Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just wanted to share :)

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 116 Total Views
1 mom liked this

My five year old is patiently waiting for me to be done on the computer so she can go on it and all of a sudden I hear her talking to her imaginary friend. So I look over and here she is reading out of the encyclopedia pointing to all the maps on the page and talking about them. Not totally sure what she is saying but all I thought is this is why I'm doing what I'm doing!!!!! Hpw many other five year olds are enamored with maps or better yet are allowed to be? :) 

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mommyfish831
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM

My oldest was in preschool 2 years and kinder for almost 1.  They did an art project in preschool when she was about 5.  They made a planet from a Styrofoam ball, painted it and named it.  As parents picked up their kids and walked by the line of other parents waiting, they talked to their kids and I saw many of them ones that other kids did before I got to the door to pick up my daughter.  Some named their planets after themselves, others named them from things they liked or some did not name their planet and just painted it.  I got to the door to pick up my daughter and she showed me her planet that she painted red and named mars.  I was astonished that my 5 year old knew mars was a planet and that it is red.  (When I started to think about homeschooling that was one of the factors.)  She picked that up from watching documentaries with her dad, he watches everything, from anime, action, horror, to documentaries but keeps it pretty kid friendly when the kids are around and they land on documentaries a lot, most of them are amied at adults so there is no dumbing down or kiddy talk just straight forward facts.  That experience reconfirmed my Maya Angelou learning philosophy.  "I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel" I believe that an emotional connectiontied to learning makes what is being learned a part of someone and there's no need to drill or test.  It just is something they now know.  I have witnessed it several times since I started thinking about homeschooling.  We are not "Unschoolers" but I think we are pretty relaxed when looking at the whole of how many people home school and everyday I see something that shows me I don't need to be so worried about "teaching". 

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM

That is so cool!!

LindaClement
by Group Owner on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a great story!

Our kids ended up watching a lot of the science programming we were watching, mostly without us noticing. We were watching it out of interest, they wanted to talk to us about what was going on in their world, so naturally the two overlapped...

Quoting Mommyfish831:

My oldest was in preschool 2 years and kinder for almost 1.  They did an art project in preschool when she was about 5.  They made a planet from a Styrofoam ball, painted it and named it.  As parents picked up their kids and walked by the line of other parents waiting, they talked to their kids and I saw many of them ones that other kids did before I got to the door to pick up my daughter.  Some named their planets after themselves, others named them from things they liked or some did not name their planet and just painted it.  I got to the door to pick up my daughter and she showed me her planet that she painted red and named mars.  I was astonished that my 5 year old knew mars was a planet and that it is red.  (When I started to think about homeschooling that was one of the factors.)  She picked that up from watching documentaries with her dad, he watches everything, from anime, action, horror, to documentaries but keeps it pretty kid friendly when the kids are around and they land on documentaries a lot, most of them are amied at adults so there is no dumbing down or kiddy talk just straight forward facts.  That experience reconfirmed my Maya Angelou learning philosophy.  "I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel" I believe that an emotional connectiontied to learning makes what is being learned a part of someone and there's no need to drill or test.  It just is something they now know.  I have witnessed it several times since I started thinking about homeschooling.  We are not "Unschoolers" but I think we are pretty relaxed when looking at the whole of how many people home school and everyday I see something that shows me I don't need to be so worried about "teaching". 

faeriemom1972
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

YES!!!!!

faeriemom1972
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM

That's awesome!

Quoting Mommyfish831:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)