Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back From Vacation

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 212 Total Views
Every year for the first week of July my dad's side of the family gets together to visit. We all head up to my aunt's house in northern Wisconsin. This year we only got to stay 1/2 the week due to work scheduling, but the few days we were there were amazing. They live on what used to be a lake resort. We spend the whole time playing in the lake, boating, fishing, kayaking, hiking and reading. We saw all coherent kind of fish, birds, ducks, frogs, turtles, and we even saw the adorable baby raccoons (last year we saw bears, but this year they passed thru 15 minutes before we arrived). The kids spent all day devising methods to catch minnows and working up the nerve to swim to the floating platform a few yards off shore. It's just such an incredible time and it got me wishing that wet lived in a place more like that. Living in a subdivision in the suburbs doesn't give us a whole lot of diversity. Nor does it give us a lot of room for outside exploring. Luckily we'll be ready to buy in a few years. We're looking into some areas that are far enough away to give us the setting we want for the kids, but close enough to family for it to be an easy trip to visit. Anyway, I just wanted to share our fun from the week. It was certainly this Unschooler's dream!
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Sound like a wonderful experience!

irvinehiker
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this

That's awesome!!  What part of northern Wisconsin?  I'm near Eau Claire.  :)

songbird2716
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
We were on the middle Eau Claire lake :)
irvinehiker
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm about 3 hours south of the that area.  That is a beautiful area!  I went to college in Ashland not too far from there. There is so much unspoiled beauty to see.

Quoting songbird2716:

We were on the middle Eau Claire lake :)

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this

When we drove to visit my sister in Michigan, we stayed in Eau Claire on purpose, because we remembered liking it from when we drove from the East Coast to the West...

songbird2716
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM
If it weren't for the winters thoroughly kicking my butt, I'd move up there in a heartbeat. But the 6-9 months of the year that are cold and wet would do me in.
jen2150
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

welcome back and it sounds awesome.  We are just getting ready to go on vacation in a couple of days  We will gone a long time.  We live in the country and raise a small hobby farm and love it.  We don't have a pond or anything like that.  We are thinking of building a small man made stream.  We would love a small lake of pond. Have a great summer.

faeriemom1972
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

How fun! I can picture those old summer resorts :) We live in the woods, lol, so my sons favourite vacation is getting a hotel room in Seattle and having a "city day".

songbird2716
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:18 PM
That's the way I'd have it if I could!

Quoting faeriemom1972:

How fun! I can picture those old summer resorts :) We live in the woods, lol, so my sons favourite vacation is getting a hotel room in Seattle and having a "city day".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)