Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 year old

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:39 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 144 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I have been learning a lot about how learning happens.  I still have a hard time letting go of the idea of the need to "teach". My 3 year old is always surprising me and showing me how little "teaching" I really need to do.  Months ago I was pleasantly surprised to see her counting to 10, not objects or for hide and seek just counting, just counting out loud for fun. I just made a mental note and was happy to see she had picked up something.  Yesterday she was sitting on the counter while I was cracking eggs for breakfast.  I was counting in my head and as I cracked the 5th one she says out loud 5, after she had been sitting silently watching.  I said yes that's 5 and I was just going to do 5 but I wanted to see her do more so I kept going.  She then said 6, 7, 8 as I cracked them. I was proud of her and excited to see she had moved from counting out loud because it was fun to making the connection between counting and objects in real life. She doesn't realize that she's made a huge leap in learning, all this is just normal to her.  I am so proud though and pretty excited to see natural learning in action.  

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM

That's a great story!

Thanks for sharing it!

faeriemom1972
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Isn't it amazing?! The first time I realized my son was doing math (out of necessity for a project he was doing) I was actually blown away. I didn't "teach" that, he figured it out because it was something he needed to know. Talk about feeling validated!

Mommyfish831
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Ya and my 6 year old has done multiplication.  She also has no idea she's doing math far beyond what 6 year olds are "suppose" to know.  

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Isn't it amazing?! The first time I realized my son was doing math (out of necessity for a project he was doing) I was actually blown away. I didn't "teach" that, he figured it out because it was something he needed to know. Talk about feeling validated!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM
2 moms liked this

My most-hilarious-math-moment in my kids' lives was when the 14yo was helping the 16yo's 17yo friend with her advanced math homework.

That is: explaining it to her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)