Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bouncing but not "schooling"

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 210 Total Views
My son is nearly 5 in a little over a month and the public school system wont let him in because of his bday etc etc. Anyways he had went to a preschool because he wanted to go like his big brother who also chose to go to school outside of the home. He loves the structure apparently lol ANYWAYS my 4 year old, we started him on k12 which we had done with the oldest but he just cannot handle it, and well neither can i. ITS SO involved and demanding! However, he is SO excited to learn. He just bounces all over the place and cannot sit still or stay focused to take the time to do the lessons. It takes us ALL day and I feel like im just stressing him out and then neglecting my younger two girls and my housework. SO im hoping to find some good resrouces to school him with little cost AND to engage his busy busy body as well as his mind.
by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jen2150
by Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Just follow his lead especially at this age.  What does he like and enjoy doing?   I had a bouncing boy he learned to count while jumping on our mini trampoline.  We even took turns jumping while counting.   I suggest making everything hands on.  Are you looking to homeschool him long term or just short term?

irvinehiker
by Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I agree with Jen2150 here.  Just follow his lead and he will learn what he needs to.  If he's interested in learning about the letter S, than find s words, and do s art work, or whatever he is in to.  Many times we parents try to complicate education.  Children are wired to learn we just need to provide the resources WHEN they ask.  :)

jessradtke
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I agree. If a kid truly likes that much structure, go for it, but there's no actual need for it at that age. I also think that if a child really wants to learn it's silly to hold them back just because they don't "need" to learn it yet or aren't capable of sitting still and reading it in a book. There are SO many other ways of helping a child who wants to learn do so. I had a bouncy one too and he was also a sponge. He was always wanting to learn things that were WAY beyond his reading level, so I found lots of other ways to help him learn. One of his favorite things was to put in a video or CD and bounce on the mini trampoline. We listened to lots of audio books that way. We also did things like learning Spanish words and songs, watching documentaries and playing games. For example, he liked it when I gave him addition problems and he would bounce the answers, or when I gave him subtraction problems and he would put stuffed animals on the trampoline and try to bounce off the right number. Bouncers often like to do things BIG too. If your son's like that he might like to make what we called "chalk games" out of some of the stuff he wants to learn. Sometimes we did it on pieces of paper taped down in the hallway, but my son liked doing it on the patio in chalk the best. I got the idea from a friend of ours who liked to make file folder games. My son liked her daughter's games but couldn't always sit still to play them, so I re-drew them on pieces of paper or on the patio in chalk and he either used his body or big toys as pieces. Sometimes they were simple things like number lines or fill in the blanks, other times they were elaborate game boards. Doing things like spelling words or counting while bouncing a ball or riding a scooter or jumping rope are also possibilities. My son also liked mazes, maps and connect the dots so we would make simple ones with the chalk or string. There are lots of possibilities. There are web sites and pinterest boards with ideas for sidewalk chalk activities, file folder games, and activities for kinesthetic learners. The important thing, in my opinion, is to keep it fun and never force. Follow his lead with enthusiasm, but at the same time don't be afraid to introduce him to new ideas. It's okay to say, "Hey, would you like to try this?" as long as you are willing to accept his answer.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I never allowed my children to choose to go to school. Wrote a blog post about that long ago...

lovingarmstrong
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My husband and I talked it over and we are going to be pulling him out of k12.com tomorrow. Today I asked him what he wanted to learn about and while standing on his head he screams "frogs!" This is his nana's favorite animal lol SO i printed out a make your own frog book and life cycle page and then we played leap frog and then sang 5 speckled frogs! It was lots of fun and I love teaching this way cause even his little sisters (35 months and 18 months) were able to join in and learn. :) Excited to see what they will choose for the topic tomorrow. We are also planning on taking a trip to the park and having a pic nic

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN