So her new favorite movies to watch are, tremors, legend, Jurassic park (which they like) and the mummy.  

Also I think that's hilarious you son said "shit just got real" I probably would have bust out laughing.

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Lol, we don't have a lot of "shouldn't" in our house. We love Jurassic Park! My son has been watching since he was about 4. We recently took him to see it in 3-D. When the big T-Rex came out and started doing his thing my son leaned in and whispered -"uh-oh mom, shit just got real!"

Mommyfish831
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM

We watch the Andy griffin show too on Netflix and mcguyver.  They don't like the munsters or Star Wars (but my son likes anything else that is Star Wars related lol)

Quoting CaitsCookies:

We let 10yo SS watch a movie set 2 yrs before the Civil War the other day, then read a book the next day abt a black family visiting Mississippi before the Civil Rights Movement. It gave rise to some interesting questions. This week, he's been watching season 1 of The Andy Griffith Show.

Ecoseem
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't feel too weird, ds has now 3 times asked if he could play chess instead of going to the park. 

I think we all just need a break from those noisy kids, regardless of our age.

CaitsCookies
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommyfish831:

We watch the Andy griffin show too on Netflix and mcguyver.  

We also have MacGyver. I wonder how wise it is to let him watch all that ingenuity. lol
Mommyfish831
by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this

He will be like my husband.  I call him mcguyver, he is so clever and imaginative, he can pretty much mcguyver anything he needs lol.  

Quoting CaitsCookies:

Quoting Mommyfish831:

We watch the Andy griffin show too on Netflix and mcguyver.  

We also have MacGyver. I wonder how wise it is to let him watch all that ingenuity. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)