Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easier in rural or urban areas?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 285 Total Views

I'm curious on this, since we may have an opportunity to move to the sticks instead of the 'burbs, where we currently are.  Do you think unschooling is "better" or more beneficial in one environment over another?   By rural, I'm talking an hour from the city and enough acreage to 4wheel on.  Which would your kids do better in? 

by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faeriemom1972
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I had an answer all written out, lol, but we are not as rural as I think we are. We live on a couple of acres in the woods, but we have little towns around us and Seattle is only about 45 minutes away. 

Will you be an hour from everything? Or just a major city?

Ecoseem
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Closest major city would be a solid hour away, the city where we currently are located, which is bigger, would be about an hour and a half away. 

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I wouldn't move to the sticks because of what happens when kids get involved in stuff... I never wanted to live that much of my life in the car. There is so little to do 'out there' --ball teams, choirs, gymnastics clubs, ice rinks, libraries... they're all in town.

It's fine when they're little, but when they're 11, 12, 14... and can't drive but want to be involved, it's a real pain.

I'm a townie --love visiting the wilds, but wouldn't live there. I like being able to walk to the library :D

Anna92464
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I don't think it's easier in a rural area, but I like rural life.  We live on 3 acres in a small town an hour away from a city.  I feel like we get the best of both worlds, but being in the car a lot would be a pain if you don't enjoy that aspect of having both. 

faeriemom1972
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Yeah, I don't know. We have small towns close enough that we aren't isolated. I think it would be hard to be an hour away from true civilization.

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

How far away from 'civilization' would you be on foot?

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Yeah, I don't know. We have small towns close enough that we aren't isolated. I think it would be hard to be an hour away from true civilization.

faeriemom1972
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Not far enough, lol. I live on the Tulalip Indian reservation. The worst thing to happen was Walmart across the street, lol. Not close enough to see, but close enough to walk to if I shopped at Walmart. 

Not that I consider Walmart civilized mind you, but you get the idea.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting faeriemom1972:

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I actually meant the kinds of civilized resources like libraries, museums, sports teams, social clubs, community centres, recreation facilities, etc... that your kids might want to get into when they're older.

The more they (and you) can walk to, the easier your life will be as they move into the bigger world and still can't drive :D

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Not far enough, lol. I live on the Tulalip Indian reservation. The worst thing to happen was Walmart across the street, lol. Not close enough to see, but close enough to walk to if I shopped at Walmart. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting faeriemom1972:

faeriemom1972
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Lol, there's my duh moment of the day.

There is actually quite a bit within reasonable driving/biking distance. We have a pretty decent library and a really good parks & rec department. Most of the really good museums are in Seattle, but I don't mind making a trip there once a week. It's Marysville Washington, a stereotypical small town with stereotypical townies. I don't want Graham to be a townie, so hopefully he'll find something to keep him from hanging out in the Fred Meyer parking lot at 10pm, lol. That's my big goal Linda, to keep my wonderful little wizard from becoming a townie :/

Quoting LindaClement:

I actually meant the kinds of civilized resources like libraries, museums, sports teams, social clubs, community centres, recreation facilities, etc... that your kids might want to get into when they're older.

The more they (and you) can walk to, the easier your life will be as they move into the bigger world and still can't drive :D

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting faeriemom1972:

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM

My kids are both city born and bred, and have much better things to do than hang around in parking lots...

... not the least because of a dangerously-counterculture rule at our house: you're allowed here and so are your friends.

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Lol, there's my duh moment of the day.

There is actually quite a bit within reasonable driving/biking distance. We have a pretty decent library and a really good parks & rec department. Most of the really good museums are in Seattle, but I don't mind making a trip there once a week. It's Marysville Washington, a stereotypical small town with stereotypical townies. I don't want Graham to be a townie, so hopefully he'll find something to keep him from hanging out in the Fred Meyer parking lot at 10pm, lol. That's my big goal Linda, to keep my wonderful little wizard from becoming a townie :/

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)