Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

#unschooling #firstdayofunschooling #excitedkidsandmama
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Replies (11-11):
LindaClement
by Group Owner on May. 29, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Relaxing deep breaths are a great idea. Also, lying on the living room floor until the feeling passes can help :D

Truly: he will on his own, when he is ready and has a personal reason to. You can trust that, above all else.

You can also trust that for some people, they GENUINELY never need to. And that's okay. You probably never need to understand machinery at a visceral level... it's good that some people do.

It's not because you use an e-reader that he 'associates it with technology.' It's because his INTEREST lies in that direction. Really: indulge that interest, it's the best means for him to find out what he wants to do, and who he really is.

I do understand the vision problem... and I have heard that it is caused by kids using limited focal ranges early on. Not just from reading too early, but too much response to one distance.

Did you know that traditional jungle people grow to adulthood without the ability to interpret 2D photos or drawings... or understand how size changes over distance?

Everything that happens to your brain is a result of what you do with it lots. 10,000 hours = mastery :D

Quoting Saracide:

You are absolutely right! Thank you for your rant :)
I see the resistance every time I try to get him to read with me. He simply does not enjoy it, and does not really enjoy being read to either. I know, it is always about the reading and writing and math. I know he does read on his own - when he is playing video games or looking at a Lego magazine. I guess I just have to let go of all expectations here, regardless of the way I feel about it, and let him do his own thing.
I am definitely a reader. Sometimes I think he gets the wrong idea because most of what I read is on the internet or from my e-reader, thus, he associates technology with reading, maybe? He sure doesn't argue when I ask him to read while he is playing games or finding videos on YouTube.
Reading is just one of the harder things for me to let go. I was reading before I was even in Kindergarten. My parents expected me to be having my son reading before that time as well. I think outside pressure and judgment has made me get to the point where I try to force it on him, and you are right, I need to back off.
He also has accommodative infacility - a problem with his eyes not focusing like normal when changing focal points to different depths. (Did that make sense?) His eye doctor said it is a result of, get this, "forcing kids to read before they are developmentally ready."
Guess I need to take some deep breaths and relax!

Quoting LindaClement:

I'd strongly recommend leaving 'enjoying reading' out your goals for him... because I've seen this go so badly (why is it always about reading?!?) so often.

Whatever you press will be met with resistance. That's a fundamental rule of humans. If you really want him to learn to enjoy reading, you have to wait for him to discover his joy in reading. If you press him to enjoy reading, he will resist the pressure --one way or another, and it will contribute to misery (in both of you) not joy.

Here's my stock rant on the subject, offered for your consideration. Feel free to ignore me :D

I suggest stepping back, and looking for what he does enjoy ... and then seeing if you can understand where the joy in that comes from. See if you can, from a different perspective, think up a respectable reason to interrupt him doing what he is enjoying, to do something he does not enjoy but you do.

I understand the love of reading: I'm a compulsive myself. It is not everyone's joy --nor should it be.

I can horrify a huge swathe of the population in less than 20 words: I could not care less if I never heard another piece of music for the remainder of my life.

That's how some people feel about reading: however much joy it brings YOU is about what you should do with your time, not what anyone else should do, or enjoy...

The entire WORLD offers a infinite volumes of learning; reading is only one possible means to encounter that learning, not the only.

... rant ends ...

Quoting Saracide:

Looks fun! I never schedule things either. It's always spur of the moment, whatever the kiddo is into at the time. Takes us to some pretty interesting stuff and some awesome conversations. 

I don't really have a schedule, but my goal for the summer is to get him reading more. He HATES reading, and I just want him to learn so he can enjoy learning more independently. I'm not worried about him being behind or anything, just wish he would enjoy it more because there is so much he can learn from reading!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN