Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made the mistake

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 193 Total Views
1 mom liked this
of reading the "highlighted" post in the mom confessions group about the mom whose daughter pierced her own lip. The first 5 comments included grounding for the entire summer and therapy for self mutilation. *sigh* Self expression is not mutilation.

Anyway....anybody have any personal/educational/family goals for the summer?
I've decided that I want to devote more individual attention to my oldest. My youngest is my little shadow, so we're always close (physically but also emotionally). My oldest is very independent tho. With all of the distractions of the past year (multiple moves, divorce, working outside the home for the first time since having kids, my bout of depression) I feel like we've grown a bit distant, so fostering and developing a stronger relationship now that we have a new family dynamic is my goal for the summer (well, indefinitely).
If also like to play more board games as a family, and read a while series out loud to them. I'm thinking Susan Fletcher's Dragon's Milk series.

Anybody else feel like the summer is more productive than the winter? All the vitamin D does my motivation levels wonders!
by on May. 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LindaClement
by Group Owner on May. 25, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Whew!

I like your plans for the summer! 

I'm probably going to see much less of our younger: she's got a lot more hours for the summer and is plotting a car purchase so she can drive herself to work... she already lives out on her own, but I've been in the car with her a lot since the bus strike started, and now that she's learning to drive...

Mostly, it's ball season until the end of July at least... that takes up a lot of my time.

jen2150
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM

This summer I am going up a belt in karate,   We are also starting a botany study this summer.  Sunday we are doing some plantings.  We have some perenials, tomato, cucumber, and a blueberry bush to plant yet.  This summer we are also going on a road trip.  We are driving from VA to Montanna.  We will be stopping in MI and SD.  My main big project this summer is getting ready for the co-op that I am running.  I am teaching two classes next year.  Creative Math and physics.  I got the idea of doing a creative math class from watching my son playing with math and having fun.  We will be using k'nex, oragami, art, and reading books to learn about Math.  My son has already tried a lot of the projects in the books I have already ordered.  Everytime I get a new math book he is always all over it.  There are so many fun things you can do with math.  My sons also love physics as well.   Science and math are their biggest passions.  My younger son is all about nature studies and my older son loves chemistry and physics.  I have a feeling I will not be having a lazy summer.  It will be a lot of fun though.  It is going to go by so fast.  I will gone for about 6 weeks when I go on my trip with my sons.  My husband will be staying home having a vacation of his own.  When he has time off normally he wants to just stay home and relax with a little yard work on the side.  I also plan on finsihing reading the book George washinton's socks to my children.

jen2150
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I also wanted to add I make that mistake all the time.  I probably need to stop visiting and spend more time on my more positive groups.  I have met some great moms over there and was able to offer some help to people looking to homeschool every once in a while.

MrsSamMerlotte
by New Member on May. 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Self expression is not mutilation, but a 12 year old should not be piercing herself after her parents told her no imo. So she should have some sort of consequence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Group Owner on May. 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the consequence is reality: now you have a hole in your lip which even if it heals over in time will be a visible scar.

The problem with punishment is that it takes the focus OFF reality and puts it onto the 'mean' parents or the 'justified' rebellion. Instead of learning anything valuable about making choices, they concentrate on retaining their own power... without rethinking their choices or their implications.

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Self expression is not mutilation, but a 12 year old should not be piercing herself after her parents told her no imo. So she should have some sort of consequence.

faeriemom1972
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG!! I saw that one, but I stayed out of it because I remember how proud I was when my dd pierced her lip, lol. I loved that she took the initiative!

Anyway, I have some personal goals but I think my son is still enjoying his seat of the pants flights, lol. Good luck with your goals, they sound great. I'm solar powered as well, but I live in Washington state so I take 4000 iu's of vit D every day to stay on top, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)